PDA

View Full Version : Leimbach pump motor options?

SmallHaul
01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
I am working on a Wedico Loader that needs a new pump motor and I am wondering what my options are?

Has anyone put a brushless motor on one?

If I get another brushed motor is there an aftermarket one that is better than the one from leimbach?

Lil Giants
01-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I believe the motor Leimbach is using now is Johnson.

At one time many europeans were replacing this motor with one from Faulhaber, which had a much greater efficiency & drew less amperage. I don't recall the part#, but I do remember it being a couple hundred $ item.

What's wrong with current motor? Is the pump seeping oil into it?

SmallHaul
01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
I believe the motor Leimbach is using now is Johnson.

At one time many europeans were replacing this motor with one from Faulhaber, which had a much greater efficiency & drew less amperage. I don't recall the part#, but I do remember it being a couple hundred $ item.

What's wrong with current motor? Is the pump seeping oil into it?

The motor was saturated when Jimmy bought it used and then at the show it was accidentally saturated with oil again and fried this time.

I don't believe there is a leak or problem with the pump or the lines just oil mistakenly spilled onto it first during shipping and then second from filling it. Because I pulled the fried motor out and it was nice and dry inside where the coupler is which I was happy to see.

I would think that someone would have found a nice aftermarket brushless motor system that would work nice but, I couldn't really find anything via google.

Espeefan
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Odd as it sounds, I saw at least one guy running a stock Tamiya silver can on his Stahl bucket dozer's pump. Same thing happened to his motor. Oil got inside it, and shorted it out. If it works good, and it looked like it did, from the videos he posted, it'd be a nice, cheap option. Sorry I really can't offer any help on finding a brushless motor. I always thought most brushless motors, driving pumps, had remote mounted motor plates and ran a belt drive to the pump, via sprockets?

SmallHaul
01-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Odd as it sounds, I saw at least one guy running a stock Tamiya silver can on his Stahl bucket dozer's pump. Same thing happened to his motor. Oil got inside it, and shorted it out. If it works good, and it looked like it did, from the videos he posted, it'd be a nice, cheap option. Sorry I really can't offer any help on finding a brushless motor. I always thought most brushless motors, driving pumps, had remote mounted motor plates and ran a belt drive to the pump, via sprockets?

I actually have a stock tamiya (metal back end) in the loader now but, I had to power it with an esc because the full 12 volts from the battery was way too fast.

Espeefan
01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Hmm, I wonder then, if that guy ran the pump on 7.2 volts? Stock silver cans are 27 turn motors, so maybe a 45 or 55 turn would be perfect?

Michael S
01-23-2012, 03:38 AM
I have been runnig a LRP Trukpuller 2 7,2 volt at 12 v in a stahl excavator

SmallHaul
01-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Hmm, I wonder then, if that guy ran the pump on 7.2 volts? Stock silver cans are 27 turn motors, so maybe a 45 or 55 turn would be perfect?

He might have just lowered the voltage with an esc?

Great info, I was thinking about trying an 80T crawler motor. I guess I'll order one and try it. Are you powering your motor direct with 12 volts or are you using an esc?

Michael S
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Great info, I was thinking about trying an 80T crawler motor. I guess I'll order one and try it. Are you powering your motor direct with 12 volts or are you using an esc?

it ran with an esc but on maksimum, but now i have a JUNG pump and i have mixed my radio so the motor only runs when i use a function on my excavator

rcguyfarms
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Great info, I was thinking about trying an 80T crawler motor.

don't waste ur money on 80t. A 80t on 12v will not work, I have tried it. Only close motor I have used is lrp truck motor on 12v.

SmallHaul
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give the rc4wd 80T motor a shot and see how much current it draws at 170 psi.

don't waste ur money on 80t. A 80t on 12v will not work, I have tried it. Only close motor I have used is lrp truck motor on 12v.

I looked up the specs and the LRP Truckpuller 2 is an 80T motor so, I went ahead and ordered the rc4wd 80T motor to try. I figured for $15 shipped it was worth a shot.

Blender
01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
i ran a holmes hobbies crawlmaster sport outrunner on my leimbach pump. it was completely bolt on. It was a little fast with a 950kv rating, but that's easy to dial down with a simple airplane speed controller.

I've since swapped to a tiny outrunner it's only half an inch long and spins a little slower than the crawlmaster. So far no problems, but the machine hasn't seen much use. I'll snap a picture when i can. It's comically small.

trucker n
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
do you have a link to that motor and does it bolt up same as stock motor

Blender
01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
This one (http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=117&cat=19&page=1) will bolt up without any mods, although it will spin a little faster that the one i used before.

I can't remember the specs on this little guy, but it needed a custom adapter plate and i had to cut another motor coupler to accept the 2 mm shaft.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/ToyTundra/Forklift/telehandlersmalloutrunner.jpg

SmallHaul
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Well, the rc4wd 80T motor works nice. It only pulls .5 amps at 8.3 volts and 190 psi.

I ran for an hour and 15 minutes on one charge so, that is pretty good. That was running it almost non-stop though so, maybe 1 1/2 hours or more if resting between loading trucks.

The motor sits at about 90 degrees and the esc sits at about 96 degrees.:-)

Video of current draw with the pump running constantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaeCCaclUtU&list=UUh8Hp_o3QbBWIWHuSZKOPBw&index=1&feature=plcp

Video with DX7s and mixing on the hydraulic functions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUh8Hp_o3QbBWIWHuSZKOPBw&v=6KwmQ0jbep4&NR=1&feature=endscreen

elliot330
01-28-2012, 04:51 PM
fantastic result.. and the bucket and boom move a lot quicker now.

SmallHaul
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
fantastic result.. and the bucket and boom move a lot quicker now.

Thanks, here is a video with sound on and off so that you can hear when the pump is running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoK_atzG4hU&feature=plcp&context=C306f744UDOEgsToPDskINS0VAu_vX_EuC2dhah0mM

Espeefan
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Great video. Seems like you found a winner there. Amp draw seems very reasonable!

Lil Giants
01-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Well done Scott. :cool:

My 922 is the only one I ever put a guage on & I set the press to 15bar (210psi).

The older two hoes, the press could have been higher, I had an amp meter wired in thru the plug... cyls moving - 1.1, no movement - 2.1amp.

Your due dillengence has paid off & benifited all of us. Thank you. :cool:

rcguyfarms
01-28-2012, 10:01 PM
that motor seems to be working better then I experienced with mine. I wounder if my pump is out of wack.

SmallHaul
01-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Great video. Seems like you found a winner there. Amp draw seems very reasonable!

Thanks!

Well done Scott. :cool:

My 922 is the only one I ever put a guage on & I set the press to 15bar (210psi).

The older two hoes, the press could have been higher, I had an amp meter wired in thru the plug... cyls moving - 1.1, no movement - 2.1amp.

Your due dillengence has paid off & benifited all of us. Thank you. :cool:

You are welcome Joe. The info you gave me on the rpm to shoot for is what made me try the rc4wd 80T so, thank you too.:)

that motor seems to be working better then I experienced with mine. I wounder if my pump is out of wack.

You might not have been feeding the voltage and load that the motor operates at the most efficiently. I started out by feeding the motor 7.2 volts and when the cylinder speed wasn't fast enough I kept raising the voltage in small amounts until I found the most speed, least pressure & least current draw... The sweet spot for this motor, pump & fluid was around 8.3 volts, .5 amps and about 190psi.

rcguyfarms
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
You might not have been feeding the voltage and load that the motor operates at the most efficiently. I started out by feeding the motor 7.2 volts and when the cylinder speed wasn't fast enough I kept raising the voltage in small amounts until I found the most speed, least pressure & least current draw... The sweet spot for this motor, pump & fluid was around 8.3 volts, .5 amps and about 190psi.

I tested with 12v direct to the motor. I might try 6 cell battery. I might ask are u running a second lower voltage battery or are using the esc to lower the voltage? my down pump in the excavator that is tether to a 12v dc source. I have no need to run an esc on the pump.

SmallHaul
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
I tested with 12v direct to the motor. I might try 6 cell battery. I might ask are u running a second lower voltage battery or are using the esc to lower the voltage? my down pump in the excavator that is tether to a 12v dc source. I have no need to run an esc on the pump.

I am using the stock 12v nmih pack and a tamiya esc to limit the voltage to the pump. I have it setup so that the maximum voltage out of the esc is about 8.3 volts (tricked the esc programing into thinking full throttle isn't 100%) that way the pump is always running at the best rpm when any of the hydraulic sticks are at full throw.

grumpygrady
01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
ahhhhhhhhh gentlemen oil will not short out anything electric as it will not conduct electricity
if your motor shorted out it was something else but if your oil is full of metal shavings then it will short your motor out
may have soaked the brushes
we use oil in most big transformers to cool and protect the busses inside
and to stop any arcing inside
and water will not conduct electricity either , it is the impurity,s in the water that conducts electricity