PDA

View Full Version : Helical gear set for tamiya semi trans?

SmallHaul
09-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Helical gear set for tamiya semi trans:eek:

http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/images/banners/TRU009Banner.jpg

Stella models site

SmallHaul
09-01-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5071

$50 not bad.

fhhhstix
09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Please post items like this in the tech page and leve highway trucks and trailers for build threads.

Thanks
Travis

SmallHaul
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Oops..I'll remember that for the future.:)

fhhhstix
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
No problem Scott we are all still getting use to things so keep the helpfull ideas comming.:)

Travis

Claus
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I seen those gears on ebay, my first thought was has anybody ever stripped their Tamiya gears? Those stock transmissions seam pretty bulletproof to me.

SmallHaul
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
So, has anybody actually had a plastic transmission gear fail? Joe(littleGIANT)?

ihbuilder
09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Scott , if I remember right from a conversation with joe when I started He never had an issue . After building my first 1 , It seems you have to wear the bushings out before the gears start to fail and make sure you keep it lubricated well . also the brass will bind faster than the plastic if not greased well .

Tamiya Cowboy
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Joe has never wrecked a tranny so they are very tuff. Them gears first came out last year threw GTD stella must of bought them out of it. I have a set just need to build a truck to use them in. The tranny will be a lot heavier and will sound a lot different other than that cant see the use..

Claus
09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Joe has never wrecked a tranny so they are very tuff. Them gears first came out last year threw GTD stella must of bought them out of it. I have a set just need to build a truck to use them in. The tranny will be a lot heavier and will sound a lot different other than that cant see the use..

If such a truck exist it's your oil field KW.

Tamiya Cowboy
09-01-2010, 11:41 PM
That is what I wanted them of when i was building it and it was bout that time they up and vanished so that is what i am thinking is pull that gear box a part and put them in there. I just want to hear how they sound.

Espeefan
09-02-2010, 01:58 AM
In the 1:1 world, helical cut gears are done for the purpose of quieting down the gear noise. Straight cut gears will always make more noise, and be stronger. I wonder if this will apply to the Tamiya 3 speeds. Will they be quieter? :D Course the metal helical cut gears should be stronger then the straight cut plastic, but even so, if they hold up for Joe, the average guy will never wear them out!

tc1cat
09-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I have to agree with Espeefan on this. Helical metal gears should be quieter than straight cut metal gears. I don't think they will be quieter than the Tamiya plastics gears though.

Thorsteenster
09-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I got into a minor dispute with a guy om tamiya3speeds forum, did a pole on Scale4x4, and I have never heard of a gear failing/stripping in a semi or High Lift trans. So strength wise I see no need, and yeah, as tc1cat says, being helical metal gears, they would be quieter than straight cut metal gears, but I doubt quieter than the plastic.
Now, for unseen coolness and bragability about helical metal gears, **** yeah!!
I'd run my trans with no case or make a lexan one.