PDA

View Full Version : Motor problems on my excavator?

Azonic
01-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Hello guys,

I have recently noticed that my left track on my Vario excavator moves slower then the right one, but only in reverse, forward they go at the same speed, all my radio settings are equal to each other and that shouldnt be the problem.

Sometimes it glitches when im traveling, but only the left track.

Everything worked good the other day, but when i tryed it out after that it started doing this, my guess is either a bad motor on the left side or maybe my reciver is bad, i have lost the 10th channel on it, maybe the channel for the left track is bad as well, or the track esc is doing this, its a Saberthooth 2x25, i run a 11.1v lipo.

Any ideas what could do this?

Madda
01-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Your radio settings might be equal but I woud still try to adjust them and see if that makes things better or worse. This method can help answering the motors different speed question.
Then make sure that all the wires are correctly connected and not damaged from somewhere.
When my other radio started to die the motors began to glitch too and if you say that your rx is acting strangely then I would assume that there would be another problem. Maybe try to change the channels you are using for your motors atm to something else. If you use 1 and 2 channel for forward/back and steering then change them to 3 and 4 channel and see if anything changes etc. Someone with same radio can help you finding the problem.
I think that problem is somewhere in electronics but you never know.

Btw, what radio do you have?

Azonic
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Your radio settings might be equal but I woud still try to adjust them and see if that makes things better or worse. This method can help answering the motors different speed question.
Then make sure that all the wires are correctly connected and not damaged from somewhere.
When my other radio started to die the motors began to glitch too and if you say that your rx is acting strangely then I would assume that there would be another problem. Maybe try to change the channels you are using for your motors atm to something else. If you use 1 and 2 channel for forward/back and steering then change them to 3 and 4 channel and see if anything changes etc. Someone with same radio can help you finding the problem.
I think that problem is somewhere in electronics but you never know.

Btw, what radio do you have?

Ok, i will try that tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

I use a Graupner MC-19IFS 2.4.

elliot330
01-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Kalle,,

have you tried swapping the motor wires at the speed controller from left to right, see if the problem moves tracks? Have you recalibrated the Sabertooth after fitting the CTI module, ie show it where full forward is and full reverse on both channels. Can you display your servo positions in the radio via a graph? When in reverse are the bars the same lenght. Are the end points set to 100% on both channels?

Just a few quick easy things to try first.

Azonic
01-31-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks Elliot, i will check this later today!

End points are the same yes.

Can you really recalibrate the sabertooth?

Azonic
01-31-2012, 06:26 AM
I just tryed to drive it for a while, first it was all good forward and back, then i did run only the left track, after that it started to glitch and then it was a little slower then the right one. Im going to try to switch the channels.

No sucsess in changing the channel to another one, same problem, it seem to be some kind of voltage problem, i have run it on the bench and it goes well for a little time, then the CTI module shuts down and i lose contact with the model, if i flip the model switch it goes back in bind mode and i can run it for a little while again, it must be the CTI module that cant handle the voltage from the tracks or something like that. I will try without the CTI module.

YoungGunz
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
If the tracks operate fine for awhile then one or both tracks suddenly slow to a crawl try flipping the dip switch on the esc. Something similar happened on my skidsteer with the same esc. I think its dip switch #6. If its anything like mine, it calibrates centers every time you turn it on, that might be the problem. Hope this helps

J.D.

Azonic
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
If the tracks operate fine for awhile then one or both tracks suddenly slow to a crawl try flipping the dip switch on the esc. Something similar happened on my skidsteer with the same esc. I think its dip switch #6. If its anything like mine, it calibrates centers every time you turn it on, that might be the problem. Hope this helps

J.D.

Thanks, i tryed but it made no difference.

Im going mad soon i think, i have done some testing this evening.

1. CTI module 1 in my excavator binds all good from the switch, i can run it for about 30 secs to 3 minutes before my left track goes slower in reverse, or the whole CTI unit shuts down.
I have tryed a lot of things today, i have tryed different servos, i thought maybe one servo was bad and messed up the binding, i tryed just the tracks and pump to see if it worked, still the same thing.
I also tryed without the CTI module, then everything works like it should, i think i will throw the CTI module in the garbage can!

2. CTI module 2 in my dumper, it only binds at times, sometimes first try, sometimes i have to restart the radio and flip the switch and repeat that until it binds, if i unplug the battery to my excavator the dumper binds directly.

This really makes me upset, i cant understand why it doesnt work, only thing i can think of now is that my excavator reciver is bad and causing the problem with my excavator, cant think of anything else.

I cant understand why the excavator binds all good but the dumper does not, only when the excavator is shut off the dumper will bind.

I guess i have to get up and down in that **** chair this summer! :mad:

luvrc
02-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm a newbie on the forum and although I've been in RC for 30+ yrs, constuction models are new to me. I too would love to buy one of these excavators. I think for the money these machines cost I would be in touch with the maker and if they didn't offer to solve the problem, I'd be looking for the lowest price ticket to Germany.