PDA

View Full Version : gear drive info?

edwalsh18
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I have a question for the guys that have made the gear drives with servos for hydraulic rams.

I would like to know how many rotations per stroke and how long stroke is in inches and time it takes per full stroke.

The reason is to see if I can change up the components a bit to get similar results. Like maybe using a geared motor instead of servo and a nut and bolt instead of drill bit. Servo is slow so bits need to have fewer "threads" per inch. I am hoping I can get some info on that setup to find something similar but a little more speedier. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

modelman
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
edwalsh18-I have not built one of these drives but you really don't need this info. just use a stop-watch and a little imagination. Take the distance(in inches) you want the ram to travel. Say maybe you need 3" travel. Time an object by moving it 3" at the speed you want your rams to move. Then just do the math. Decide what thread type you want to use(tpi) and that tells you how many revolutions it take to move the required distance. That will give you an RPM you need in the correct amount of secs. Then get a gearmotor with that RPM and you will have what you want. Hope this makes sense-ask questions if you like. There are lot's of people on here that can help.