PDA

View Full Version : UH-OH!! Swing motor problems

modelman
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Here I am removing the swing motors from my 182M Marion shovel model.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/modelman/100_1505.jpg
About a year ago I stored my shovel on the shelf to make more room in my shop to work on the mining truck and the shovel was working great. I got it down last week and hooked it up anxious to load my truck with it. The swing motors were causing the radio to glitch so bad I could not operate the shovel. I called a friend of mine who is a genius with this stuff and he said that after sitting for a long time the motors will develope a green bettina on the comm.(similar to what gets on copper), and this will cause the brushes to arc and cause the radio noise. He said I would have to run the motors and let the brushes re-seat to the comm.. I also had never put the noise-suppresion caps. on the swing motors and he said I should do that to. The hoist and crowd motors are working great so I am a little confused why this happened. Has anyone ever heard of this or ever had this problem. I am doing just what he said to do and should know in a few days if this corrects the problem.

JAMMER
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I have seen this on automotive electric and there is a electrcal spray that they have for cleaning this. You should be able to get it at any auto parts store. Ed

Tamiya Cowboy
02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Contact Spray.. For cleaning alternators NAPA sells it so do many others very easy to come by..

9W Monighan
02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
That's funny, I have similar problems with my swing motor only it goes real smooth one way and sort of glitchy and noisy the other. I had problems at Cabin Fever briefly with it not working at all but I'm pretty sure we were experiencing a brown out in the building because one of the CNC vendors had problems with his mill almost crashing the table. I've been fooling around with my motor drive settings (Dead Band,IR Comp. Response) Another thing happening is my swing won't stay centered from time to time and if I re bind the DX7 again that fixes it for a while. I've never tried putting capacitors on the motors like the lower voltage ones everybody uses because I'm running 90VDC motors and I don't know what uF capacitor to use. A week ago I bought a used line conditioner voltage regulator and we'll see if that takes care of possible voltage drops.

doodlebug
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Are the bushing's, bearing's sticking from the grease inside taking a set? Some time's the oil in the grease evaporate's and leave's a thick mess. Can you measure how much current the motor is drawing, to compare to the other's on your shovel?
Cheer's, Neil.

modelman
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I have seen this on automotive electric and there is a electrcal spray that they have for cleaning this. You should be able to get it at any auto parts store. Ed

You can see in the picture under my thumb is where the brushes are located. The motors are totally enclosed so any spray cleaner is impossible.

modelman
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
That's funny, I have similar problems with my swing motor only it goes real smooth one way and sort of glitchy and noisy the other. I had problems at Cabin Fever briefly with it not working at all but I'm pretty sure we were experiencing a brown out in the building because one of the CNC vendors had problems with his mill almost crashing the table. I've been fooling around with my motor drive settings (Dead Band,IR Comp. Response) Another thing happening is my swing won't stay centered from time to time and if I re bind the DX7 again that fixes it for a while. I've never tried putting capacitors on the motors like the lower voltage ones everybody uses because I'm running 90VDC motors and I don't know what uF capacitor to use. A week ago I bought a used line conditioner voltage regulator and we'll see if that takes care of possible voltage drops.

I know nothing about 90V motors but the capacitors work well on the 6&12V motors. But if you have glitching there is probably some kind of electrical noise somewhere. I have heard that the 2.4 radios are better about this. I am using the 2.4 on my truck and it works great even without an antennae but the shovel is on the old 27mghz band. If this problem continues I will be changing radios.

modelman
02-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Are the bushing's, bearing's sticking from the grease inside taking a set? Some time's the oil in the grease evaporate's and leave's a thick mess. Can you measure how much current the motor is drawing, to compare to the other's on your shovel?
Cheer's, Neil.

As I stated above the motors are totally enclosed so I cannot check the lube but the motors start and run smoothly and are only drawing .1-amps so I don't believe this is an issue. Thanks to everyone.

Lil Giants
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah, me too... 99.9% glitch disappeared when I switched to 2.4 radio system. ;)

Just about have everything on 2.4 now, just a couple of trks & constr pieces yet on 75FM