PDA

View Full Version : changing gears

Aero 9000
02-19-2012, 12:23 PM
So what is all this about people not being happy about changing gears and wanting 2 speeds or a single speed...?
Isn't changing gears what trucks are all about......?
Why dont they tie a peice of string to the front of their truck and pull it around by hand..? :mad:

CorbettTrailers
02-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I Love changing gears. I like going slow to study the line I'm going to travel and going around corners and swinging it wide to miss objects with my trailer.

fhhhstix
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
That would be because when you go to a get together most rarely use more than one gear do to the amount of people driving at once. There are some throttle jockeys out there that speed around and they are usually the ones that hit some one else's truck and basically don't respect their trucks or others trucks. I have trucks with 1, 2, and 3 gears and each one is just as fun to drive as the other. Some times the length of the truck and the type of drive train wont allow for a bulky 3 speed and for some they just don,t care about the different speeds and just enjoy building the truck and showing it off.

Travis

Aero 9000
02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
That would be because when you go to a get together most rarely use more than one gear do to the amount of people driving at once. There are some throttle jockeys out there that speed around and they are usually the ones that hit some one else's truck and basically don't respect their trucks or others trucks. I have trucks with 1, 2, and 3 gears and each one is just as fun to drive as the other. Some times the length of the truck and the type of drive train wont allow for a bulky 3 speed and for some they just don,t care about the different speeds and just enjoy building the truck and showing it off.

Travis

What the throttle jockeys actually need are more gears, lower down, below first.
I like changing gears, but i know with my Aeromax 3rd gear is suicidal, it goes like a sports car. It needs more gears not less. I'd like some really slow gears but maintain the fast "highway gears" for the odd occasion when they do get used.:)

ihbuilder
02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
What the throttle jockeys actually need are more gears, lower down, below first.
I like changing gears, but i know with my Aeromax 3rd gear is suicidal, it goes like a sports car. It needs more gears not less. I'd like some really slow gears but maintain the fast "highway gears" for the odd occasion when they do get used.:)

well start playing around with different turn motors and pinion gears . Put in a grear reduction unit . There are a couple of options for those (GRU ) . In my heavy hual 5900i , I have a 75t lathe motor with a 4:1 GRU . In 3rd gear It'll just keep up to the other trucks in 1st . BUT , If your gona go that low you better beef up the input pinions on the axles when pulling weight (excess of 100#) :rolleyes:

Aero 9000
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
well start playing around with different turn motors and pinion gears . Put in a grear reduction unit . There are a couple of options for those (GRU ) . In my heavy hual 5900i , I have a 75t lathe motor with a 4:1 GRU . In 3rd gear It'll just keep up to the other trucks in 1st . BUT , If your gona go that low you better beef up the input pinions on the axles when pulling weight (excess of 100#) :rolleyes:

I'd want a multi speed GRU, to get lower gears and keep the high ones.
When you say "beef up the input pinions" in what way, different diameter or different material....?? Or change axles completely....??

ihbuilder
02-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I'd want a multi speed GRU, to get lower gears and keep the high ones.
When you say "beef up the input pinions" in what way, different diameter or different material....?? Or change axles completely....??

get the steel pinion from rc4wd for the tlt axle

Espeefan
02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
In my humble opinion, these trucks are more about scale modeling, driving more carefully and accurately, rather then just banging gears. There is room for single speed and multi-speed trucks together. But precision driving requires more care, as mentioned. That kind of driving does not require all three gears. If you don't have room for a 3 speed, without giving up something else, there is nothing wrong with a single or double speed. It's not that we don't want 9 speeds or more. It's just that it isn't always needed to have fun with the kind of driving we do. Scale speeds.

rcman
02-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I like 3 speeds but I use a GRU and some times. 55 turn motor I wish I could have more gears LOL

Brian in PA
02-26-2012, 09:49 PM
All of my trucks have had the stock 3 speed with some type of GRU. Shifting gears is a neat and novel idea.. For the people that see these trucks for the first time, the 3 speed is really cool.

YoungGunz
02-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I like being able to change gears because I can set my first gear throttle curve for slow precision driving and backing up and 2nd for just driving and 3rd set for when I have room to open her up :p but with throttle curve I set it so I have to be in 1st for reverse. So shifting is nice when you have a programmable remote.

J.D.

Aero 9000
02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
I like being able to change gears because I can set my first gear throttle curve for slow precision driving and backing up and 2nd for just driving and 3rd set for when I have room to open her up :p but with throttle curve I set it so I have to be in 1st for reverse. So shifting is nice when you have a programmable remote.

J.D.

How much advantage would you have if you had 9 gears to choose from..?
3 ranges with 3 close ratio gears in each range....

YoungGunz
02-27-2012, 09:13 AM
That would be a tough compromise for me, the 9 gears would be a nice but i would have to give up two channels just to have it and with my truck i have all 8 of my channels spoken for already. If i had 9 gears to work with i would want a few of them to be all reverse just to add a little more realism but thats just my 2 cents. plus, you would have to have alot of open space if you were going to go through all the gears even if you had a GRU

J.D.

aussietruckerguy
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
well the real trucks use between 6 and 18 forward eaton type gear boxes. But we are not using the kind of weight and horse power they do. In the real stuff with a 13 speed its about 5 kmh for first then every 15 kmh another gear with overdrive for 80 plus kmh

SmallHaul
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I really like the option of changing gears.

On my KH (IIRC 4:1 GRU) I use first gear for backing up and tight situations, second gear for indoor meets and 3rd for large paved surfaces. It only has a top speed of about 10 mph or so.

On my Mack DT (7:1 GRU) I use 1st gear for meets where actual dirt is used and 2nd gear at meets where rubber is used and we have smooth roadways and rarely use 3rd.

dabears
04-06-2012, 06:40 PM
I like having the gears. Never been to a show yet but i'd imagine that 1st gear is all i would need. I have a 55turn motor and 3rd is pretty fast. i usually just use 2nd and just dont throttle up alot. Ive been debating a GRU for the truck to slow it down just a bit but i have fun in my alley with my tailer using 3rd gear at full throttle. (it moves pretty good even with my 4 year old on the trailer 50lbs) But if i was able to make a show and hope to make to indy this year id prob lock it into first gear. Its just nice to have to option if needed.

dabears
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Do you run 2 servos then with 6 gears? Or do you lock one of them?

Espeefan
04-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Is it just me, or does having two Tamiya 3 speeds back to back seem kind of pointless? You end up with 3 duplicate gears, so your 9 speed is actually a 6 speed. I think it would be a lot cooler to have a two speed splitter, behind the 3 speed.

jetdog
05-06-2012, 09:31 AM
If you have the room and want real power and a good top speed run with 2 std Tamiya 3 speed gear boxes. 1st gear low range it will climb a brick wall and 3rd gear high range is plenty fast

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/oztruck/Logger/twin.jpg

a video of this running would be very cool i had a look on you tube but didnt come up with anything....

doodlebug
05-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey Nathan, for "boxes" to work (1:1 truck's), the front tranny has to be a wide split or ratio's, and the rear or auxilary has to be a narrow split or ratio's. And shifting via rc, would be fun without having an accelerator pedal, LOL:eek::eek:. It would bring new meaning to "twin stick's"

I've driven truck's with 4x4, 5x4, Allison 5 speed x 3 speed auxilary. 5 speed Allison with 2 speed rear end's was one of my favorite combination's, My first 10 wheeler had that setup.
I tried 2 wide split 4 speed's on my doodlebug tractor (see avitar), it's a (blankety blank) to shift, non syncroed trannies:mad::mad::mad:
Experience via the school off hard knock's and tired scrap metal, LOL!:p:p:eek::eek::D
2 speed splitter would be neat, and simple:D:D:cool::cool:
Cheer's, Neil.