PDA

View Full Version : RC Channel 1/14 Scale Metal gear box!!

tc1cat
02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Well I just received my RC Channel 1/14 Scale Tractor Trucks metal gear box. My 1st impression is WOW!! Box was smashed up some but thanks to good packing the plastic box inside was just scratched on the inside from the mounting tabs on the tranny.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/tc1cat/DSC_0003-1.jpg

As you can see you get 3 sizes of pinion gear to use plus a flat plate to replace the cap on the top of the tranny for added clearance in mounting the unit. Also included is some 3mm bolts for mounting the motor to the unit. Instructions inside of the box explain in detail how to mount the motor using the different pinions. The actual motor mount is positioned differently for the different pinions. No slots are used to increase or decrease the pinion gear-lash with the next gear. 1st time I have seen this used on a tranny- might be used more but I have not seen before. The tranny itself has a very nice feel to it. Metal casting is very well made with what seems like a polished surface on the outside. The use of bearing thru out the unit is very evident when you turn the output drive cup. Once I can get back to building anything, I will post a followup on how it sounds and runs.

These units sold very fast after I saw them on ebay. Only time will tell if they are worth the money. Now I only need to get a set of RC Channel rear axles and possibly a powered front axle for 1 of my trucks:eek::eek:

Aero 9000
02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi, i can't see a selector shaft anywhere, can you shift through the gears while driving, or is it a matter of changing the pinions to change the ratio ....??

tc1cat
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
The gear box is a single speed tranny for the semis. Shifting gears is way over rated of a feature for the semis in my opinion.

Pippoe
02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Very scale looking and beautiful gear box.

Only thing I don't like is that the motor isn't mounted directly behind the gear box.. this way it will still sit inside the cab and take away space that could be used for batteries or electronics etc.

I like the rc-channel axles though. Nice and heavy.

Cheers

Pip

Espeefan
02-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Great looking transmission! I'm looking foward to hearing your thoughts on it, once you put it through the paces. Kind of curious what motor would be the best choice for this thing too. Motor selection becomes a little more critical, when you've only got one gear.

tc1cat
02-25-2012, 06:00 AM
With the pinions given and the listed gear reduction for each gear, I will probably go with something in the 75 to 85 turn lathe motor. This tranny may end up behind one of the 1/12th scale Cat motor with the motor buried in it. :D

scalelover
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
With the pinions given and the listed gear reduction for each gear, I will probably go with something in the 75 to 85 turn lathe motor. This tranny may end up behind one of the 1/12th scale Cat motor with the motor buried in it. :D

Not to derail here but it seems the cats are harder and harder to find now. I was searching yesterday on the bay and found none. Do you know of anywhere that has any in stock??

--Dan

BRICKNICK
02-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Wow that thing looks awesome....I'm interested in seeing how she performs.

doodlebug
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item_detail.aspx?itemfind=NORSCOT55139
Hey Dan, try this link. Got a Cat Dealer near by?
Cheer's, Neil.

Joule1
08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm running this tranny in my truck with 4:1 reduction from rc4wd, that thing is quality and look. I hauled 60lb without a problem and it sounds pretty nice (i have no sound unit ;)

Claus
08-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Very scale looking and beautiful gear box.

Only thing I don't like is that the motor isn't mounted directly behind the gear box.. this way it will still sit inside the cab and take away space that could be used for batteries or electronics etc.

I like the rc-channel axles though. Nice and heavy.

Cheers

Pip

The motor sits high because that is the reduction right there.

Claus
10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Lynn, mine just came today with same crack in the lid of the box. Can't wait to do some testing of different motors and such.

Joule1, I really like the way you painted you motor and trans red, really goes well with the truck. I'm usually not a fan of when guys paint their transmissions because most paint them Cat yellow which I don't understand at all.