PDA

View Full Version : frame building

weemanch
02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
okay was wondering where you guys buy your custom frames or what you use? since i am looking into building my first truck.....also do you guys normally soldier or weld the joints?

derailed
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
i bought a milling machine so i now cut my own frames
saves me a fortune
i'll buy the odd parts when i feel lazy
you can mix/match different parts on the tamiyas
a globe for example,put a knight frame under it and its a nice stretch

weemanch
02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
i am probably going to use some knight body or one of the older looking semis, also that is far from out of my budget since it's a winter hobby basically. along with a small time summer hobby.

1985 kenworth
02-29-2012, 12:52 AM
like derailed said i did use the king hauler frame rails for the globeliner.i like that look much better you can probably check your lhs and order a set of frame rails which is what i did ,price was reasonable:)

weemanch
03-01-2012, 01:28 AM
which i could do that, but still looking for a bit longer. also looking into rather using the king hauler body, not so interested in the globe.

weemanch
03-01-2012, 01:57 AM
just to give a very general idea of what i'd want out of a cab over would be.i'd rather have the traditional long nose truck especially, since it's what i have grown up around and growing up around my uncles and gpa all hating cab overs...http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/24700000/Cabover-no-Longer-custom-18-wheelers-24780727-800-535.jpg

Tamiya Cowboy
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Getting blank frame rails is not tuff.. I can sell them I have been selling them for years I just stopped when freddy started doing them with the board. This way you can buy the length you need and you dont have to hack to frames together and you only have the holes you want..

weemanch
03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Getting blank frame rails is not tuff.. I can sell them I have been selling them for years I just stopped when freddy started doing them with the board. This way you can buy the length you need and you dont have to hack to frames together and you only have the holes you want..
which is pretty much what i am looking for, which i didn't know who to contact since i noticed freddy passed, and looked like he was the main go to person.