PDA

View Full Version : Another.....Bruder Excavator conversion!

scale hobbies
03-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Ok, so i've been in the hobby for a long long time and the construction stuff has always intrigued me.

So I've got 2 projects going. I have a King Hauler that I am stripping down to make a dump truck.

I've also just ordered a bruder excavator to convert. So I am going to need some help from you the experts.

I am trying to do this on somewhat of a budget, whatever that is in this hobby.
The rams/screw drives is what's freaking me out, but I am starting from the bottom up.

Pumptech & RockNMayhem i'll be looking to you guys for feedback.

So which servos would be the best for the tracks?
Which servo for the 360 degree rotation of the cab?
Is this spur gear still the #1 choice for the cab http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAFJE&P=7

Thanks
Matt

pumptech
03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Ok, so i've been in the hobby for a long long time and the construction stuff has always intrigued me.

So I've got 2 projects going. I have a King Hauler that I am stripping down to make a dump truck.

I've also just ordered a bruder excavator to convert. So I am going to need some help from you the experts.

I am trying to do this on somewhat of a budget, whatever that is in this hobby.
The rams/screw drives is what's freaking me out, but I am starting from the bottom up.

Pumptech & RockNMayhem i'll be looking to you guys for feedback.

So which servos would be the best for the tracks?
Which servo for the 360 degree rotation of the cab?
Is this spur gear still the #1 choice for the cab http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAFJE&P=7

Thanks
Matt

Hey Matt
I'm no expert ,just been through a lot of trial and error,lol
The Hitech 645mg should work fine for the 360 turntable spin,and tracks
The spur gear you show is the same one i'm using,have had good luck with it.
Here's a link for a 6 wire slip ring .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270744488579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

scale hobbies
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Well it's officially started!!!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/willie1280/photobucket-2750-1332475050296.jpg

Well at least I have the main piece in my sweaty little hands now :)

Gotta love Amazon!

Must say i am always amazed at the difference in quality with German made products.

scale hobbies
03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Anyone have dis assembly tips? I've read that bruders have some stubborn clips??

rockNmayhem
03-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Have to back up what was said before. The servo's I'm running in my excavator are 645mg's and they work pretty good for it's size. If I ever get the boom and mount finished I'll get some working vids, but for now this project is on the back burner till my tractor is running and all buttoned up.

I'll be glad to help you with any questions you have with your build and be here to guide you.

As for the clips. The most annoying ones for me were the ones on the front under the cab floor. To get the black base off just hold the rear and give the track section a good stong tug. I't will come off and you will see four little clips protruding from the upper peice. The rest is fairly simple. A flat blade screwdriver will be your friend for the cab dissassembly.

Tyler

scale hobbies
03-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Travis!

I ordered 6 turnigy metal gear high torque servos last night. Are the 360 degree conversions the same on all servos? If so, do you guys have a preferred link detailing the conversion?

I plan to order the main gear and pinion gear today from tower with my coupon.

Hopefully this weekend I will start reverse engineering the excavator so that everything i do is documented in 3D and repeatable for future use.

rockNmayhem
03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Not all servo's are the same, I like the hitec simply for the fact of the metal gears so I can machine them to may my rams and also the way their circut boards are set up they are easy to hardwire or leave the pot on them for trim adjustments if ever needed in the future.

Tyler

scale hobbies
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I normally get hitec's as well, but for an exploratory project and a budget i got the 6 servos for $70 vs. $180. They claim all metal gearing and higher torque, so i will post once i know.

skeeter
09-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Any updates on this project?