PDA

View Full Version : Sand Paper Help

TRUCKMAKER
03-22-2012, 05:57 AM
I've sanded the roof cap to shape and applied Poly-Flex 411 "blue" filler to it, which I think I over did:(. What is the best grit to start with removing the excess filler as I work towards the finish sanding prior to primer?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Espeefan
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Depending how are the Poly-Flex is to sand, I'd think about starting with something like 100, 150, or maybe 200 grit. The lighter grit paper just plugs up really fast. I've had really good luck wet sanding bodies. I do it in a sink (not the kitchen sink!) and fill a bowl or container with a soapy water mix. I rinse the paper now and then in the soapy water, and the body, under the faucet. Might take some time, but it will smooth over nicely.

JAMMER
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I use 180 wet and dry paper dry rapped around a piece of paint mixing stick or a curtain rod stick to keep everything flat and level and save all the pieces and use them wet for the final smoothing. Ed

TRUCKMAKER
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Depending how are the Poly-Flex is to sand, I'd think about starting with something like 100, 150, or maybe 200 grit. The lighter grit paper just plugs up really fast. I've had really good luck wet sanding bodies. I do it in a sink (not the kitchen sink!) and fill a bowl or container with a soapy water mix. I rinse the paper now and then in the soapy water, and the body, under the faucet. Might take some time, but it will smooth over nicely.

I use 180 wet and dry paper dry rapped around a piece of paint mixing stick or a curtain rod stick to keep everything flat and level and save all the pieces and use them wet for the final smoothing. Ed

Thanks for the info Nathan & Ed. I found where some one posted that the Poly-Flex sands real easy so after reading your responses and taking the easy sanding into account I went with 220 and kept it wet and so far it looks pretty good. Posted pic's on my build thread. Thanks again for the help guys.

grumpygrady
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
napa has some very fine sandpaper for the final sanding
from 1000 to 2500 grit ,comes in a package of 5 pieces for 5 dollars

dabears
04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

I always hear people say to wet sand things, but heres my question on it as i have never done it, when you wet sand does the filler loosen up or soften up at all? I tried it once after using regular modelers putty but when i got the body wet and started sanding it just started taking chunks of my filler out... Not sure if it was the filler i was using or i didnt let it cure all the way (waited 2 days) but i have had no luck with it. Any ideas as to what i may have done wrong? I have some more filling and sanding to do on my fenders and the smoother i can get them the happier ill be.

Jigglepin
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
I always hear people say to wet sand things, but heres my question on it as i have never done it, when you wet sand does the filler loosen up or soften up at all? I tried it once after using regular modelers putty but when i got the body wet and started sanding it just started taking chunks of my filler out... Not sure if it was the filler i was using or i didnt let it cure all the way (waited 2 days) but i have had no luck with it. Any ideas as to what i may have done wrong? I have some more filling and sanding to do on my fenders and the smoother i can get them the happier ill be.

Hi, you can only wet sand a '2 pac filler' which uses a hardener in a seperate packet. Then you mix a small amount of hardener to filler ( in easy terms, a pea of hardener to a golf ball of filler :D usually!) putty mostly relies on just air to cure, and is best sanded dry. Hope this helps

dabears
04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Yep that explained the bad results lol thank you

Izzy
04-11-2012, 06:57 AM
:eek:advice! hmmm - let's see .......
- rough side down ;)
- buy extra :p

well that's all I got ......:D

- - sorry jsut had to do it - I had a glimpse of how Freddy used to think of this kinda post...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TRUCKMAKER
04-11-2012, 07:31 AM
It must be a Hoosier thing. :p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D