PDA

View Full Version : Masking Tape Help

TRUCKMAKER
04-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi all, I'm doing a two tone paint job and I'm looking for help with what the best masking is to use. I've searched the forum and haven't found any suggestions as to which products work best or are easier to use for our hobby. Any tricks on doing 2 tone paint would also be helpful!:cool:
Any and all help wuold be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!:D:D

glorydays24
04-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I use 3m blue masking tape, and I get mine at my local autozone. It leaves a nice crisp line, and I don't have any trouble with bleeding under the tape. I was told about this tape some time ago and never looked back.;)
Just make sure the edges are pressed down firmly on what you're painting. Spray with light mist coats to get a better finish.
Good luck, and happy painting.:)

Big John

TRUCKMAKER
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks GD24, good timing on the reply, I was headed out the door to do some running when I posted this. Caught the reply, as I was headed for the Zone.
As a side note I was looking to buy some spot putty. It was 8.99 at AutoZone and after I figured out what the 3M blue tape was I decided to wait and check Wal-Mart. They had the same spot putty for 3.74:eek::eek::cool: and the blue 3M tape;).

glorydays24
04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks GD24, good timing on the reply, I was headed out the door to do some running when I posted this. Caught the reply, as I was headed for the Zone.
As a side note I was looking to buy some spot putty. It was 8.99 at AutoZone and after I figured out what the 3M blue tape was I decided to wait and check Wal-Mart. They had the same spot putty for 3.74:eek::eek::cool: and the blue 3M tape;).

Glad I could help.:D

Big John

aussierolla
04-07-2012, 03:32 AM
tamiya also make masking tape in 6mm ,10mm and 18mm width's

1985 kenworth
04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
sorry not to steal from your thread but since you were on the topic someone told me frog masking tape works great have you used it yet?

steamer
04-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm stuck on the Tamiya tape. It's a little more expensive, but it has sure has saved a lot of repaints.
Rob

1985 kenworth
04-07-2012, 04:42 PM
i didn't know tamiya does masking tape:eek:i take it you used tamiya tape before

TRUCKMAKER
04-09-2012, 08:43 AM
sorry not to steal from your thread but since you were on the topic someone told me frog masking tape works great have you used it yet?

I looked at frog tape and it says its for Latex paints only. I guess it has a gel that doesn't let it bleed under the tape, but strongly cautions against using it with solvent based paints as it causes a reaction with the gel. I'm guessing it turns it to mush or some unpleasent mess on your paint job:eek:

steamer
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I've used nothing but Tamiya since I found the product. As I say, cost a little more but have had no repaints at all. Used it to paint this.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff436/steamer2/FWD%20Dump/FWDfinal007.jpg
Rob

1985 kenworth
04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks i will take your advice on the tamiya tape,that paintjob looks very clean and the lines are crisp,very professional looking.i never used the frog tape and the dude at the parts store said a friend used it and it worked well...tamiya tape all the way.i am going to be doing a 2 tone paint very soon on my build...thanks

aussietruckerguy
04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
tamiya tape or 3m blue is a good bet. I normally use tamiya to do the line then the 3m to do general masking. With a airbrush or rattle can you NEED to mask EVERYTHING near where you are working. Plan you tape to use the least, light colours first, then wait a few days then mask. The paint Must be fully dry before masking ( I find at least 48 hours in a 20 degree room, longer if its cooler) not touch dry. Then mask for the next colour and so on. I learnt all of this from doing camouflage 1:48 aircraft before learning a few cheats with solid masks for non sharp lines.

DoubleClutchin'
05-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I've been using T Tape for years and for fine detailing I won't use anything else. It's ultra thin,super sticky but peels right off and you can shape it without getting creases. I know I'm late posting here but it's another opinion.:)

spudd
05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
3m fine line is the only way to go
Comes in all sorts of widths and is made for two tone painting
I don't know how anyone can use the blue tape without bleed through as it's not designed for anything but latex paint
You are playing with fire if you use anything but automotiveasking tape.i have owned a bodyshop for 20 years and do alot of custom painting and it's not worth the risk of using cheap tape
Just my opinion