PDA

View Full Version : Is it the tranny,the gru, or me?

trucklover
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
What kind of driving characteristics should I expect when driving a pmd 4:1 gru along with the stock 3 speed? The 3 speed ran fine until I installed the gru. I have one of those truck puller motors from gardentrucking and this thing seems as though it does not want to drive slow and steady. It makes my tranny make noise and then it gives me no movement, then speeds up quickly. I have a notched left stick throttle set up. Do I have to change my driving technique?

fhhhstix
04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
It can be a little jerky due to all of the backlash in both the trans and GRU as well as the drive shafts. Before you added the GRU it had a tall enough gear that it absorbed the backlash but now that you have shortened the gear the backlash in the gears will be more noticeable.

Basically you will have to be easy on and off the throttle and that can be hard without a spring loaded stick for the throttle.

Travis

MACK Daddy
04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Also Check to see if you installed the PMD GRU correctly...the side that spins quicker is the one that gets hooked to the tranny

just a thought

Alfy

trucklover
04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
thanks will check. Glenn