PDA

View Full Version : Where to get longer frame rails that are drilled and tapped?

Joat
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Newb here and I need some longer frame rails for a king hauler , I really dont want to drill a new frame,I dont mind tapping ,but if there's a 100+ holes to drill, I'll pass, especially if someone has cnc drilled frame rails for sale?
T.I.A

Smiley
04-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Ya mite can try gardentricking.com and talk yo Mr. Ric

Keith

1985 kenworth
04-17-2012, 05:05 AM
hey smiley will ric predrill them i have never seen it offered on the site:)

Smiley
04-17-2012, 05:20 AM
I'm not positive but it don't hurt to ask :-). I'm sure he would for a small fee :-). But don't quote me on that lol

ihbuilder
04-17-2012, 06:59 AM
"someone has cnc drilled frame rails for sale?"

I'm confused :confused: Why would they need to be cnc drilled :confused: ? It's not that hard of a job to use your stock frame rails as a pattern . Thats how most do it that offer pre-drilled frame rails .

ryman
04-17-2012, 02:15 PM
gardentrucking has frame rail extenions you can buy and cut your frame and install them and only have to drill 16 holes

REV73
04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I think that what Joat, (and myself) would like to see is a longer set that is ready to use, rather than run the risk that we might accidentally butcher our original KH frame rails and have to start over with a new set. I may be putting words in his mouth but that's what I would like to be able to purchase.

Joat
05-06-2012, 03:35 AM
I think that what Joat, (and myself) would like to see is a longer set that is ready to use, rather than run the risk that we might accidentally butcher our original KH frame rails and have to start over with a new set. I may be putting words in his mouth but that's what I would like to be able to purchase.

You are correct, and I am suprised no one offers them cnc'd in like +4",+5" etc.

Joat
05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I've begun the process of getting them in from Germany, 282 views and really havent gotten anywhere with this.
Was quoted $60 a pair shipped for 39inch rails,at least I will be getting the exact samething from tamiya

fhhhstix
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
You are correct, and I am suprised no one offers them cnc'd in like +4",+5" etc.

I understand what you want but here is the issue. You have to make a lot of sets of each length to make them cost effective. Then comes the problem of a lot of builders use custom steps and tanks or the use a different suspension, then they would be left with a lot of extra holes which is what most are trying to get rid of in the first place. I just don't see enough builders stretching a stock truck. This is why blank frame rails are offered.

You have stock rails so using them as a template to drill is not that hard just use one rail clamp it to the new rail and use the current holes to drill the new holes. The only holes that will be a bit tricky are the cab mount, trans mount, and fifth wheel holes. For these drill a corresponding hole through the opposite flange on the stock rail so you can sit the stock rail on top of the new one and now you have two holes to go through which will just make it easier to keep them strait like the holes for the steps and tanks.

After you drill one rail use the new rail you just drilled clamped to the other new rail so both will be exactly the same. The only holes that cant be transferred from the first rail are the cab mount, trans mount, and fifth wheel holes but you can use the stock rail you used the first time.

Use bees wax to lubricate your tap and put the tap in your cordless drill and you can tap a lot of holes real fast.:cool:

Travis

Joat
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM
I understand what you want but here is the issue. You have to make a lot of sets of each length to make them cost effective. Then comes the problem of a lot of builders use custom steps and tanks or the use a different suspension, then they would be left with a lot of extra holes which is what most are trying to get rid of in the first place. I just don't see enough builders stretching a stock truck. This is why blank frame rails are offered.

You have stock rails so using them as a template to drill is not that hard just use one rail clamp it to the new rail and use the current holes to drill the new holes. The only holes that will be a bit tricky are the cab mount, trans mount, and fifth wheel holes. For these drill a corresponding hole through the opposite flange on the stock rail so you can sit the stock rail on top of the new one and now you have two holes to go through which will just make it easier to keep them strait like the holes for the steps and tanks.

After you drill one rail use the new rail you just drilled clamped to the other new rail so both will be exactly the same. The only holes that cant be transferred from the first rail are the cab mount, trans mount, and fifth wheel holes but you can use the stock rail you used the first time.

Use bees wax to lubricate your tap and put the tap in your cordless drill and you can tap a lot of holes real fast.:cool:

Travis
I understand that, setup is not that bad, I guess there isnt alot of diy cnc'ers here, even then there no help on finding rails, Just PMD?, and the reviews are mixed with the rails themselves or customer service ,not just from PMD?and even then not many sources.
I thank you for the tips, since I have a mill,I plan on making a jig to allow me to hold the rails and not damage them and just center punch all the holes in a certain plane and keep moving on.

fhhhstix
05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
If you have a mil why don't you make a set of rails? You can get rectangle aluminum stock and mill it to shape.

Travis

Joat
05-10-2012, 06:29 PM
If you have a mil why don't you make a set of rails? You can get rectangle aluminum stock and mill it to shape.

Travis

It's not that large,and even then I dont have the time to do it, I thought about it , about $50 for material 36" of 7075 -I dont care for 6061

ihbuilder
05-10-2012, 10:52 PM
( not to be a bleep ) ,I prob. have the biggest mill on this forum with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions . the 1 that is running will only do 25" the other 30" ( on the x) to be totally honest , for what the going price of frame rails , it's not worth my time . For the time it takes to program , setup and punch a set of rails , I've done 2 by hand . I'll be making a set for myself in the future , off the top of my head , it'll be 2 hrs at least just for 1 set which from front axle back will not match anything tamiya or wedico . Whats wrong with 6060 ?:confused: I have no probs with yet . it's not the gummiest stuff I've machined :eek:

Joat
05-10-2012, 11:11 PM
( not to be a bleep ) ,I prob. have the biggest mill on this forum with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions . the 1 that is running will only do 25" the other 30" ( on the x) to be totally honest , for what the going price of frame rails , it's not worth my time . For the time it takes to program , setup and punch a set of rails , I've done 2 by hand . I'll be making a set for myself in the future , off the top of my head , it'll be 2 hrs at least just for 1 set which from front axle back will not match anything tamiya or wedico . Whats wrong with 6060 ?:confused: I have no probs with yet . it's not the gummiest stuff I've machined :eek:
I cant even get blank frame rails, let alone predrilled ones? Plus I am not even sure how close the pmd ones are to stock ones? So I went and started the process of getting OE blank ones from carson,yes I did search thru all 8+ pages in this section.
As for 6061, I got spoiled milling 7075, I love how clean it mills compared to 6061, I dont have coolant on my mini mill

Stuart
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I cant even get blank frame rails, let alone predrilled ones? Plus I am not even sure how close the pmd ones are to stock ones? So I went and started the process of getting OE blank ones from carson,yes I did search thru all 8+ pages in this section.
As for 6061, I got spoiled milling 7075, I love how clean it mills compared to 6061, I dont have coolant on my mini mill

I've used the carson ones on my Merc 4x4, http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4321
The're an exact match for Tamiya and come in 1m lengths for around 20 euros a pair.
Stu

Joat
05-16-2012, 03:40 PM
I've used the carson ones on my Merc 4x4, http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4321
The're an exact match for Tamiya and come in 1m lengths for around 20 euros a pair.
Stu

Thanks, I found out about the Carson rails, they are the OE tamiya ones,finding someone willing to ship to the USA without asking for a kidney has been the real issue, but I found someone and just waiting for their order to come in to give me the invoice for shipping.

fireguard62b
05-24-2012, 01:34 AM
I too am looking for long frames drilled to accomodate a special model. but as this would be my first RC truck I don't have any frames to take measurements off.

Joat
06-18-2012, 05:52 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/03xrs/2012-06-18_11-45-53_12.jpg
From Germany to the UK, to the 50th
Finally can start a build !!!

Tamiya Cowboy
06-20-2012, 08:13 PM
The ones from PMD match the stock Tamiya ones perfect Ric makes his the same way I make mine you could of save alot of money by paying attention to the guys that said ask Ric.

As for doing pre drilled rails for guys I have done it for people and it is a pain the trucks always have custom parts on them that you have to line up as you build that is part of building a custom truck they just dont bolt together..

Joat
06-20-2012, 08:17 PM
The ones from PMD match the stock Tamiya ones perfect Ric makes his the same way I make mine you could of save alot of money by listing to the guys that said ask Ric.

As for doing pre drilled rails for guys I have done it for people and it is a pain the trucks always have custom parts on them that you have to line up as you build that is part of building a custom truck they just dont bolt together..
Are you talking about forming the rails or drilling the rails?
Rics are extruded not formed I thought? and price wise and rather not get into it, but I it's not as expensive as you might think.........=)