PDA

View Full Version : 5 stage hydraulic clyinders

Brian in PA
04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm going to throw something out there for you all to think about. With the lack of choices that we have, in hydraulics, it has been limited to the length of dump trailer that we can build. The wedico is too short with its 3 stages, and the scale art with its 4 stages is still too short for a scale trailer with a good dump angle. there is just no one else reliable to step up to the challenge in building a longer dump cylinder. Well a couple of us have been very frustrated and someone has finally stepped up and done something about it. Ed (heavy duty) has contacted Scale Art with this problem, and they agreed to make us a 5 stage cylinder. The extended length will be 24 inched long! the price will be about 665.00 each ,if we order 5, if we order 10 the price will jump down to 610.00 each. Now I already have 6 spoken for with a 7th pretty sure. Is anyone else interested in something like this? I know that this seems pricey, but Scale Art makes a product second to none. I also comes with a lifetime warranty, if any thing goes wrong it will be fixed free of charge! Please let me, or Ed know and if we get enough orders the price may come down some more. They are very eager to build this for us. Thanks!

Brian

rc_farmer
04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Brian, I am interested .......need a few more details on EST'd deliverly, prepaid or deposit, if so, when by. But i am interested.

Espeefan
04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Sounds very appealing, but still very expensive, even at $610. Is there anyway we can find a machine shop, company, or even an individual inside the USA that could produce these for less? I think the Euro's value is killing us! If we kept it inside the USA, it would be nice. There has got to be someone who can do this kind of work inside the states.

ihbuilder
04-20-2012, 02:50 AM
"There has got to be someone who can do this kind of work inside the states."

well there is but he's a little way away from it yet :( also , the more scale he gets , the more time it takes . the way scale art builds them is well worth it . I would sping for 2 If I was not so h#!! bent on making my own + having to replace my fuel pump on my truck :mad: (why they put that stoopid electronic POS on a good motor is beyond me :mad: )

Brian in PA
04-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Sounds very appealing, but still very expensive, even at $610. Is there anyway we can find a machine shop, company, or even an individual inside the USA that could produce these for less? I think the Euro's value is killing us! If we kept it inside the USA, it would be nice. There has got to be someone who can do this kind of work inside the states.

I agree Nathan. this issue has been raised many times from different people. I even contacted a vendor in NJ I believe. When I asked him about making a small scale cylinder. He had told me that a model truck dealer (Ric) in the US had contacted them several times about this but they weren't able to do it. the one thing about Scale Art is that you get what you pay for.

9W Monighan
04-20-2012, 04:57 AM
I'm sure I could build some if I was interested enough. But $600 each that may be enough to change my mind. I'll get some practice when I make a couple short ones for my Payhaulers.

heavy_duty
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey everyone.I contacted scale-art because we were out of options here in the states.We are at a point where we need the cylinders now.A couple of people have been planning on doing cylinders and WE ALL KNOW OF A JOKER HERE ON THE BOARD FROM WEST COAST THAT'S screwing everyone on the cylinders.So I went outside the box and found someone.I tried several machine shops here in the states,no luck.So I welcome everyone to try and build some,I would support you and buy from you.Let the builds begin.AND REMEMBER NO JOKERS ALLOWED.

ED

9W Monighan
04-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Brian, Get me some more info on the dimensions and I'll look around one of my special tool drawers and see what tooling I can come up with. I sketched some ideas on some paper this evening and may have come up with a solution. I'll have to draw these ideas up on CAD to see how it'll work. Been looking for a challenge since I'm at a standstill on my dragline lately.

ihbuilder
04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I have them planned , But , just not now , I have to much going to start into another part . I held back for awhile out of respect to the other feller .

pugs
04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I had thought bout making them but have gotten so busy with other work in the shop I haven't been able to even look at simple hose barbs since the initial ones I made.

Espeefan
04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Brian, and Ed, I completely understand the limited resources for this kind of stuff in the states, and I appreciate the leg work you guys are putting into this project/group buy. I know sometimes you just run out of options and have no choice but to pony up the cash! I look forward to the day when we can self-support our hobby here in the states, with our own supply of aftermarket parts, and look how far we've already come. There is still time for growth in the hobby here in the USA. We'll get there someday. It's great some have stepped forward with ideas and maybe some production cylinders, made in American? Let's hope!

heavy_duty
04-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Nathan,you are absolutely correct.We would doing ourselves a great service to keep everything produced here.I know that's my goal.I learn from all of you guys every time I look here on the board.To all you on the board,keep on building and we will support you.that's all folks.lol

Ed

Stepside
04-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Brian, and Ed, I completely understand the limited resources for this kind of stuff in the states, and I appreciate the leg work you guys are putting into this project/group buy.

well said!

I appreciate the hard work and leading the charge also! Looking forward to an update on this :D

Stepside
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Gentlemen, any updates?

9W Monighan
05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
I have some cad drawings I drew up and just got some tubing in yesterday. If I get some time this week I'll give my design a try. Another member suggested to me that the ram should extend at least 30'' for a dump trailer to get close to 60deg. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Can someone give me some info for the attachment and closed height dimension? I could go over to my friend's shop and check one of his 1:1 dumps though.

JAMMER
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Steve the closed height should be about 5 inches and the attachments would be pins about 1/8 inch or less on the top and bottom. I was thinking a 1 inch lower tube and then a 7/8 3/4 5/8 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 with the 7/8 to 1/4 being the stages and 4 1/2 inches long would give you about 30 inches. This way if you wanted a shorter cylinder just subtract a stage or start with a smaller bottom tube and go up. The hole problem is the sealing of the stages, not to tight and not to loose. This is only a suggestion to the problem and I think I am going to give it a try either with O rings or packing or both. Ed

justin
06-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Any updates

heavy_duty
06-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I talked to scale-art a week ago and they stated I would have it in my hands this month.So as soon as it arrives I will post pics.

Ed

heavy_duty
08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Hello all.Those of you that were at Indy this year got to see and feel the new 5 stage cylinders from scale-art.This guys are made from stainless steel and look great.They are making 6 of these cylinders total,3 are spoken for(Ed,BrianPa,and his buddy who bought his trailer)that leaves 3 more available.They cost 504 euro,I know thats steep but you only have to buy it once.I am also ordering 2, 4 stage cylinders.(ed and jd) they are 336 euro.Don't miss out guys,let me know asap,they will be here in a cou[le weeks.Thanks Ed.

Brian in PA
08-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the update Ed! Guys these scale art cylinders are worth the money. As light as my dump body is on my latest triaxle, the body comes down without tapping it down or added wight!

heavy_duty
09-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Hello everyone.The cylinders are just about ready for delivery.The final cost will be $510 euro.I have a total of 7 made.So far 2 are spoken for(Ed&BrainPA)So let me know who wants one.

Stepside
09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Sign me up! :cool:

Stepside
10-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks a ton for getting this going Ed, you've done a great thing for the hobby! I took my cylinder to the show this weekend and couldn't help myself to mock it up in my trailer! I think it'll do the job!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/normtows/Brookville%20Oct%202012/BrookvilleOct2012038.jpg

Claus
10-14-2012, 06:47 PM
You guys are killing me!

ihbuilder
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks a ton for getting this going Ed, you've done a great thing for the hobby! I took my cylinder to the show this weekend and couldn't help myself to mock it up in my trailer! I think it'll do the job!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/normtows/Brookville%20Oct%202012/BrookvilleOct2012038.jpg

aw man , that means they will werk for scrappy

justin
01-27-2013, 02:02 PM
r these stil available ?

IDontKnow
02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
I second that motion!
Are these still available or do we have any further info about where to get them?

nutmag
08-23-2013, 05:42 PM
These look pretty simple. Do they use seals and wiper orings? They seen pretty close on the rods and walls, not sure there is room in there.

Claus
04-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Any chance of anybody doing another run of these?

JDH429
04-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Claus , Ive been in contact with Scale Art about doing another run of these . Im getting ready to start a thread in the B/S/T soon.

MoRockN
04-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Claus , Ive been in contact with Scale Art about doing another run of these . Im getting ready to start a thread in the B/S/T soon.
Awesome man! I'm in if they give you the green light.
Ayoub

Kingcam2
04-20-2014, 02:49 AM
I am in for one if they will do a batch of them as well.

JDH429
04-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Guys, I started a thread in the buy/sell forum
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=8784

Claus
04-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Jason thanks for organizing this, not sure I can justify one but it's great they are being made again.

ricm
05-11-2014, 09:16 PM
hi - I have been watching this thread with interest, I don't have enough posts to respond in the B/S/T section so I hope this gets through to you. I have a request which I hope will work....:D

I'm looking for a multi-stage ram which will extent to something around 710mm with un-extended length as per the drawings in the other B/S/T post.

So question for JDH429....can SA add 1 more stage to the existing 5-stage design for me as an 'extra'? I am happy to pay an incremental amount for the extra stage, but also hoping to take advantage of the group buy if they can simply add to the current design. That way, I can also be one of the 10 customers you need to make the deal work.

I've got about 38 posts now, not far to go for me to send a PM and have this conversation in the right thread :D

thanks

JDH429
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Ricm, The order needs to be for the same cylinder. The point of the group buy is to reduce the cost of a special order run. SA won't do a special setup for any less than 10 of the same item. So if you want a 6 stage you'll need to get another group buy together. Good luck, it's proving to be impossible to get enough interest in a 5 stage.

Claus
01-23-2017, 05:31 AM
Love to see another run of these.

JAMMER
01-23-2017, 10:20 AM
I will take a 6 stage if we can get enough to get them. Ed

trewq
01-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Is anyone having any experience with multistage cylinders made out of brass? I've actually made one for Doggy's 3 axis halfpipe but I've never installed and tested it. I have other priorities now...

Cooper
01-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Is anyone having any experience with multistage cylinders made out of brass? I've actually made one for Doggy's 3 axis halfpipe but I've never installed and tested it. I have other priorities now...

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=9048&page=87

I made a test one from brass then the final from stainless. Mine are double acting , both ports in bottom, telescopic. Have been wanting to use 1/32 o rings to make seal walls even thinner. As of now I believe I used 1/16" and for the project I did I only needed two stages. But the application would be same.