PDA

View Full Version : painting the frame

72kw
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
just got my new "stretch " rails for my knight hauler..i want to assemble as much of it as possible and paint it..my question is would "scuffing " the black plastic parts be enough and the shoot with primerand the paint.. i dont think the plastic is flexible enough to crack the paint:confused:

SonoranWraith
09-08-2010, 01:38 AM
I always wash with degreaser to make sure the mold release is gone, fine sand and prime. I also prefer to paint assemblies but that is just preference.

Claus
09-08-2010, 02:21 AM
The last time I painted an assembled chassis I used self etching primer. The paint stuck extremely well and I did not scuff anything, the thing I did not like is the paint looked to thick to me.

Tamiya Cowboy
09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Use red scotch bright and scuff all the parts frame and all then was with a good dish soap or spray down with a ready prep from the body shop. I spray all my frames built with out tanks and steps and tranny. I first use a black Dupont etching primer then I use a light gray Dupont finish primer and then your color. You should always use a finish primer over etch as etching primers can bleed back threw time to time.

72kw
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
i think i am going to assemble the whole frame and suspension and paint as one...i am in the process of re-fitting all the components to the new rails..(finding out some holes are not the same diameter and 2 so far are missing)..:mad:

Dreamweaver
10-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Use red scotch bright and scuff all the parts frame and all then was with a good dish soap or spray down with a ready prep from the body shop.

Paul, just a hint, you do not want to use dish soap or any other liquid soap that is meant to be used where contact with a humans hands is likely.. They have lanolin in them and that will cause fish eye's in the paint job.

Just an FYI
-Mike

Losiassociated
10-24-2010, 04:51 AM
well said Dreamweaver,I use a red scotch bright to paint mine and I paint the whole thing as a unit.
Greg

Tamiya Cowboy
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Paul, just a hint, you do not want to use dish soap or any other liquid soap that is meant to be used where contact with a humans hands is likely.. They have lanolin in them and that will cause fish eye's in the paint job.

Just an FYI
-Mike

well said Dreamweaver,I use a red scotch bright to paint mine and I paint the whole thing as a unit.
Greg

Right I know that one step ahead of you there I ran a body shop for a number of years there are still soaps out there that are good old fission hard on your skin soaps.. Plus I never paint anything with out wiping with prep solvent before i spray any primer. LOL not my first rodeo I spray for a living everyday. Greg I also use red scotch bright but if you are not washing or using a final prep before primer you will have issues just wait just like using that crap squad puddy or real bondo brand body filler it you are not buying quality filler you will have issues there are only 2 company's in the about body world that make filler that they warranty against shrinking 100% read close I see a lot of guys making this mistake also.

Bodyman
10-24-2010, 10:13 AM
whats the difference from a red scotch bright and a green? does it matter?

Brian in PA
10-24-2010, 10:43 AM
The green I think is coarser. The gray is ultra fine, this is what I use .

Brian

Dreamweaver
10-24-2010, 12:22 PM
No problem Paul, I am sure you have painted enough stuff just in this hobby, I just made it clear for someone that might not know and was reading your post.
You did say that you was it down with dish soap or a prep from a body shop. I know you meant "and" instead of "or" but someone that has little to no experience painting might not...

Wasn't trying to correct you, just giving some helpful information..

-Mike

Brian in PA
10-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Mike, If you get some Prepsol or any other wax and grease remover, this is what you want. You can even get the stuff at Auto Zone or any auto parts place.

Brian

Tamiya Cowboy
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
No problem Paul, I am sure you have painted enough stuff just in this hobby, I just made it clear for someone that might not know and was reading your post.
You did say that you was it down with dish soap or a prep from a body shop. I know you meant "and" instead of "or" but someone that has little to no experience painting might not...

Wasn't trying to correct you, just giving some helpful information..

-Mike

Yep no prob Mike..Maybe it came acrossed wrong I was only out of bed 15 mins this morning when I posted it..LOL :D