PDA

View Full Version : Clubhouse?

pigeonfarmboy
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I for one am tired of seeing all these badass European dudes that have wicked "train-layout-quality" facilities. Their big kid sandbox time is just exponentially greater than our shows/GTGs. No offense to our shows, but they just don't compare.

Solution? A permanent facility we can build upon and grow into. If it's a COOP or Club setup, I'd like to use this thread to start discussion about the possibility of making this a reality.

Obviously location and dollar amount are the biggest key factors.

Points of consideration:
-Cost (Club Dues or Buy-in COOP)
-Facility rental/lease + Utilities
-Building security to leave items
-Frequency of Get Togethers
-Material Cost
-Positions of Leadership (President, VP, Treasurer, etc.)
-Number of members

I have experience running a 100+ member strong RC Rock Crawling Club in the past so I have an idea of what kind of time/organization it takes to do something like this.

I know many of you are extremely busy and have families that conflict with fun time so I don't take any offense to being told this is a dumb idea that can't happen. Maybe I'm just really hardcore about this stuff but I can see myself grabbing my cot and setting up for an all weekend session once a month. Again I don't have any kids or obligations to stay home every weekend so I have a different perspective.

dabears
04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
I'd be interested in looking into it! If I had the money me and my truck would be on a plane to Denmark to go visit that awesome set up they have! I love this hobby and can't wait to expand My collection as I sell my flying RC collection. even having 2 kids I think it would be a fun thing to do, plus I'll put them to work... Lol as they get older and get their own trucks they could have fun too. I think it's a great idea!

pigeonfarmboy
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
My thought for location is Indy. Simply because it's a centralized location for the vast majority of us. I know for some of the Midwest guys that's a **** of a drive so your input is certainly needed.

I've come close a couple times to just hopping on a plane to Germany. It's eventually going to happen but I always seem to find my way into a new job before going.

YoungGunz
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
I've put a fair amount of thought into this as well..... after I put my self through college I have thought about bringing up the same idea but funds are limited until I'm done with school. I'm always a bit envious of the guys across the pond with those club houses. Some of them look like morton buildings and could be put on someones land that was into this. Could end up being cheaper in the long run instead of renting or leasing. Draw backs of leasing and renting would be having a land lord that has to approve of what we are doing and we couldn't do whatever we want, there would be rules that we would have to follow.

And if we did get enough members, a "membership" might not be as expensive or we could have a nicer club house or more benefits.

Just my 2 cents :)

J.D.

Espeefan
04-29-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm with you, Nate. Those truck layouts over in Europe are absolutely killer! I would love to see something like that come states side. It would really be no different then a model railroading club. Those guys pay dues, put in time to set up and build the layout, bring their models, and have a great time. There are public visiting days, and it would be an incredible way to promote the hobby and make it grow.

heavy_duty
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I dig the idea.I think a permanent layout would be awesome.I would definitely be in on it.I would gladly pay dues and make a trip at least once a month to run and perform maintenance on the facility.let's do it.

Ed

woodhog
04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I like the idea as well,the only thing i see might be the guys who cant make the tripp as often as others how do charge for that?Do you still have a buy in or membership or charge a weekend deal.the other issue is everybody is so spread out ,where in EU there is alot of members so close together.Whatever the situation is if it is something that is reasonable i am in :cool:

Snochaser
04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I like the idea too. Indy is a good thought on location, to keep it in a more rural area would keep the rental/lease cost down. Old (small) warehouse or similar location, nice to have room in the lot for rv's or campers for the overnighters.

Ben

spudd
04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Well I have thought about this also and Travis and I touched on this.
What are your thoughts on Minnesota ???
I have a 105 x 50 shed that I rent half out to my snowmobile club and would be willing to use the other half for this.If this is a option someone let me know I would be happy to work out something.

I have 40 acres to play on and there is a super 8 motel across the street

siuvinson
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Well I have thought about this also and Travis and I touched on this.
What are your thoughts on Minnesota ???
I have a 105 x 50 shed that I rent half out to my snowmobile club and would be willing to use the other half for this.If this is a option someone let me know I would be happy to work out something.

I have 40 acres to play on and there is a super 8 motel across the street

While I don't think many will bite on this idea - I LOVE IT! :D

We've got a family lake cabin 10 miles north of lake mille lacs...so doing this would just add another incentive to make the 8 hour drive from chicago :p

Tamiya Cowboy
05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
This is a great Idea and Ed and I have talked it over many times. But to have it in Indy is too far away for guys like me and a few others because just to go to indy alone for the show costs way to much plus a 12hr drive that is why Ed and I started doing a get together in his shop and even that is a long drive for it to be worth it to me it would need to be in that 6hr area from me. Spuds already got a building and room so you cut some cost right off the bat.

pigeonfarmboy
05-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Good to know. That's a 10 hour drive for me. So If I left work on a Friday at 5 that gets me there @ 3am. So Saturday all day then Sunday home. 20 hours of driving for 10 hoursish of play.

Certainly takes care of much of the cost factor and I'm sure a few of us could carpool up. With use of my small trailer we can get everything transported as needed and still have passenger room.

spudd
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
It's hard to find a central spot to make every one happy.
It would be nice to have two spots kinda on both ends and do a switch from year to year
I know it's not possible but it would be more fair

I would like to discuss this more and get someone to spearhead this I am open to any spot that works for everyone. Some ideas of what type of lay out everyone is thinking of I'm willing to help in anyway I can

mazdaparts
05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I think this is a great idea. It would be nice to have a spot to put down roots and grow a nice facility. Spuds spot sounds ideal, big, lots of room for parking/camping and a motel across the street. It is a far trip though to spend a weekend for me. I'm with Paul 6 hours is about max one way.
Someone could take this a step farther and maybe partner with a hobby shop to be a parts supplier or become a dealer and have a spot.

siuvinson
05-02-2012, 04:53 AM
PFB - the carpool idea is a good one! The convoy could start with you (or anyone south of you) and gradually add on people and more cars/trucks as we head north!

I honestly have no idea how much of a commitment I could make to this, but for the sake of the hobby I'd sure like to see something get established. Too many changes in my life right now so I would be limited only a trip or 2 per year at best...but like I said, if I'm up there for vacation I would LOVE to spend a day away from the lake playing in the dirt, as its not very far from our cabin. Of course, that means I'll have to bring more to the table that just a wheeled skid...I better get busy!!

If things start to get off the ground on this little idea, I'm going to be driving up that way the first weekend in June (memorial service for my Grandfather at the lake). On the off chance that anything needs to be dropped off at Spudd's place (parts/materials/etc donated to the clubhouse), I'd be happy to take them up! Just get whatever it is to me and I'll take it from there.

dabears
05-02-2012, 06:11 AM
I like the carpool idea. And it makes sense. Would be cheaper for people too splitting the gas there and back. Almost like when I take fishing trips to Canada 6 of us hop in a mini van with a trailer.

Espeefan
05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm digging the Minnesota idea. From the sounds of things, it would almost be ideal. You've got site security covered because Spudd actually lives there, and there is lodging close by. It goes a long way when you've got a guy offering up a site for a trucking layout, and he's into the hobby himself.

It's going to be really hard deciding on a single location, because someone will always end up driving farther. There are a ton of guys in Indiana, but if this is for the Central Plains guys, why wouldn't you settle on a site a little more centered between all the members. Indy is a quite a hike, for many. Wisconsin, Minnesota, or maybe Illinois would be a better choice? Maybe even Iowa?

But then again, beggers can't be choosers! If you have a member willing to offer up a spot, it might just make sense to run with the idea!

trilliwilli
05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Intresting to read you call us Badass.

There are a lot of permanent courses in Germany and Austria, but most of them are outdoor. So riding in the summer and only when it is dry.

If you see indoor pictures of large courses with sand, buildings and everything around it, it's most of the time a 2 or 3 day event that's held once a year.

Especially in Germany, they have a habbit of building huge courses with several truckloads of sand or soil. Even large watertanks are build with EPDM foils.

Isn't it an idea to organise such an event instead of building a fixed course?

To give you an idea, here are some pictures of the last Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=lCPeKCBn

This was a 4 day event, and afterwords everything was cleaned up.
Usually organised in large event centers, there are also traders and lots of other scales and modelbuilding disciplines, so it's only logical that an course is large, it attracks lots of people that also pay entry fees to get in.

For an example of fixed courses, check these sites for inspiration:

Moosbeuren, South Germany
http://indoor-parcours-sueddeutschland.de/bilder/vom-parcours/

Glashaus, in an old glas wharehouse
http://www.rc-glashaus.de/lkw-1.html

Modellstadt Bremerhaven
http://www.modellstadt-bremerhaven.de/gal_die_modellstadt.php

I have never been to one of these fixed courses, the events I visit are usually truckshows or fancy fairs where one of the Dutch clubs is hired to give a demo. I placed several photoshoots of these events and placed them in the international section.

They use mobile courses, most of the time made from hardboard, square pieces of 1x1 meter or 1,2x1,2 meter, painted with roads on them. They lay them out in a predetermined setup, and have some foldable/detachable buildings to place on.

I personally think this is the second best to a fixed course, with the advance of flexibility to lay them out where ever you want.

The distances are a lot bigger fot you guys, and I am amazed by the fact that you want to drive for up to 10 hours just for a little bit of fun.

Perhaps a mobile course is the way to go.

And if you plan the dimensions and roads on drawings, everybody can make seperatly from each other a few road sections.

This all just to give you some ideas.

Good luck with the decisions.

9W Monighan
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
The best or cheapest way to have an indoor layout is know of a local hobby shop that a has a indoor racetrack or crawl area that would accommodate trucks or earthmovers, or by attending a already established show such as Indy without real dirt or The Cabin Fever Expo that I have started where the sky's the limit there with space and accommodations and move all the materials in and out like Trilliwilli has posted.

grumpygrady
05-02-2012, 01:10 PM
there is always Florida
we have three acres that is just sitting here with a water well and electric
outside of gainesville florida
about half trees and half grass field
need to think about more than one spot need one in the north and east ,the south and the west and can have a meet at each one once or twice a year with the main club members dues ,helping out all of them and each one having it own members dues used at their place
this way each would be able to go to at least one main meet each year and others more

pigeonfarmboy
05-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Intresting to read you call us Badass.

There are a lot of permanent courses in Germany and Austria, but most of them are outdoor. So riding in the summer and only when it is dry.

If you see indoor pictures of large courses with sand, buildings and everything around it, it's most of the time a 2 or 3 day event that's held once a year.

Especially in Germany, they have a habbit of building huge courses with several truckloads of sand or soil. Even large watertanks are build with EPDM foils.

Isn't it an idea to organise such an event instead of building a fixed course?

To give you an idea, here are some pictures of the last Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=lCPeKCBn

This was a 4 day event, and afterwords everything was cleaned up.
Usually organised in large event centers, there are also traders and lots of other scales and modelbuilding disciplines, so it's only logical that an course is large, it attracks lots of people that also pay entry fees to get in.

For an example of fixed courses, check these sites for inspiration:

Moosbeuren, South Germany
http://indoor-parcours-sueddeutschland.de/bilder/vom-parcours/

Glashaus, in an old glas wharehouse
http://www.rc-glashaus.de/lkw-1.html

Modellstadt Bremerhaven
http://www.modellstadt-bremerhaven.de/gal_die_modellstadt.php

I have never been to one of these fixed courses, the events I visit are usually truckshows or fancy fairs where one of the Dutch clubs is hired to give a demo. I placed several photoshoots of these events and placed them in the international section.

They use mobile courses, most of the time made from hardboard, square pieces of 1x1 meter or 1,2x1,2 meter, painted with roads on them. They lay them out in a predetermined setup, and have some foldable/detachable buildings to place on.

I personally think this is the second best to a fixed course, with the advance of flexibility to lay them out where ever you want.

The distances are a lot bigger fot you guys, and I am amazed by the fact that you want to drive for up to 10 hours just for a little bit of fun.

Perhaps a mobile course is the way to go.

And if you plan the dimensions and roads on drawings, everybody can make seperatly from each other a few road sections.

This all just to give you some ideas.

Good luck with the decisions.

Yeah the Moosbeuren location is my favorite I've seen and what would be my inspiration for what I'd want from a permanent facility.

The best or cheapest way to have an indoor layout is know of a local hobby shop that a has a indoor racetrack or crawl area that would accommodate trucks or earthmovers, or by attending a already established show such as Indy without real dirt or The Cabin Fever Expo that I have started where the sky's the limit there with space and accommodations and move all the materials in and out like Trilliwilli has posted.

No offense to any show at all. I have had a blast at Indy and Brookeville. It's just not the same for me. Working in dirt/sand/rocks is a completely different experience. Being able to actually build the roads and work the ground is more involved. Building towards a goal that isn't just torn down at the end of a weekend is a more fun idea to me.

Everyone is going to have a different idea and Spudd is right, no location is going to be perfect for everyone. Give & take is the name of the game here. To be completely honest, without a location like this, I don't think there's an affordable way to do this with the limited number of members that would participate in this. The whole reason I started this thread was to discuss if it's even a remote reality of making this happen. I for one am super-excited this glimmer of possiblity has presented itself.

To move further, maybe we should set a date up there and have a meeting? Or just wait for Indy when most of us are together.

You got any photos of the spot Spudd?

spudd
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I will get some this weekend and post them

ihbuilder
05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I was thinking more in the line of a sole person own a place/layout and host get together . I'm thinking along those lines in the future with an outdoor/indoor layout once I start my 1:14 scale GR layout . We as americans and canadians have a major draw back ( vast miles between us ) I don't think just 1 place will work :( I have to finish my shop/addition and truck shed , but after that I'm planning to build another pole/bank barn just for the layout . Me being on the mountain side , it could be an interesting layout ;)

doodlebug
05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Anybody considered a used 53 ft reefer trailer? Portable:eek::eek::eek::p:D:D
just my $.002 from the back far side of everywhere:eek::eek::eek:

Cheer's, Neil.

pigeonfarmboy
05-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah no reason not to start this same discussion in the other regional forums.

woodhog
05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
there should be older rundown homes in almost any part of the country!Take and gut them on the interier.i do like steve's ideas on some one owning for the sake of security when leaving items (toys)

ihbuilder
05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah no reason not to start this same discussion in the other regional forums.

Sorry , Nate :o I was just trying to make a suggestion and give a little insight to something I've been kicking around in my cluttered head for awhile . :o

pigeonfarmboy
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
No need to be sorry. Just suggesting so you guys could get the ball rolling on having maximum fun! It's a sad truth we're so spread out here.

Ken Orme
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Hole the event in conjuction with an another event such as the "Cabin Feaver Expo" in york Pa. It would be one way to see what the interst would be.

Ken

Izzy
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey ya'll - Wow - great idea finally crossing everybody's mind. I think we all wouldlove to have some place to go 'play' throughout the year.

I would think that a fixed location would be fantastic, but we are really spread out.

but

a fairly organized group can pull this off. with enough advance notice and we 'all' can schedule a vacation time for a fabulous weekend. I say 'all' because I know there are some that that is just not possible. And like PFB pointed out it takes a structured group - only so that others can easily step in and cover or when some have an interuption. Nothin like calling off a big thing just cause of regular day to day stuff. And carpooling makes all the difference in breaking up the cost - and it takes just a little coordination to pull off.

Also - I think we all know of an almost forgotten biulding on the skirts of a town or in an older industrial area or something like that that could be arranged fairly easily. Spudds offer is huge.

as for the semi trailer idea - on the surface it sounds good, but in actuality - not much space....bummer though.

If we had a regular facility we wouldn't need to rely on events like Indy to get together and have a good time.

Izzy

pigeonfarmboy
10-21-2012, 07:58 PM
So.....
Building across from Ed's

Pros:
$1500 per month operating cost
A/C & Heat
Sleeping bag/cot to cut hotel cost
Hotels close by
Airport access
Alarm system
Constantly able to be monitored by Ed on a daily basis.
Area next to bobcat perfect for co-op tools / mill / lathe
Hobby shop access

Negative points:
Distance for some (always going to be an issue no matter where we go)
Cost depending on # of members

Breakdown of monthly membership costs:
10 people $150
15 $100
20 $75

Thoughts? Where do we go from here? Getting a list of how many will participate so we can nail down cost will be key. I've been looking @ buildings here for higher rates and no climate control/ alarm. I'm willing to dedicate at least one weekend a month to this. (more in the winter) I'm sure others will vary. Something else to keep in mind, guys that can't make it often could "work off" dues by building structures or elements to the site. This is the same setup the model railroad club guys have.

Discuss

Snochaser
10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Nate, I was trying to find a "center" point for most of us and I see Ft. Wayne, IN --> Celina, OH. If that works I'll do s'more research. Ben Ed's is a bit far for me to do on a regular basis. I don't Know........

woodhog
10-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Nate, I was trying to find a "center" point for most of us and I see Ft. Wayne, IN --> Celina, OH. If that works I'll do s'more research. Ben Ed's is a bit far for me to do on a regular basis. I don't Know........

same here for us southern guys but if there is enough members to get cost down im game just keep us all posted

YoungGunz
10-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I would be in if we had atleast 10 guys. I could come down possibly once a month maybe every two. Keep us posted on what you figure out. Car pooling would also cut down on costs.

rockNmayhem
10-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Nathan that was a great location and area to have setup. I would only be able to make it once every couple of months if that but I would be willing to build and help with anything I can. I do have a guy here in town that approached me this morning about having us do a show here in town in april and he has a location that we can set up and he will let us use anything we need to, to have a good time. It will be going on during an antique semi truck antique show so there would be some very interested spectators so I was thinking it may be a neat thing to try and setup if anyone would be interested in heading this far west. I'm about 8hrs out from St. Louis.

Tyler

dabears
10-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Location is always going to play the problem part... As well as size. For those that dont have a dump truck or trailer or a loader dirt does no good. road area and docks bridges etc would be needed too. Eds place was a decent size but we outgrew it in a matter of hours with limited floor space to run the highway trucks vs the construction equip... Now if we would be using rubber vs dirt, that makes it a little nicer and cleaner obviously we could build bigger bridge systems etc.. I like the ideas that we could do and things we can make. Maybe we should also look at making a list of all those who would be interested, how often they would go, what they would bring to run as well as how far they would want to drive. Im sure we can find a common medium and if its in an area that we could get good internet services then we can set up IPbased remote security cameras to monitor the area when people are not there. This helping protect any and all assets inside. Just my .02 i love the idea of having a clubhouse or a place to meet when we dont have things like Indy to go to.

pigeonfarmboy
10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't expect this to all happen right away. I do think it gives us a reference point for cost and idea basics though to determine the ideal place.

I definitely agree Aaron. I just assumed we would make a roadway for semis. Wifi security isn't good enough for me to leave my stuff somewhere. I need a club "foreman" to be able to take action should something happen. St. Louis sets a pretty high bar for security level. Going to be hard to beat that space. I agree too with amount of space. It's a very large space but the area gets taken up quickly. Unfortunately anything larger than that is likely to drive up the price beyond "affordable".

So Tyler you bring up a good point. Do we allow non club members access any time they want to come? This defeats the purpose of members paying (investing) into the club and doesn't seem fair. That said I think it's stupid not to let non-members play but there has to be an admission price to do so. This is one thing that would add revenue to the club but an unpredictable amount. Not allowing non-members in doesn't allow the club to expand and cuts off growth to the hobby.

rockNmayhem
10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't expect this to all happen right away. I do think it gives us a reference point for cost and idea basics though to determine the ideal place.

I definitely agree Aaron. I just assumed we would make a roadway for semis. Wifi security isn't good enough for me to leave my stuff somewhere. I need a club "foreman" to be able to take action should something happen. St. Louis sets a pretty high bar for security level. Going to be hard to beat that space. I agree too with amount of space. It's a very large space but the area gets taken up quickly. Unfortunately anything larger than that is likely to drive up the price beyond "affordable".

So Tyler you bring up a good point. Do we allow non club members access any time they want to come? This defeats the purpose of members paying (investing) into the club and doesn't seem fair. That said I think it's stupid not to let non-members play but there has to be an admission price to do so. This is one thing that would add revenue to the club but an unpredictable amount. Not allowing non-members in doesn't allow the club to expand and cuts off growth to the hobby.

Nathan great point there. As I mentioned before I will gladly help out and pay anything I can or build whatever we need (that I can fit inside the car of course) for the facility but as you brought up non member fees for entry would be a good idea.

You could simply have a $10-$20 admission fee for a day to use the facility and run equipment along with also providing growing relations if people wanted to come and try it out to see if it's something they'd be interested in.

I know for me if there was a place to go and play and have a fun day running my machines and it was climate controlled and had all the facilities I needed I'd gladly pay $20 to go play for a weekend of enjoyment.

Now I know some people would think that was absurd but maybe do a one or two day free trial to see it and if they decided it was worth it they may be willing to come back or become a member?

Many many good thoughts to consider and I'm sure something could easily be worked out.

Tyler

Supermario
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Hey, hey ! I can do Fort Wayne! It's about 7.5 hrs for me. That type of location would allow us guys just north of the border to get involved..... If you'll take us that is...:eek: PLEASE! :)
In regards to non members and admission. offer an open house every now and then. Get them in and get them hooked! :)

I know the location which serves the most will make it more successful so I can only hope it ends up somewhere near my neck of the woods. That's my 4 Canadian cents.... :)

Remember this phrase?....." Build it, and they will come " :D

Mario

TRUCKMAKER
10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I would really like to see some thing like this happen, the set-up in St. Louis sounds great but the 6+ hour drive one way even once a month pretty much kills it for my schedule. I'm already making a 4-6 hour round trip into Michigan every 2-3 weeks (I'm not an over the road driver any more)LOL. This is going to be the problem no matter where we go. That being said If you could get enough people together in that area or that are able to make the drive, to make it viable by all means go for it. I would definitely pay a reasonable fee to come down and work/play when I can.

I would be interested in the Ft Wayne to Celina Ohio area Snochaser talked about, 2-3 hours out works for me!

YoungGunz
10-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Now if we would be using rubber vs dirt, that makes it a little nicer and cleaner obviously we could build bigger bridge systems etc.. I like the ideas that we could do and things we can make.

I do agree that rubber is alot cleaner than dirt, but rubber is much better for shows since we will have to clean up at the end, but you cant really do "work" with the rubber. I feel dirt would be in our best interest, true, it makes a mess but we could actually work towards making roads, bridges, or whatever we want, because it has that packing ability. And since this would be a long term thing we wouldnt have to worry about cleaning up the dirt.

Going to be hard to beat that space. I agree too with amount of space. It's a very large space but the area gets taken up quickly. Unfortunately anything larger than that is likely to drive up the price beyond "affordable".

The space would be perfect, we wouldnt have nearly as many people each time and people would bring what they need, not all of their projects. Using the back wall as a "workshop/workbench" area would be plenty. Eventually we would make more than one level for the trucks increasing actual play area. I feel like at this show the space was used up so quickly, because first off, we didn't have a real game plan, so things were spread far apart to begin with, then we had tables set up all around which would be useable space in a club house.

You could simply have a $10-$20 admission fee for a day to use the facility and run equipment along with also providing growing relations if people wanted to come and try it out to see if it's something they'd be interested in.

Tyler

I think $10-$20 would be unfair for paying members. Let me throw some numbers out there and see what you guys think. If a club member was paying $100 a month to be a member of the club they would pay out $1200 a year. Now if they made it to the club house one weekend of every month, they would be technically paying $50 a day to play. (this is most likely not true for most guys, since once a month isn't always feasible. Most likely some would be paying over $100 a day to play.) Personally I think it should be more expensive for non-members to play, that way we avoid guys coming and playing more than club members and still benefiting more since they don't have to pay dues. Also non-members wouldn't have to worry about buying the dirt, the club members would worry about that and that would be on top of the club dues. I think the whole idea behind a club is to have benefits that not everyone else has. I don't want people to think that i don't want them their if they aren't in the club, but it needs to be fair for everyone.

woodhog
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I a;so want to remind everyone that the area in St Louis is real close to the airport.I know that plane tics get expensive too.A member wouldnt have to bring evwrything to have a good time just come to hang and run equipment that is there.I think it would work just gonna take everyones ideas and input to make it happen:)

rockNmayhem
10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I do agree that rubber is alot cleaner than dirt, but rubber is much better for shows since we will have to clean up at the end, but you cant really do "work" with the rubber. I feel dirt would be in our best interest, true, it makes a mess but we could actually work towards making roads, bridges, or whatever we want, because it has that packing ability. And since this would be a long term thing we wouldnt have to worry about cleaning up the dirt.

The space would be perfect, we wouldnt have nearly as many people each time and people would bring what they need, not all of their projects. Using the back wall as a "workshop/workbench" area would be plenty. Eventually we would make more than one level for the trucks increasing actual play area. I feel like at this show the space was used up so quickly, because first off, we didn't have a real game plan, so things were spread far apart to begin with, then we had tables set up all around which would be useable space in a club house.

I think $10-$20 would be unfair for paying members. Let me throw some numbers out there and see what you guys think. If a club member was paying $100 a month to be a member of the club they would pay out $1200 a year. Now if they made it to the club house one weekend of every month, they would be technically paying $50 a day to play. (this is most likely not true for most guys, since once a month isn't always feasible. Most likely some would be paying over $100 a day to play.) Personally I think it should be more expensive for non-members to play, that way we avoid guys coming and playing more than club members and still benefiting more since they don't have to pay dues. Also non-members wouldn't have to worry about buying the dirt, the club members would worry about that and that would be on top of the club dues. I think the whole idea behind a club is to have benefits that not everyone else has. I don't want people to think that i don't want them their if they aren't in the club, but it needs to be fair for everyone.

Hey J.D. I think you miss understood my comment earlier. I meant for the non members to have to pay to use the facility and I was just using myself as an example. If you are a club member paying dues there should be no extra fees to you other than a monthly due.

Also the fees from non members that pay to use the facility from time to time would be used towards paying bill such as added dirt, any extra unexpected bills or any upgrades that could be made to the area.

If a member is paying even $50 a month to use the facility and we had several members all extra income over the year could go into a club fund to help pay for things for large yearly events too that may produce more revenue for the facility as well.

Just what I was thinking, hope thats a little clearer?

Tyler

mazdaparts
10-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Just for giggles has anyone grabbed a map or google mapped everyones location to see where the most centrally located spot is? Or if not everyone, just the ones committed to paying dues and such. When that spot is found you could find the nearest member's town and find a spot there.

And continuing with the discussion at hand. I think the members should definitely have more perks than the day users. Such as assigned spots/table with a set of lockers to keep the toys in and secure. I don't have any yet, but I wouldn't want my expensive toys setting on shelves for anyone to touch/mess with. I also wouldn't want to hold any one person responsible for its security.

Radio Control Trucker
10-23-2012, 01:04 AM
I’ve been following the conversation from the beginning and I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately I live in California and just dream of a clubhouse for those of us on this side of the country.

If you have a set membership fee for members and a surcharge for non-members to visit, you should be able to generate enough funds to maintain your building and host multiple events throughout the year. You may even find that it’s profitable to purchase several trucks and trailers just for non-member use. If they get damaged, you could easily repair them and no one gets angry about their personal property getting wrecked; and you may even think about taking out insurance on every truck, this would be considered ‘personal property insurance’ with ‘replacement-value’ coverage.

Just a thought :D:D

- RCT

Supermario
10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
RCT makes a good point about non member truck and trailers ...I was at my vtery first truck meet last June , couple grand invested and loving to drive my rig around , then a young boy came up to me and asked if he could drive it:eek: sorry but I had to say no. Fortunately the creator of our club up here ( Civic83 ) was prepared for such a thing and allowed to let kids drive his truck if the parents were present and assist the kid if need be.:cool:
The idea of providing a few non member trucks would be a great way to generate income! I can just see the line of kids wanting to drive a truck.
Rent the trucks out by the hour. 10 bucks an hour , explain the rules of the road and proper conduct, etc. lets say 5 rigs = $50 / hr for every hour open;)

I'm a middle aged man and I grew up on spending money at the local arcade playing video games and believe me, I spent a lot more than 10 or 15 bucks in a night and for a kid nowadays to get away from the TV and get to drive an actual RC truck and be a part of a group is a win win situation.
We all want a clubhouse, but if you also want to expand or grow the hobby then the future as always, is in the kids. Kids like Liam :) a clubhouse is guaranteed to create a whole bunch of Liam's :):)

Mario

Radio Control Trucker
10-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Not only that Mario, but the kids would then have access to the members who have the experience and knowledge to help them with the purchase of their first trucks, as well as help them to build and modify the trucks and trailers to their hearts delight.

If only we could have had mentors with equipment like this when I was a kid. Man, all I had was static models and the old atari video games (when my parents could afford them).

- RCT

woodhog
10-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I agree with all that has been said.Last year at motor trends national auto show Rob (rcfarmer) had a bruder truck with a simple conversion to make it slow for kids to drive and they were lined up waiting to drive it .The equipment might be another story,but it operates the same as 1:1 and gives youth a chance to learn they indeed are our future.Liam plays with his truck every night and improves all the time his driving skills show it:)

DieselKid
10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm down for Fort Wayne!!!:) Hop, skip, and a jump for us.....of course I realize that's a different story for some.

-Alex

pigeonfarmboy
10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Location is obviously going to be the biggest obstacle we face. A list of committed members would be a great thing. A list of people who are willing to dedicate the needed time to keep up with this monster is probably a better idea. I can attest from experience, the person put in charge of handling this location is going to have to be very flexible with personal time. No offense, this is something most of the guys here can't offer due to family and time obligations.

I have an issue with the clubhouse being located somewhere none of us live. (I don't think anybody lives in Ft. Wayne correct?) Fort Wayne also adds a ton of distance for some of our most dedicated & potential members from down South. Security would be non-existant. Even if we had wifi cams setup, you guys know how long cops take to respond when we phone in "our toys are being stolen" right??

Not only that, I can't speak for you guys, but I want a super-dedicated person to act as "president" assigned to that location that lives nearby. Ed for example at the St. Louis location would likely need to be in charge of treasurer duties handling rent/utility payments through the club. I think I'd be the next closest so I'd be putting alot of time & money helping Ed and making sure the site would be well fitted for growth & playtime.

Not to downplay any of your ideas about kids and the future but that's something we don't even need to be thinking about at this time. Getting this thing off the ground is going to take priority over anything like that. Like I said, it's good to have ideas but we're really far off from that point at this time. (Kids can't ride Space Mountain if Disneyland doesn't exist.)

JD hit the nail on the head with his statement about non-member rates. What's the point of becoming a member if you can just pay whenever you want at a much cheaper cost? The whole point of the dues of this club will be to invest in a permanent facility. Indy is fun don't get me wrong, but tearing down every time sucks. It's going to be more expensive for the first batch of members but that's an unfortunate fact we must get past. We're essentially taking on a risk and there's a chance this won't be able to flourish. That's why fellow enthusiasts are needed to commit to the cause. It won't always be this way, but at this time we need to approach planning a different way than the clubhouse being an operational entity.

The scariest part of all this to me is the lack of participation in this thread by people I would think of as very interested parties. I'm no nazi when it comes to people keeping their lives glued to the computer screen but there's some that haven't said a peep that we want to hear their opinions too.

dabears
10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Very well stated Nate! I would be intersted in being a commited member.

As any club Bike, car, boat etc, if there were to be a physical building there would need to be a board. Pres, vice, money man, etc.... or a group of people responsible in determining changes, upgrades rules, then being voted on by paying members... Maybe im thinking too far ahead, but Its a lot of responsability to be in charge of everything at the place like i feel Ed may become and that could become overwhelming after awhile when your in charge of colecting money, paying rent, elec, water, alarm, having to watch the place, see who is bringing who, what is leaving with who etc.... What is his opinion on it? Im all for it even though without somekind of carpool i would never be able to make it once a month or prob even every other month. Open houses are nice yes but to me you might as well stick a sign out front saying "big $$$ toys for free inside" A club house should be that a CLUB house for club members and close friends or guests only. Just my .02

Radio Control Trucker
10-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Like I’ve stated before, I’m in California, so what I suggest is just my opinions. The idea of having a clubhouse just for the members, family and friends is excellent. It would also be good to have a location to have events for non-members to have a chance to use the r/c equipment and learn about the options available.

The club should have a form of government and the paying members should have ‘voting rights’. Decisions would have to be made regarding the use of space, money, and time.

Are you going to have more space regulated to road use or quarry use? What buildings are you going to allow into the lay-out? Is the lay-out going to be indoors, and available during the winter/summer months with temperature control, i.e. heating/air-conditioning? How much security do you think you’ll need? Will a set of security cameras be enough? Will you need a full security system? Or do you want a security guard service? Do you want to insure your replicas individually or will the entire complex be covered by insurance in case of any damage to replica’s on site? Will you have a refrigerator on site or will you have vending machines for soda and chips? Will you have mandatory meetings for the members, i.e. 6 month meeting or annual meeting? If it’s every 6 months or annually, it could be a bar-b-que for the entire family of all members and a chance to bring all the members together to have events with their trucks (tractor pulls, precision backing, and truck show).

These are just a few of the questions that you should want to have answered before you invest a lot in this project. It is a project that many of us want to see happen, but is it feasible?

I hope that you get the clubhouse started. Please accept my input as positive instructive criticism. The information/questions are just to provoke thought.

- RCT

Radio Control Trucker
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I like the idea of a clubhouse for fellow members with a passion for the r/c trucks and tractors that we have. If it could become a reality for the East Coast Mini-Truckers Club and the Central Plains Mini-Truckers, then it may become a reality for those of us in the western states. We still have a ways to go before we can talk about a clubhouse on our end of the country, but it would be a start.

My ideas and questions weren’t meant to stop the process. It was my way of expressing inspiration for creativity.

Please don’t let the project die. If the other members could evaluate the information and find a centralized location that would be beneficial for all, the project could become a reality in relatively little time. It could have some costly start-up fee’s that could be off-set by several members acting together. Another thought is sponsorship, such as modeling companies like Tamiya & Wedico, as well as the local hobby shops and even paint suppliers, and maybe even private individuals.

In the long-run, non-member participation could be the monetary infusion that could be what funds future events as well as club expansion. It is always a good idea to keep your options open when first starting a project such as this.

Even if the membership count isn’t what you’d hope for. Any number to start with would be good, and then as the club advances, membership would increase with time. In the prospective future, we could have an events building for our hobby that would be similar to the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany.

http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

As I’ve stated, this project shouldn’t die. Work with the other interested members to make this a reality. It would be a wonderful addition to the world… for us and the public at large. The masses are still unaware of the large r/c trucks and we can bring our passion to them. Let our voice be heard.

- RCT

Lil Giants
10-25-2012, 12:46 AM
I'd be in for St Louis.. annually & perhaps occassionally semi-annually. ;)

Catch a plane out of Great Falls, Mt (4hr drive), pack one model such as a loader or dump trk in a suitcase. It'd be good times! :cool:

Izzy
10-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Hmmmm ...... location location location - sounds liek one in the east, one near the plains and one more central ......

I really do think a clubhouse has to be blose to a fair number of core people. 6Hr is pretty good. St louis was 8 for me. it jsut meant that I had to bug off some time at work so I could car pool tje second half of the way there. Friends are priceless - they add a lot to this hobby.

The hardest part about this is finding someplace that is affordable. most of us don't have much land. And those that do might not have a building. If they have both are they realy willing to dedicate it for the enjoyment of others who might not show up very often?

But a space that is neutral (not owned by a member) presents itself nicely. But will it be too small eventually? ( I guess if it were outgrown then we would upgrade). Security is key for those who want to leave toys behind - those close enough to visit often...

I like th idea of tossing a cot and lighting the BBQ for dinner. if need be several can rent a room and take turns going to get a shower. I think we all know what kind of hours we can invest in just running around in circles.

Dirt vs Rubber - why not both? The rubber isn't that clean anyway. we just have seperate uses and seperate areas. Treat the rubber like it's coal - they truck it all over but they don't intend to make roads out of it. There are a fir number of our models that just don't do well in dirt.

Roads - they will develop. first in dirt, then packed and smoothed etc.

I can see us easily out growing the place by Ed's quickly.

Izzy
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Page 2

Kinda funny isn't it - that were looking for a building, when actually we really don't need a floor in it? LOL

Hey spudd - you say you have a building? perhaps we should all start planning a spring invasion on your place. If we plan now most of could get time off. WE come play even of your not there :)

Dairyland Trucker
10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
In any of the hobby organizations I have been involved in there has always been the issue of a permanent location for a group to get together and enjoy want they love. The one major issue we had in our train club was even with committed members we had issues with some having reasons why they couldn't pay one months or more after they had committed, or couldn't donate any of their time to do something with the layout for the club. I personally would have no problem committing to a clubhouse type of situation and giving my time to something like this. We would however have to have atleast a 5 member board of directors to handle details to go further with this idea and then keep all the other members in the loop as to what has been found and what the club is looking at doing.

This is a great idea and I think it would have to be atleast 5000 to 8000 square feet to make it worth while and that way we wouldn't be looking for a bigger place right away. Also when looking for a place we can look at something that has either an area in the back front or side were guys can use their dirt equipment outdoors weather permitting. A space with a wall partition could also seperate the dirt from the clean for some of us who are into our show trucks, and there could be door between so we could go from side to side like driving from one town to the next. This is just my .02 cents on this topic.

Supermario
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Many have discussed the size the clubhouse would have to be and of course the bigger the better but also bigger means more cost. I might be dreaming but the perfect clubhouse would be a place which has both a indoor and outdoor setup. The main focus and larger events held outside during the spring , summer and fall seasons and then a modest indoor layout for a few winter off season events and somewhere for us winter bound people to keep on truckin:)

Not trying to put the carriage in front of the horse, the first step is location but it is good to look forward and at all possibilities or potential. Just like what I said about renting trucks to non members and admission charges....that stuff is way down the road. First the club has to run as a self sustained members driven group. As it grows and gains stability, then there's the potential of other revenue and expansion.
In terms of security, I'm still dreaming maybe but, how about a fire resistant Sea container inside the building all locked up with the rigs inside. Even if someone got in the building, they would still have to contend with the Sea can and of course a security alarm would help.:)

Mario

Lil Giants
10-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Something I was thinking about.. the building across from Ed's shop was $1800/month, that's over $20 grand a yr in throw away money! Even with 5 core guys dedicated to it, that's over $4grand before utilities on top of that. And some of those guys are going to be travelling a few hrs to get there each time.. another $100+ in fuel each trip.

One could build a fashionable 20x30 pole building on his own property for less than $10 grand and have buddys over a couple times a yr. Several could build their layouts and you guys could travel around to visit each one throughout the yr. A bunch of of little satelite clubhouses! :D Maybe even score group deals on building materials.

Atleast you'll retain some equity in your hobby investment & have an all weather playground in your backyard to access whenever you wanted. And ten guys wouldn't be too crowded on a 1.5 day wkend get together.

Radio Control Trucker
10-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Something I was thinking about.. the building across from Ed's shop was $1800/month, that's over $20 grand a yr in throw away money! Even with 5 core guys dedicated to it, that's over $4grand before utilities on top of that. And some of those guys are going to be travelling a few hrs to get there each time.. another $100+ in fuel each trip.

One could build a fashionable 20x30 pole building on his own property for less than $10 grand and have buddys over a couple times a yr. Several could build their layouts and you guys could travel around to visit each one throughout the yr. A bunch of of little satelite clubhouses! :D Maybe even score group deals on building materials.

Atleast you'll retain some equity in your hobby investment & have an all weather playground in your backyard to access whenever you wanted. And ten guys wouldn't be too crowded on a 1.5 day wkend get together.

I agree with you, Joe. A multitude of satellite sites would be fuel efficient and allow for small get-togethers of ten or twelve people. A backyard bar-b-que just makes the weekend that much more enjoyable.

The only suggestion that I’d make is that instead of installing a 20x30 pole building, you should construct at least a 30x60 building to use as the clubhouse. I live on a half-acre in California and know that I could easily install a 30x60 building in my backyard (if I only had the money to invest into it).

I like the idea. Good thought Joe :):D:):D:)

- RCT

ihbuilder
10-29-2012, 09:41 AM
That's sort of what I'm planning in the future . I'm slowly out growing my basement shop , 1 more machine and I gota lose some weight :eek: . I have plans to build a bank barn/shop with the fab shop below and the whole upstairs dedicated to a layout with a closeable breezeway between it and my existing barn for the quarry . be enough room for a Dragline ;) I'm 1-2 years at least for that though :(

woodhog
10-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I will be willing to donate most of my shop towards a permanent layout,that is if I am able to hold on to it(financial issues). But if not i have enough beams to build my shop again anyway. I could put it somewhere on one of the farms my dad owns.The onlllllllly problem is we are way south out of the mix with all you guys.I said earlier in this post there is older run down houses everywhere .Just gut the areas that everyone wants to play in and then you will have bathroom,shower for those who want to camp out like was said earlier;)

Lil Giants
10-29-2012, 10:41 PM
The size of the building would be the choice of the individual, what size may fit on his property & what he chooses to afford.

I'd come visit you Chris, a new area of the continent to explore for the 1st time, although you might be stuck with me for longer than a wkend. :D

pigeonfarmboy
10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Good ideas being generated. I still would like to hear from more local guys that haven't chimed in as to what they would want/expect out of this "dreamland".

Outdoors for equipment? All those guys get to only use the facility for part of the year even though they still have to to pay year-round fees? Being a guy that could care less about the trucks, I can't agree with this idea. I'm all for running roads indoors for guys with show trucks. The summer/winter months are just too unbearable for me to be outdoors around here.

pigeonfarmboy
10-29-2012, 11:20 PM
I know a guy that put up a smallish 30x45 building and did 90% of the work. Still cost him $20,000 by the time it was lit and heated.

Guess the better question would be to go along with Joe's idea. Is there someone in a central location who owns land we could build on?

You local guys do realize you've got a Canadian in here that's more excited about this than you right??!?! ;)

Lil Giants
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
I mention pole building Nate, as in posts in the ground, tin strapped, dirt floor - no cement! Your friend @$20k includes cement floor, correct? But then, the wider you go - the more expensive it gets too. And X the $1000+ roll up door(s) too, don't need it, less drafts, cheaper to heat/cool. Tar paper or 3/8 plywood for non dirt roads for the show ponies...

I'm just throwing ideas out there to get ppl thinking of how to do this for the best bang for their buck! It's not like I'll ever be a regular... quite likely a visitor once every 3 to 5 yrs, providing it's an early harvest & chances of good driving weather. :)

fhhhstix
10-30-2012, 07:11 PM
I have been giving this a lot of thought but there is nothing around me that would really work that is affordable. I have a place to build a building but not the cash flow to do it. I definitely think it would be great to have a place to go and play and not have to worry about setting up and tearing down.

Travis

Supermario
10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Good ideas being generated. I still would like to hear from more local guys that haven't chimed in as to what they would want/expect out of this "dreamland".

Outdoors for equipment? All those guys get to only use the facility for part of the year even though they still have to to pay year-round fees? Being a guy that could care less about the trucks, I can't agree with this idea. I'm all for running roads indoors for guys with show trucks. The summer/winter months are just too unbearable for me to be outdoors around here.

Sorry Nate, what I was trying to say was, for the guys concerned about outgrowing the indoor space and needing lots of room. an outdoor space available in combination with indoor would help reduce indoor usage for a large portion of the year. If you only have a indoor space / high traffic issue 3-4 months of the year, that's pretty good .
Don't forget what winters are like around the Great Lakes and mid west... We could have plans to go truckin at the clubhouse but Mother Nature can say otherwise , we all know how quick snow storms can hit.:eek:
Just another point how location is so important. You can't rely on us 6-7 hrs away guys in the winter. I hate to say it but, the area that supports the most members wins and probably nowhere near my neck of the woods.:(

By the way, Plowjockey lives in Fort Wayne! :D

Ps. I own a shelf queen but have no problem running on gravel or dirt. I do it everytime I run in my yard. I'm sure there's lots more guys who would rather run outdoors weather permitting....

Mario

woodhog
10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
The size of the building would be the choice of the individual, what size may fit on his property & what he chooses to afford.

I'd come visit you Chris, a new area of the continent to explore for the 1st time, although you might be stuck with me for longer than a wkend. :D

Be glad to have ya joe,or anyone for that fact for as long as anybody want to stay.This is alot of good ideas keep them coming.Ithink there is not enough guys chiming in .It seems that for this to be affordable it will have to be a bigger group of guys than what is talking now.:)

doodlebug
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
I have been giving this a lot of thought but there is nothing around me that would really work that is affordable. I have a place to build a building but not the cash flow to do it. I definitely think it would be great to have a place to go and play and not have to worry about setting up and tearing down.

Travis

How about ugly and undescriptive? double wide shipping container's, welded together, and center wall's cut out. Just my low budget point of view!
A couple of High cube 53's, High 9' wall's, not the 8' version's. I don't know what they sell for in your neighborhood? But cheaper than a building?

Cheer's, Neil.

Radio Control Trucker
10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Before you invest in shipping containers I'd look into the cost of portable classrooms. A shipping container is just a cold metal box, while the portable classroom usually has heating and air-conditioner systems built on, interior lighting, and windows. A lockable doorway with the option of adding a dead-bolt or a hasp make this a simple way lock the unit. You can always add a security system of your choice. :):):cool::):)

- RCT

doodlebug
10-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Before you invest in shipping containers I'd look into the cost of portable classrooms. A shipping container is just a cold metal box, while the portable classroom usually has heating and air-conditioner systems built on, interior lighting, and windows. A lockable doorway with the option of adding a dead-bolt or a hasp make this a simple way lock the unit. You can always add a security system of your choice. :):):cool::):)

- RCT

LOL! I forgot about those, and I've moved a few of them. Good sugestion!

Cheer's, Neil.

Radio Control Trucker
11-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I was looking at the photos in the “Big Rigs and Construction at Country truck show” thread when my mother pointed out that the venue they were using is a school gymnasium. It has at least 5,000 sq. ft. of unobstructed space and central heating/air-conditioning. :eek::eek::eek:

She and I talked about the possibilities of using the local school gym. It would have ample parking, school security, ease of access, and plenty of in-door/out-door usable space for the trucks with built in bleachers for seating or shows. You would also have restrooms and water fountains available, not to mention that many of them have vending machines installed. :D:D

One bonus is the local school could develop an r/c club that could be mentored by your local club members. Simply by sponsoring the local r/c club you could possibly get free use of the facilities. :):)

I’m aware that it wouldn’t allow for a permanent building site for roads and structures, but it would make for an easy meeting location with little cost for start-up. If your structures were made to be moved with ease and the roads were made like the puzzle road system developed be the guys “Down Under” then this would seem to be the answer for the moment. :cool::cool:

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5006

Just something to think about. ;)

- RCT

Izzy
11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
If someone offers up their property and we all chip in to buy the building, then the land owners portion is the future taxes and general upkeep.
I know it sounds crude but an out house, portable generator for simple lights and a way to charge batteries is the bare bones. As we progress we build on. Driving a well in some areas is rather simple in order to have plumbing. And heck we have professionals amongst us that can teach us about all kinds of things.

The strength of the building is realitve to the size of the roof and the area it is placed. Deep south hardly gets snow therefore simple rafters and metal sheeting is sufficient. But up by Joe we'll need a good hardy fortress to keep the snow off our backs!

I wouldn't mind posts here and there to help break up the roof span.

As to how to afford such a thing.
we draw up the basis of the club then start paying dues. Set up a club meet to discuss the finer details and layout some hard design ideas for the space (at the future spot?). Collect enough dues over several months (winter?). Add in sweat equity for the first meet and we get posts in the ground and a partial roof up. A meet a couple month later and we get the rest of the roof.

Those that would rather buy materials than pay dues can (some can find really nice auctions to get good clean materials) just show up with the pre determined materials, no suprises:)

Izzy
11-01-2012, 07:17 AM
As for location - I like the idea of on someone's property best. The downer is that the individual must be willing to put up with us for the long term. But since it is on their property and the club only has part ownership (short term) we must repsect their peroperty - and conduct ourselves appropriately.

As for guests - I think if a club-member wants to bring a guest there needs to be some pre-determined idea of who can show up un-announced (wife's, girlfriends?, direct family) and who should be requested (budy of a budy of a budy) If we think we want to have our stuff stored there - I would hate for someone to bring a distant quaintence who talks a little too much to some shady characters and walla - our stuff is gone. Security systems really only work to keep the honest person at bay.

Lil Giants
11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
This is where I got my 36x78 barn in the 2001 & a couple of big cattle sheds too 36x98. The Goodon crew built the open front sheds in a day each & the barn took two days. They had a fork lift & hydraulic post hole digger for machinery and a couple of levels, hammers, cordless drills & a skill saw for hand tools. Very simple construction.

http://www.goodon.com/

Something for the future owner of the building to consider is how high do you want to go, what might you use the shed for in the future when it's no longer a rc clubhouse... the higher you go, the more costly to insulate, heat and cool.

Supermario
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
The thing about security. Shouldn't the clubhouse just be a permanent set up area and not a storage area for rigs? The cost of a system vs how many rigs are stored might be outrageous. What if only 5 guys are willing to store their stuff and the system cost 10 grand to install and monitor?
I'm just throwing up numbers, no idea the real cost of a security system that all would be comfortable with. My point is, a clubhouse is expensive enough to start and the luxury of storing equipment on site is really not a necessity or crucial to make it work right?
With no toys in the building, who's gonna steal rubber pellets, dirt and some plywood?:). Vandalism would be the main concern only.

I'm like RCT.... Chances are I won't be able to enjoy the clubhouse but am enjoying the discussion, the ideas and possibility of such a great idea coming to life:D
Heck, I'd even be willing to be a long distant supporter and donate to the cause! After all, we say this forum is like a big family..... Well sometimes a few family members may need a few bucks.:)

I'm a RC supporter and proud of it!! Lol:D:D

Mario

mazdaparts
11-02-2012, 12:45 AM
The quonset hut style of steel buildings are easy to assemble and are quite strong. Like these. http://www.americansteelspan.com/?refer=adwords&gclid=CJbThMu8r7MCFYQ7MgodP0QADQ
http://steelarchbuildings.com/catalog/?gclid=CKeum5m9r7MCFao7Mgodw30AVw

Izzy
11-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Neighbor down the road took his carport unit and spray insulated and added a wood burner. No reason to have a huge space if multiple smaller units could be linked.

The smaller add as you go keeps cost low but makes future use cruddy.

spudd
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
dang if i boot out the snowmobile club i'm renting to now we would have a perfect spot

just keep in mind the hidden costs involved in this.heat electricity.insurance and maintenance i have 4 out buildings to maintain and it isn't cheap to do. and the tax assessment just adds to it
i just priced a 40x60 pole barn.bare bones with sliding doors and it came in at $35000

also if you build one on someones land you have to think about ownership...who owns building in case of foreclosure,sale or pissing contest if there is a problem like divorce
i was thinking of selling one of my buildings to the snowmobile club with a 99year land lease and found there is tons of legal stuff to do if i was to do this.
best way is to build and sell the land owner the building back for $1 for legal escape...

just my thoughts from my experience's

Supermario
02-03-2013, 10:07 AM
This is a thread that should never collect dust ! :eek:
Is the conversation still alive? Or have the winter blahs kicked in? I totally understand but still hope that this idea can become real and work as a successful model for others to follow elsewhere :):D:cool:

Mario

MoRockN
02-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Here in Omaha back in the day when we used to set up fire hose in a target parking lot and stand in the heat for 8hrs in the middle of summer just to race Rc cars got us all thinking about something more permanent. So we came up with an Idea for Indoor race track, just for the on road stuff, dirt racing would still be done outside. Then winter came, Now what???? Well our friends and managers Tim and Alex of Hobby Town/ Hobby Plex did the most amazing thing ever. Indoor racing for all!!!!!! Tim is in charge of the Onroad stuff, Alex the Offroad and crawling stuff. $10 gets unlimited access to a whole day of playing, These guys are so nice and soo good at what they do, they actually change the track for the oval guys as well, Monday night, don't like football? grab an airplane or Heli and bring it in for indoor flying. Best part is, it's 3min from my house. I just load up my trucks and head for the dirt, Tim is also willing to cover up the carpet track and put a tarp down for me and the guys with big scale crawling trucks. We host some of the biggest races in the country, and they will be willing to host a trucking/construction event for sure.
Here is a view of what I'm talking about
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/hobbytown3_zpse956eb80.jpg
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/hobbytown_zpsbada2cee.jpg
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/hobbytown1_zps7bb0ae3a.jpg
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/Hobbytown2_zps32224099.jpg

Ok so I hope you guys like the idea. It is Located in Omaha Nebraska and right on the freeway, plenty of hotels about a 1/2 mile from it. If you think you want to give it a shot, I can talk to them about it.

Ayoub

Lil Giants
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Phew!!! that's quite the building Ayoub. What was it originally built for?

I just priced a Good-On 30x60x12'6 wood frame-tin strapped building, 12' roll up, 2 walk ins & 7 slider windows to build this summer for $30 500... add on spray insulation, electrical, cement for 30x40, heat, 2 partion walls, ect.. it'll be another 30+ before it's done. :( I'm looking forward to a much better workshop for the next 30yrs. :)

MoRockN
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Phew!!! that's quite the building Ayoub. What was it originally built for?

I just priced a Good-On 30x60x12'6 wood frame-tin strapped building, 12' roll up, 2 walk ins & 7 slider windows to build this summer for $30 500... add on spray insulation, electrical, cement for 30x40, heat, 2 partion walls, ect.. it'll be another 30+ before it's done. :( I'm looking forward to a much better workshop for the next 30yrs. :)
It was all built to enclose RC racing. here are a few more to show how it used to be
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/Hobby-Town-Track_zps4c702ba9.jpg
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/Hobby-Plex-grooved_zps3566b485.jpg

Here is the retail and on road track building. they're side by side

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/Morockn1/hobbytown_zpsc772f214.jpg

It cost them almose $650k for the whole thing. Ok, gotta run down there to pick up some batteries. Take care:D

woodhog
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
That is definitely cool:cool:But at that much money how will they ever recoup their money? Is there that much hobby business out there?

MoRockN
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes, the picture with all the people is just a typical weekend crowd, Oval on Saturday, onroad Sunday and Wednesday. Dirt on Tuesday and Friday night, flying on Monday, crawling on Thursday.
Actual organized races are $15 per car, $10 for additional cars. Usually we run between 2-3 classes a person. So about $35 a person. You brake parts when racing so you have to buy new ones, on average they get about 70-100 people to race and shop from all over the Midwest as it is the largest indoor facility in the US. So yes they make really good money.

Finster
02-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Wow! That's an awesome play space. I wish there was something like that near me.

Izzy
02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Sorry to say but your typical weekend activity is close or more than the Indy event. About 30 people.
So if there is 30 people at 15 is 450 therefore the 650k is about 120 years not including utilities or property taxes - maybe another 20 years?

Izzy

Izzy
02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
All razzing aside - your fortunate to have such a nice place so near.