PDA

View Full Version : D8R +463 in 1/5,6

Pages : [1] 2

D8R
09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi, starting here with some pics on my models as far as I´m today.
Build mostly during winter season, have other old trucks and machinery to take care of during summer.
As seen on second pic, I try to make some parts in heavy paper to get dimension right before doing it in metal. This is the lower oil tank (the original fuel tank will also be used for hydraulic oil). Do need as much oil as possible since machine is hydrostatic driven.

Dan

JAMMER
09-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Very nice D 8R and pan. It is all run on hydraulics? That is quiet an idea and it looks good so far. Ed:eek:

ihbuilder
09-09-2010, 04:06 PM
:eek: now thats a toy and a half :cool:

Lil Giants
09-09-2010, 04:11 PM
HOLY COW!!! that's freaking awesome in size!!!

I'd luv to hear that dozer scream with power while under full load... anything on youtube yet?

Have you weighed the dozer or scraper yet?

9W Monighan
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Welcome! Can we see some more photos? Where are you located?

pugs
09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Now thats more to my liking! Very nice work

dirtpusher9
09-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Glad you found us Dan, you will like this site and like I said before these guys will love your work.

Did you ever find any valves that work for you? Have you made any more progress?

td9clyde
09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
awsomely big!!!! thats cool will it be r/c or rideable?? lol very nice work

D8R
09-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys, the weight now is 410lbs on D8 (that´s dry, just oil will add another 30lbs. The 463 is about 230lbs and designed for a load of +220lbs.

The D8 will have (if I have calculated right) a pull of 620lbs so if should be possible to do the same work as the big one.
Still has some 100hours beforeit can be started, needs inside oiltank, connections, servo installation, muffler...........

My location is just south of Stockholm, Sweden. i´m lucky because a friend has a set up of D8R (series2) with a hydraulic converted 463.
I have been at machine show in Brownsville 2 times, seen your fantastic work, unfortunatly have not got the possibility to meet you, if I make it a 3 rd time I will sit by the model until we meet.

The hydraulic system and it´s components are set now, got some fine small quick disconectors from Rectus, they have a dia of 10mm (3/8") and they are closing both ways.

The model will be radio control, now looking at Futaba 7 channel or a Robbe 16 channel.
From earlier discussion with you Joe, since I have 2valves that supplies the 2 hydraulic motors, I need 2 servos that should work together to recreate the function on the real one. R/C controlled airplanes uses sometime a similar mix on steering and height control. The valve used is from HAWE and is compensated so needs very little force to move valve (in fact I will go on midi servos).

Have tried to upload pic with 640x480 size, (says it should be 280 in height, don´t know that format) but it only comes as thumbnails, any hint how to get them as big as other pictures on other threads??

Will post progress, but right now only playing with the 1:1 equipment ,see thread "americans in sweden".

Have a nice weekend (wishes I was together with my other swedish friends visiting the HCEA convention this weekend).

Dan

9W Monighan
09-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Dan, Too bad you came all the way to the USA and didn't find me. The 08' show had the model there and my wife was working next to it and she told me alot of people asked about it but I was busy working my 1:1 Cats.
By any chance are you Gilbert's friend? or alias Quad?
20yrs ago I started to build a D6H but big enough for my kid to ride on but never finished it because I didn't have enough money to buy the diesel engine I wanted for it.
I think for a radio,get a Specktrum DX7. I've been told that these function flawlessly. In fact I just bought one on ebay today. When I was using my 72Mhz radio at the show last month,I had alot of interference due to the steel super structure and on occasion somebody's cell phone while standing next to me.
Steve

modelman
09-10-2010, 04:42 PM
D8R-very impressive work! On the pictures, if you are using a host site be sure the pics are 640x480 then just paste the img code directly onto your message and the pictures should be there.

rc_farmer
09-10-2010, 06:29 PM
That is a very nice build you have going on there. What size motor is that you are using? Please more pic!!

mog
09-11-2010, 11:06 AM
wow that is a really nice modle what is the size of engine in it. looks like your one good boy in the shop to have made all that.

Stuff
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
wow! very huge!

D8R
09-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the comments,
Steve, googled on the DX7, do you or any else know how the reciver will work when placed inside a metal box. Did plan to have battery and recivers inside the left box on machine. Don´t want to place it inside cab, this should look just like the real one. Another way is to build the box in styrene, but will it work with the antennas still inside the box?
Company selling Spektrum here localy says it has to be a "SPM2712E" code on box to legal? Buying here in sweden it cost $400 without servos, that a little higher than ebay but with ebay I have to pay freight, sales tax to get in to sweden.

Trying a bigger pic on the engine installation (Honda GX100, 2,5hp)

well it doesn´t work with my pic, had no problem with posting them (same size as here) on HEF and the program for both forums look the same. I have all my pics on my computer, not on any other source and I don´t like thumbnails, you should see the pic in right size direct! Hope someone can give answer to this or should question be adressed to moderator?

I will gladely post more pics on the models if I don´t have problem posting them, any special detail or wiew wanted, just put in a message.

Dan

dirtpusher9
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
If you go with the 2.4 Ghz you won't have any problem being surrounded by metal. I isolated my antennas with a piece of rubber and made sure the bare tips can't touch anything and it has worked fine. Just make sure you follow the instruction that comes with the rx and it will be fine.

I load my pics into Photobucket and then copy and paste them here, it's a lot easyier. That attachment garbage didn't work for me on HEF.

9W Monighan
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
SmallHaul Scott would have the answer for the radio receiver. He did tell me one time that the receiver could be hidden deep inside of my dragline frame. Not sure how legal anything is. All I know we're not using the radio at some aircraft meet.:D

D8R
09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for quick responce, guess I can´t use where to place reciever for an excuse to not continue the build, ha ha.
I will try the Photobucket way tomorrow, still amazed that posting pic in forum should be so hard, the forums is all about sharing expirence (text and pics)!

pugs
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Very nice pics, way cool model

Lil Giants
09-14-2010, 01:46 AM
For the forum to provide photo hosting adds to the monthly cost of bandwidth useage & storage on the host server, there's only so much bandwidth/storage allowable at a certain $rate... the forums are free to use... If you click pic twice, then the original size can be seen.

Set up a free photobucket account, it's better for everyone involved. ;)

Did you ever see "dozernerd" on youtube? He had like a gas engine D11 in about 1/6th scale... I tried to get him to join the forums a few yrs ago, but he wasn't interested. I see he has since deleted his YT account. He was from the Pacific northwest USA.

D8R
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Now I have got a photobucket account running so guess I can share more photos.
During last week I discovered a problem with the ripper attachment. When making the drawing for ripper, I took mesurments from a D8N but the upper part like fuel- oiltank and cab is from a D8R. Main difference between those models is that R-model has larger fuel tank and a new design on ripper attachment.
With my mix, upper cylinders hits the tank when ripper is up.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0070.jpg

So lessen learn: never mix between different 1:1 machines.
I will make new drawing on brackets with new position for upper cylinders. At same time lower part will be redesiged to the clever solution of coupling my friend has. This will make it possible to have most of the drawbar mounted. In real live it´s foldable when not in use.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0048.jpg

Yes, I have had some contact with "dozernerd" and the videos was nice, don´t know why they have been removed. Sorry because he has a good looking model that´s working well. He did use a 6hp petrol engine with generator and electric drive (maybee Cat got the idee to D7E from this model?)

D8R
09-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Did build a carrier today to transport the D8 out of the house (no, will not be able to run it out, have wooden floor that gets bad). My workshop is located in ground floor but have a 2 step outside so needs a ramp to!
It is designed to take everything except front blade and arms.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0061.jpg

pugs
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Looks great! Just for size reference, how big are the "tiles" on your floor??

D8R
09-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks, they are 15x15" and machine weight is about 320lbs as hanging.

modelman
09-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Looking good! Is it ready to go? If so could you show us a video?

tc1cat
09-26-2010, 05:04 PM
WOW!!! Now that is a dozer!! Need to make a video of it running around so all can hear it running.

dirtpusher9
09-26-2010, 05:17 PM
That is a cool device for moving it around, Dan.

td9clyde
09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Your rails for your tracks are cool did you machine those out or did you buy a small set for something else?

JAMMER
09-27-2010, 08:54 AM
This is another great build can't wait to see this push some dirt it certainly isn't lacking for weight. Well let me see if I sell the excavator and the dozer and the loader I could get me a little OC3 Oliver to play with in the back yard I wonder if thew manager of the complex will mind. Ed:eek:

rc_farmer
09-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Holy construction 'Cat' lover Batman.........

D8R
09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys for the responce!
No it´s not ready yet, have a lot of work to do before it can be started but will post a video as soon it´s running.
The tracks was designed in CAD to try to find a simple solution that looks like the real ones. The problem is that all commercial available chains has drive pin centered but a CAT chain has it a little offset. Well it´s a small detail but I decided that it was important for me at that time, today I have had gone a easier way.
Guess that finding suitable chain/tracks are as hard as finding tyres that can be used. To my 463 I found wheels with almost right dimension but of course with wrong pattern (I can live with that).
The parts are laser cut in 3-4-5mm steel, all parts mounted in a holder to be spotwelded and then the assembly goes inte a own to be brazed together (thats the color you can see between parts).
Each assembly is connected with a roller and 2 insex screws (next part is swiveling aroud the screw head. There will be some wearing on the parts but I think it will last for me (or I have to make new parts).
They still misses the 4 screws that should hold the plate, will be added later, but they have no function, only for the look.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/delaribandet.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/bandplattacad.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/bandochrullar.jpg

Brian in PA
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow that is sweet!

Brian

pugs
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
They look great!

9W Monighan
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Very nice. I like the way you mortised the vertical piece onto the grouser plates. That definitely saved you hours of machine time. I guess you TIG welded them on and put a small tack on the ends and ground it down. What kind of steel is that? It looks like stainless:confused:

dozer
09-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Heres an idea for your tracks. They dont look scale but they would work. Use attachment chain then rivet the treads to it.

JAMMER
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Those cats and rollers look great your doing a wonderful job keep it up when you get that old girl done you ought to be able to push some dirt for sure. Ed :cool:

td9clyde
09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
that is cool thank you for lettin us know how you did it .....i don't have the cad programs so i do things the hard way lol

chaseracer
09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
amazing craftsmanship. simply awesome I can't wait to see this dozer redo someones driveway.

Tamiya Cowboy
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Truly Amazing work you have done on this build. I have seen and ran Joes dozer and that thing is big at 100 pounds but 320!! Holy cow that is outstanding dozer you have built..

Hammer Down Trucker
10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
That is awesome is that engine a mower engine?

D8R
10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for comments,
they are made of normal steel, don´t know quality but not stainless. A couple of mig tacks and then soldered in owen.
Sorry Dozer, couldn´t find the attachment.
320lbs, that´s now, when finished I think more of 430-450lbs complete with ripper and blade. It´s not only for good with this weight, it´s becoming harder to move the machine (remember, I can´t drive out from work shop).
The engine is a Honda 2,5hp 4-cycle industrial engine with built in reduction of 1:2. This gives a output shaft speed of 1500rpm at max torque. With hydraulic pumps it´s perfect with the 1500. Here shown without muffler, will build one as big as possible when all other stuffs is inside the model. A bigger muffler will give a more prototypical sound (I hope).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0402.jpg

Was at a hobby show today at Volvo museeum and they had a very large L220 model. I thing my 463 is big but it could almost fit inside the bucket, is there a limit to call it a model?? Remember seeing the model before, here´s a link to the builder, impressing!
http://www.wessels-modellbau.de/Gallerie_4/gallerie_4.html
Dan

9W Monighan
10-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I know exactly what you mean by moving your model. I have to walk mine or have 2-3 people to help lift. I leave mine on a tool cart in the shop.

pugs
10-02-2010, 03:38 PM
It just keeps looking better and better, can't wait to see what it looks like finished with paint on it.

W900snowman
10-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Great looking machine, can't wait to see it up and running.

jffhrvstr
10-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Your dozer is amazing!! When do we get a vid of it running?

BigZracingRC
10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
holy crap! thats the biggest dozer ive ever seen! impressive work!

D8R
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Have been traveling and working to much lately, but did get some progress done last couple of days.
Worked on the door locking/handle units, goal was to get those working and they will.
Here´s the base when milled from stock of brass. More pics when installed on doors.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0115.jpg

Did get the parts for the front doors on hood laser cut in steel, have started to assemble all parts (did order to many to have some spares).
The covers for hub reduction was also cut out togheter with new doors for cab. The first doors was made to thin, the new was cut in 1mm steel.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0109.jpg

During the travel we visited the Faszination Modellbau show in southern Germany, don´t know if there´s a place to show pics on Forum.
I give you a couple here and will come back with more.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0259.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0230.jpg

Dan

D8R
11-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Front doors soldered togheter. Will do hinges and details next.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0117.jpg

SmallHaul
11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Amazing build!

Using a 4-stroke gas engine is interesting.

Great choice of motors too. A quick search on youtube shows how much power they have and how nice they sound.

D8R
11-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks, this engine will run with max 3000rpm (has a 1:2 reduction built in on out going axle) and with a bigger muffler (as big as possible) the sound should be as good as possible.

carp
11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
very nice build! your questions regarding the dx7, a specktrum radio will have a higher mw output if you get it from usa, and that may make it illegal in your country, im not entirely sure on the ratings in sweden but in the uk the radios from usa wont be legal to use.

Since your from the EU check out fast-lad should be no import tax http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=27_30_316&sort=1a&page=1

carp
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
also the dealer may be talking about the CE mark, i think most of this is to do with aircraft say you have a crash and your radio isnt CE marked then you could get into trouble.

mazdaparts
11-13-2010, 01:46 AM
WOW, this dozer is awesome. I'm very impressed.

D8R
11-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks, did have a good weekend got the front doors installed. They are possible to open, need this to start the engine. Some magnetic holder will keep doors closed while running.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0126.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0120.jpg

Door handles made too, have a working (spring loaded) plunge on inside to keep doors closed.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0134.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0138.jpg

About radio, did see the Multiplex range while visiting the show in Germany. They have a feed back system that´s interesting, you can have engine speed and more important in my case, a signal showing hydraulic oil temperature on control unit. An alarm can be set on a preset value. This is a big advantage, as you know, my model will have a hydrostatic drive and high oil temperature can limit the running time.

pugs
11-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Amazing looking work

SmallHaul
11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
So :cool: :D

td9clyde
11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
This is an awsome build and i am watchin it closely nice work

JAMMER
11-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Your doing a very nice job there with a lot of detail. Like you said were does it stop with size with the money that is in some of these models you could have bought a for real one. Ed

Lil Giants
11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
A real one doesn't fit inside your house where it's warm & cozy to tinker with them. ;)

dirtpusher9
11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Dan, the grill and door handles look great. I built my grill doors to open too but not sure why, there is no reason to open them. One thing about your build is it easyier to make parts for I bet.

D8R
12-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Have been working with internal hydraulic tank, couldn´t get it right done so had to start all over, will post later when finished.
But the ROPS was done to satisfaction, here´s pics when sanded. The piping is breater lines for fuel and hydraulic tank, the do a loop inside ROPS and back.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0157.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0156.jpg

Espeefan
12-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I somehow overlooked this build, never having seen it before, but I just got done reading everything in your thread and this is another incredible build. The hydrostatic drive is very interesting. As big as your model now is, I think that is a interesting solution to driving the tracks. I'm really interested to see the performance of the model with the hydro motors. Everything about this build is huge! I think it's no longer a model but a functional mini-dozer!

D8R
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Finaly got the lower hydraulic tank made (did do the copper version 3 times and steel one time). This is made exactly to available space, still made as big as possible (more oil= lower temperature).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0248.jpg

As you can see I´m a beginner in soldering (as everything else), there´s a little to much solder here and there but main focus was to get it tight. The tank is inside the frame and can not be seen from outside if starting leaking.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0247.jpg

The suction hoses is not connected to pump neither is return hoses to outside tank and hose between the both tanks. Total volume will be 2,3 gallon. This is the main drawback of an hydraulic system, you need a lot of oil to keep temerature as low as possible (unless you have space for a cooling fan). But as you can see there´s not much space left, still engine, servos, muffler, fuellines....... missing.
I will most likely go for a Multiplex radio with feed back system, this will make it possible to see hydraulic temperature in radio control and have a warning level set.
To Espeefan and others, from my expirence now, this is the smallest possible size to use a hydraulic system. I think my D8R is among the biggest modeldozers right now, Dozernerd had an electrical driven D11 in 1:8 I think that´s equal or maybee a little bigger, but it was gasoline-electrical drive line.
Looking forward to the big day starting up but that´s still month´s away.
Within a couple of weeks the model will be dismantled and have frame sandblasted and painted.
Dan

9W Monighan
01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Really outstanding:eek: I wonder if you could circulate the oil through the push arms and blade. Just another line to run while plumbing the tilt cylinder. On my son's little D1 it has a power steering pump with the tiny tank. I used a big filter for added capacity. It never gets as hot as your machine will though because I don't have hydro-drive.

pugs
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Everytime I see this thread I smile. Very nice work!

kerst
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow, looks great and powerful!

Kerst

Lil Giants
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I just read thru your entire thread to find out what volume hydraulic pump you're using, I didn't see it listed. :confused:

So you built four tanks to get it right or you are using all four tanks? Is the steel tank for petrol & copper for oil? Copper dissipate heat better than steel?

Do you think it'd be possible to mount a small electrical fan on each side of engine hood to draw in outside air and force the heat out the front with the exhaust gases?

D8R
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for comments,
Have not thinking about the arms and blade, Steve, but that had been an needed addition. But they are already built, i´m not shure that they are tight, don´t feels like redoing them.

To the specification, Joe and all others, here´s it:

Model; Caterpillar D8R (series II)-95
Scale; 1:5,6
Length; 1,7m (67in)
Width; 0,74m (29in)
Height; 0,65m (26in)
Weight ready; ~230kg (500lbs)
Engine; Honda GX100 4-stroke, with 1:2 reduction
Muffler built to available space
Tank; 5+4L (2,3 gal) hydraulic oil, 1,5L (0,4gal) gasoline
Hydraulic pump; Casapa 6L/min double pump (shortest available)
Valves HAWE;
2pcs DL2 drive
4pcs DL1 working hydr
Hydraulic motor; EPMMS40CP
Hydraulic cyl; home made
Total parts;ca 2000pcs, tracks ca 850pcs

here´s a schematic view of the hydraulic system
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/20110105125001_00001.jpg

About the tanks, only one to use, the copper one was 3 times rebuilt to get it tight and steel one got a little wrong angle on connections to pumps.
There will not be any place for fan, Honda engine fills rest of space. But this engine has a built in fan to cool engine, the hor air will pass out thru holes in hood (real one does it the reverse way I think). As can be seen below it´s tight fit with this engine, had to rebuild carburater/airfilter. Have been thinking on downsizing engine to GX50 but that engine is almost as big as this one, older is better??
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0349.jpg
Dan

D8R
01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Did get the last connection done to fuel tank (orig. hydr tank) and for upper oil tank (normaly fuel tank) incl fuel caps. Why swapping the tanks? Need all volume to oil system, the smaller one will do for Honda engine.
Next for hydr system is to get all connections on adapter to filter glued or welded togheter. Still missing is the 2 front blade cylinders, have the tube but lacking rods. then it should be done, I hope.
Tubing from fuel caps is breating lines that will be connected to lines inside ROPS.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0264.jpg

The battery box was redone, now sliding forward with hidden box that will have reciever and battery. Brackets between ROPS and Cab foundation added.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0260.jpg

SmallHaul
01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Nice metal work. It is looking really good.

dirtpusher9
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Dan, it looks like your getting close. This thing should be a beast. I hope you keep the 463 intact but the 20 would be really cool too.

td9clyde
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
awsome job on your dozer i like the size and how you have everything in it and very nice metal work can't wait to see a video and paint

RCLogger
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Your skills are amazing Dan, keep us posted on all your progress. You mentioned in the past that you were going to post more photo's of Faszination Modellbau. Did your really enjoy the show ?

greg

D8R
01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for comments. Greg, didn´t know if it was of interest with more pics, but here is some more. Yes it was a very nice show, very many models of all kinds with seperated areas for each scale. A lot of producers, big and small, was there to!
This picture from on one of trucking areas in one of 6 same size halls.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0261.jpg
A nice big grader
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0251.jpg
Did like the farming area, had all type of equipment
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0242.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0239.jpg
Scratch built models of all kinds
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0215.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0205.jpg
Scale Art and their models are something special, look at that frame, wow
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0203.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0202.jpg
New range of MAN models, all different chassis, 2-3-4 axles, trucks-tractors
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0200.jpg
Lot of part suppliers
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0199.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0184.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0181.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0179.jpg
and of course latest models like Liebherr loader and digger
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0185.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0258.jpg
this one controlled from a real scale 1:1 seat with real controls
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0193.jpg
This truck has an RC controlled crane, he built a prefab house out of concrete parts
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0171.jpg
Did do other things during this vacation, like a ride on RhB narrow gauge from Chur to Arosa with spectacular scenery (like Durango Silverton).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0304.jpg
Have a couple more pics but not uploaded to phototbucket yet,
Dan

Iron Art
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow! Boy there is a lot of talent on display at that show, thanks for posting the pictures. Fred

Lil Giants
01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Do you have more pictures yet? :)

Is the O&K grader 8th scale?

Someday I hope to attend one of your country's notorious rc heavy commercial exhibition shows. :cool:

You going to run your exhaust thru the stack atop the hood?

I was refering to the slim electrical fans like what's in a computer, I wouldn't think it need to be overly big, just enough to suck/blow the heat & keep the air moving within the model.

RCLogger
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
The grader is 1/8 Joe You could use one in the Pit ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Uw1NaacQk&feature=related

greg

D8R
01-11-2011, 04:17 PM
As Greg already said, it´s a 1/8 scale, all models in this section was same scale. The 1/14 had seperate section.

You should try visiting one of the Fasination shows, have only been at one but are already planning going back this year. Think there was around 40000 visitors during 4 days open. And you can bring wife with, there´s a lot to be seen around Fredrichshafen, close to the alps, Boden see and some very nice senery.

yes, the exhaust will be coming thru stack, will build a muffler adapted to available space, probably built quite heave to absorb some noice, will test with different solutions to get a sound as proto as possible, remember that engine is a 4-cycle and will never run higher than 3000rpm (max torque). Stack has a movable cap, hope that it can flapping like original one.

Now to pics:
This Freightliner had a RC Subaro coming out of trailer when loading platform was lowered
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0267.jpg
A Scania 10x4 heavy hauler
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0254.jpg
Not so common model , Åkerman H14, givs some vibs from past when working extra at that factory
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0234.jpg
CAT dumper (on of severeral) being loaded by the 988
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0228.jpg
My self shopping around for some more much needed tools!!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0211.jpg
The big Komatso had breaker attachment and did destroyed the building
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0210.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0208.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0207.jpg
Another image from Scale Arts booth, this time their working Meiller 3 way tipper model
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0201.jpg
One more from chair controlled model, used for precision work, putting different parts togheter
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0196.jpg
Fantastic small hydro motors for tracks, think Damitz models
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0195-1.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0194-1.jpg
Smallest construction model
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0189.jpg
Overview
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0188.jpg
Nice Volvo A40D model, don´t remember manufactor
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0174.jpg
A one of a kind Liebherr dozer in 1/8
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0172.jpg
And as said nice surroundings, here castel Neuswanstein that was used by Disney as proto for Snowwhites castle
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0156-1.jpg

Next on model will be during weekend when I got opertunity to take photos and messurments of interior of a 1:1 D8R. Hope this will be last trip for documentation. New parts for ripper attachment incl scraper drawbar will be welded to.
Dan

JAMMER
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Dan nice photo thanks for taking them and them with us. O and by the way the D8 looks great. Ed;)

D8R
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks Ed,
a little correction:
Neuschwanstein is the correct spelling and it was Sleeping beauty´s castle!
Dan

Snochaser
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Nice. Great descriptions also. I like the Volvo ADT and the PC600 and the..........well I like em' all.

Heavy Metal
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Awesome build on the D8 Dan. Looking forward to more. And thanks for sharing photos from the show. Glad you corrected yourself on the Snow White/Sleeping Beauty thing...we were totally going to call you out on that. :rolleyes:

Joe

D8R
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Weekend update.
Did get new mountings for ripper done, old ones was D8N design making upper cylinder collide with tank.
Here´s one old and one new. The new ones got also a 3´rd arm to make it possible to have the drawbar for scraper mounted all time.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0625.jpg

Here´s what it should look like with the drawbar. With hitch is removed, the drawbar *** will be locked to ripper. The original has same (see pic in post 21, page 2) and use only hydraulic valves to shut of lifting cylinders. I don´t know if that will work for me or if I have to make some sort of holder for ripper ***.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0757.jpg

Made a trip today to take photos (another 120) and messurment of interior of the real one. Think I have all that needed to make this now.

Dan

tracksntreadslou
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Dan ...This is a very impressive build ..when finished im sure It will be capable of doing landscape work for $$$ You may have to build an excavator to do the trench work though ..
You shouldnt have any problems with the valves holding ripper cyclinders up..As long as you dont have radio gliching ...Cheers Lou

Kid@heart
01-15-2011, 03:53 PM
That is an amazing build. Thanks for the pics from the shows. We don't get much of that over here. Makes me want to go back to germany again!

D8R
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for comments,
Lou, I will have disconnects to ripper cylinders, have Rectus dubble shut off on the rear so hopefully it will hold tight. (also on front to tilt cyl on blade, have to remove blade to get machine inside house).
Yes, it was a nice show, guess you can spend 2 days there next time to cover all.

D8R
01-15-2011, 05:06 PM
You can see where connectors will be in pics above, the 4 bolts on rear transmission cover will be replaced with female connects and ripper/scraper will have seperate male connectors.

D8R
01-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Some small progress with cab detailing this weekend. couldn´t get energy to start with the interior, hope to start this week.
The door stop has a looking arm (spring loaded), thought this was a nice sunday project. Here´s what it looks like in real
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0646.jpg

The model version has also a spring loaded arm (of course), did not have bolts in right dimension so test fitted with magnets. All metal parts was brazed togheter, finaly getting this metod working.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0767.jpg

Where to stop?
Well sometimes I think it´s to much detail work, but when it comes to details that has some functional in real and for the model it´s ok. I will not make wipers working, at least not until everything else is ready on machine.

have a nice sunday evening.
Dan

9W Monighan
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
You may need wipers for the "IN CAB" video in a rain storm.:D

Everything is looking real nice Dan,I like those new brackets on the ripper That undercarriage is just unbelievable:eek:

Oh yea, What's this about your ripper ripping ***?:D:D:D:D

D8R
01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Steve, of course I need working wipers, didn´t think of sitting inside house running the model remote with video cameras when it´s raining :o
And sorry about that ripper talking, should be "assembly", nothing else:rolleyes:

Did not get the servo holders this week so there will not be final fitting of valves before break down of machine. Will do yokes for front cylinders and end pieces to those cylinders instead.

Will use the RC program possibilities of v-tail to simulate the one stick control of forward-reverse and left-right steering. The original has differential steering, that´s an extra hydraulic motor on driveline making it possible to steer without running forward or reverse. This should be duplicated into the model with this v-tail function, is there anyone that has tested this????
(have not been working with RC the last 25 years)
Dan

Espeefan
01-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Wow. Great show pictures! That must really be something to see. I don't know how anyone can go to a show like that and not end up spending their life savings, with such amazing models and products available!

When your D8R is finished, it's definitely going to be worthy of a show like that. I love that you are taking the time for all the details. Details make all the difference.

D8R
01-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Thanks SP, I do like details to, but since the model should be a working model there some that has to be omitted.
Yes that show was special, trucking in 1-14,5 and 1-8 is realy big in middle Europe and Germany in special. There was also a lot of vendors for metal (and wood) machinery, thanks to we where flying down there there was a limitation what could be bought (good and bad). Maybee do it with car next time but it is about 1000 miles trip one way!
Dan

SmallHaul
01-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Very cool miniature door stop assembly! Nice work.

JAMMER
01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
This is another excellent build. the attention to detail is far beyond my ability. Ed

Dreamweaver
01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Dan there is nothing wrong with details. The more you can pull off the better I say.

This thing is looking real good.

-Mike

D8R
01-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for comments, Guess I can contine add details, you guys like that :D:D
got some time free this weekend, made the yoke and holder for front cylinders. The holder turned out to be a little nightmare to do, they are supposed to be quite thin, did figure out to make a ring with an axle inside. Those to components was supposed to be brazed together and :mad::mad::mad: Problem again with brazing, don´t know what but ended up working a lot before I finaly got them done. The ring is only 2mm thick and the remaning parts from axle (when center part is milled away) will take all force from cylinders, that´s why I needed to have them brazed.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0029.jpg

Test mounted with cylinder tubes, tape only to hold tube in place.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0030.jpg

Have a nice sunday!
Dan

td9clyde
01-30-2011, 11:44 AM
nice work your model is awsome and very neat and big lol i like it alot keep up the great work

Izzy
01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Wow - great model and beautiful detail - thanks so much for the show pics as well - great to see - I have yet to see anything that compares here in the US. And the local scenerie was great too - that's one outstanding Castle...

9W Monighan
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Dan, I was just up at Bob's shop this morning. You know the guy with the white hat and Thew steam shovel, I was telling him about your Dozer project. He has a project going on now restoring a early 20's Insley half swing backhoe. It sort of resembles his Byer's Bearcat at our show grounds. That machine would make a nice model project for somebody.

dirtpusher9
02-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Dan you are the man, on the detail thing. I made the door latches but didn't make them work, course my doors don't open neither. Nice work, won't be long now.

D8R
02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for comments, sorry guys, you have to wait some time before machine can run. Sometimes when looking at the model I think it looks almost done but I know there´s still some major parts to do before first test run. I have been building this for last 8 years and to be honest, speed is higher now (thanks to the forums).
Yes Steve, I have met Bob 2 times when visiting the show, would love to go back there in august, always a lot of nice machinery and of course to see the 9W in action. As said before, have some thoughts about a drag line as next model, we´ll see.

Details, details
Well, it was not planned but I like it, added some more today, especially happy with the anti-skid (?) pattern. This part was laser cut to see if it was possible to do with acceptable result. I think it did so now I have to draw all the rest of those plates. The big ones just out side enginer doors have 501 holes each!! This could never be duplicated any other way than with laser. Tried to make the protective mesh below this plate with piano-wire (sorry, don´t know if this is the right word) and braze the parts together but it didn´t work. Have to do them in some other softer material.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0026.jpg
Have made all covers for lamps (total 8). Lamps will be made from plexi with 10mm LED. Should be nice to have the lamps CNC cut to original shape, have made drawing but looking for someone to mill them. Some bolts will be exchanged to right look when I get them.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0029-1.jpg
Together with some of the detail parts I finaly got the servo holders. Here the plate that will hold all servos for blade and ripper/scraper control. If will be bended, pics will come when mounted.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0036.jpg
The valves for tracks will be covered by interior in cab. Here´s first test mount.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0038.jpg
After all servos has been test mounted I will break down model to sand blast chassis and some other parts.
I´m not happy the way the cab roof was done, the original has a slight curve between side and roof. Cab was sandblasted today to braze new corners inside cab and then I will sand down outside to get correct profile.
From now I will stop adding details, (will add a nice details tomorrow but it is not assebled yet), need to make all bigger parts finished first.

When I made the track frames I did not think twice. The tubing that will keep tracks tighten was made from normal steel. That will not work when I start running the model, there will be rust and the gaskets will be destroyed. Now I´m looking for a stainless tubing to replace the old one.
Dan

pugs
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Looking great!

Could you just get your steel tubes chrome plated?

Tamiya Cowboy
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Dan your craftsmanship is outstanding all the detail is so great to see and to see the detail functional is amazing! I have said it before but you are a craftsman in every since of the word.. Cant wait to see more.

rc_farmer
02-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Dan, this is one great model. Had to catch up on all the updates. Also, the pics of the show was fantastic!

D8R
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
RC farmer,cowboy, Pugs and all other, thanks!
About the tubing, have had thoughts about crome plate it before, but couldn´t remember how I put those parts together. When you mentioned it I had to look into if it could be possible. Did take the machine apart tonight (will go sandblasting this week) and could see that there´s a possibility to break the tubing from front wheel assembly. It´s only spotwelded fron inside:)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0044.jpg
Not so good weldings, this was done some years ago and among the first parts that I tried to weld, have got a bit better now. Will try drill out those 4 weld spots next weekend. Did try to find some stainless tubes with 55mm in diameter but this is not available.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0042.jpg
This is what the frame looks like when everything is taken away (oops, need to klean those work benches :o:o)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0045.jpg
Dan

doodlebug
02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey Dan, is 55 mm a common size from supplier's? Have you considered using chrome plated hydraulic cylinder rod? Just a thought, I don't know what's available across the "pond''. Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

RCLogger
02-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Very nice Dan
Every time I checkout this thread I can't believe this is a model. You are doing a great job.

greg

D8R
02-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Neil, it looks like 55mm is a very odd size (but that also the scale I´m building in). Can not use a hyd rod, need to have a tubing because there will be some springs inside to keep tracks tightened.
Greg, thanks, you are doing a very nice model to.
Did sandblast frame (made from 8mm steel plate) and some ripper parts today, and bracket to hold drawbar for scraper is done. Can´t wait to get the frame painted, it´s much more fun to work with with paint and easier to keep clean when installing hydraulics. Have had problems with paint quality (chipping), will get answer tomorrow what´s wrong. Will end up painting with 2 comp paint to get a durable surface.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0046.jpg
The other day I talked about one small detail, had that one put together and cleaned, here it is, the oil filter (on the real one) done from 5 laser cut pieces and 8pcs 1,4mm bolts brazed.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0051.jpg

9W Monighan
02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Are you using acid etch primer? That would bite into the metal. On my 1:1 equipment I have used acid etch on sheet metal parts and on the big parts I go with the yellow primer Caterpillar offers. Cat primer goes on nice and builds up well and it's cheap.

D8R
02-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Steve, will go with 2C paint, this is more complex to deal with, mostely because I will have to paint small batches of parts, but result should be good.

Good and bad news
:)The good one is that I got the tubing of front track frame, will do new tubing in 55mm in steel that will be cromed and removable.
:mad:The bad part is that the cab got destroyed today, tried to get roof straight but ended up worse than before. Will probably do a new one, this time in 1 mm steel (old one is 0,7mm), was never happy with the thin sheet on the old. 1mm will be more solid and easier to work with.
Dan

D8R
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Photobucket up running again so latest update.
Got servo mounted to valves with test linkage, right now trying to get them working the way the real machine do. Using the v-tail mixer/function to combine the 2 servos in command of hydraulic motor valves. The model will be able to turn on spot like the big ones (having differential steering).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0065.jpg
Here´s the blade and ripper valves with servos, I´m planning using RC right stick for both of those functions, a seperate channel switching functions.
By the way, any suggestion if servo should be mounted with or without rubber dampners. Looks like they are flexing a little bit because of rubber.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0060.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0059.jpg
As said before, I was very satisfied with the result of simulating the anti skid pattern by laser cutting. Here´s a paper template from computer, will get the real ones on monday:)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0063.jpg
The hub sides got the small cover done
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0054.jpg

Dan

tc1cat
02-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Only 1 word to describe this build,.................WOW!! The detailing just gets better and better.

Lynn

pugs
02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Truly amazing build. I only hope to one day build something similar.

Heavy Metal
02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
This thing is just awesome Dan. Outstanding workmanship. Keep up the good work. Joe

9W Monighan
02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
That diamond tread plate looks interesting.

Lil Giants
02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Fabulous craftsmanship Dan. :cool:

I would suggest leaving the rubber grommets in place with the servos as the gas engine may create some vibration within the model, which could cause some servo glitching. If the servos do glitch at all anyway, perhaps loosening the servo mounting bolts somewhat would help also... figuring out glitch within a model can be very time consuming & frustrating, here's hoping you have none of that. http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/images/smilies/nice.gif

Stuff
02-26-2011, 09:39 PM
wow!!

Toni
02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Nice work Dan...
You still inspires me as you did with your loder in "killarnas kallender" back in the 70`s
The servos to the valves,,how accurate does them center from end to end under load??
and how mutch resistance is the servo working against?
My home made valves is kind of sluggish, need to solve that i guess..

D8R
02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the comments, those encourange words make me try harder!

Tony, the servo-valves has not been tested yet, but Roland (builder of 988 loader) has used same series valves (german HAWE) and had no problem with normal capacity servos. The valves are balanced so servo has no more than internal friction to fight against.

Did get the anti skid plates today :) They turned out just as good as aspected. The big plate outside cab will be cut to fit and bended when new cab is in place. This part has 501 holes, incl some 1,6mm mounting holes for round head Torx screws.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0072.jpg

Did the safety railings on cab from 5mm copper tubing, they will be brazed to the new cab.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0069.jpg
When trying bend multiparts to same dimension I figured out using one of my old wises, drilled and taped for some screws. Then it´s to get right distance with moving part of wise, and you can do multiples!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0066.jpg

Did found a piece 55mm tubing to track frame finaly too, so I´m very satisfied today.
Dan

kerst
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
very nice!

Kerst

td9clyde
03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
awsome work words just don't say enough lol keep up the geat work

D8R
03-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Update on blade cylinders. Finaly got those almost done, all machine work is ready, now it´s to braze everything together. The piston side is treaded (thanks Toni for the help), the parts hanging in left piston is the pistonhead, they will have dubble o-rings. Know you all like pics so I skip alot talk today!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0125.jpg
Cylinder head with home made banjos (M5) and connections to hoses.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0126-1.jpg
Lamp guard and head cover test mounted
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0131.jpg
The lamp guards has rubber cusions like the real ones
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0133.jpg

Dan

td9clyde
03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
ggggggeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz man lol where does the detail stop??? this is going to be one of the biggest and most detailed models i have seen keep up the awsome work now you have me thinkin of building a bigger scale than my 1/10th scale dozers man yours has to be heavy to even move around mine are 55 and 60 lbs can't imagine how much yours weigh in at

9W Monighan
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
thumbs up Dan :p

D8R
03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Thx Steve and Henry, the model will be around 500lbs when ready, yes it´s a big model, the blade cylinders are 1 fot long!
Have finaly got the track recoil finalized, have new 55mm (~2") diameter steel tubes done that will be cromed, have a brass bushing on the rear inside tube, a delrin bushing in front with a seal. The spring function will be a lockable gas spring inside tube (that´s an old used one in pic). They are activated with the small pin in the left end and can be ordered with various force. I´m planning for a 40kg/88lbs setting that can be reduced if needed.
Activation on the spring will be thru the normal hole where you put in grease in the recoil cylinder when it´s a 1:1 machine. The working stroke will be around 1", that´s enough with my chain pitch.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0138-1.jpg
Dan

9W Monighan
03-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I should post a couple pictures of the 1/3 scale D6H I was building for my son 20yrs ago. My recoil was a 2''x4'' tube sliding in a bent up piece of 1/8'' steel that was the track frame and my rollers bolted to a flange. I never got very far with it but spent a bunch of time making rollers and idles. I never had the $$ to buy a 2cyl diesel engine. Now they're much cheaper. The D1 project took a lot less$$ and time to build- about 2months.

Lil Giants
03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Invisioning my own 16th dozer & it's cyls while looking at your's Dan, knowing that the steel oil line running down your cyls is 5mm dia would be like a 1mm line on my own comparison wise... gosh that's a huge model you're building! :D

Your track tension apparatus is quite ingenuis. :cool: do you have some means of locking the cyl in to slip the track on? ...in case you ever skip it off while turning.

D8R
03-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Steve, maybee it´s time to finish that D6, but at least some photo´s!
Joe, the locking gas springs works like this:
-push the pin in, keep it in and at same time push rod into cylinder
-put on all track
-push the pin again and rod/front bogie assembly will go out and tighten track with 40kg pressure (or whatever pressure specified)
-now the gas cylinder will act like all others, working like a spring
-if you have to tighten track, just push the pin and slack will disapear
Problem could be if front part of track side is pushed in and turning at same time. Guess that 1:1 has that problem to.
Did not mention that there will be a screw in main track frame going into a long hole in recoil cylinder (in the gray part of it) to keep it from turning around.
Supplier is a german company called Hahn, google on hahn gas federn, change to english. Here´s a pic on my choise, they have both smaller and bigger ones.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/gascylinder.jpg
Dan

D8R
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
If you think it´s cheap to build scratch, think twice!
Got 2 negative answers today, the crome company want a $100 to crome the front part of the 2 track cylinders and Hahn distributor offered me the gas cylinders at $140 EACH!!
That´s another 400 bucks on something that´s not visable for most viewer.
At the stage my built has come it´s not an option to quit but soon I have to raise the insurance.
Dan

9W Monighan
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about having the chrome done. Just polish it as best you can or maybe have it precision ground somewhere. The chrome is just keep a cylinder from wear. I don't think it matters on these models.The only real problem would be rust.

fuzzy
03-30-2011, 11:22 PM
i can't get photobucket to work forme yet. i know what is wrong. need one of the kids to show me how. kids like policeman can't find one when you need one ha ha

kerst
03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
i can't get photobucket to work forme yet. i know what is wrong. need one of the kids to show me how. kids like policeman can't find one when you need one ha ha

Right and they are there when you don't want them!

Kerst

D8R
03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I know the frustration, fuzzy, have had that problem ealier. I´m not a computer guy, just want it to work.
But I challenged myself to try youtube upload today. This is the first ever try and there will be more coming (have to get a lower solution on camera to speed up process or maybee it shall take 20 min to upload).
Tried to describe the way my control is set up to simulate the real D8R.
Sorry for the swede-english.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVReqBYr8Dw
Dan

pugs
03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Very nice explanation of the controls, look forward to more vids.

Lil Giants
04-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Your english is very good Dan, I understood every word. ;)

I like that radio you have, it looks like the ultimate radio for constr equip. A few details plz? Model #? How many ch? Is it 2.4mHz?

D8R
04-01-2011, 02:02 PM
The radio is a Multiplex Royal Pro 9 channels (7-9-12 available) and is a 2,4 Ghz with full telemetry. There´s possibility to store individual settings for 20 different models.

My set up for the D8R is:
Channel/description
1/ speed forward-reverse, left stick
2/ steering left-right, left stick
3/ blade up-down, right stick
4/ blade tilt left-right, right stick
5/ ripper up-down, right stick
6/ ripper tilt backwards-forwards, right stick
7/ 2way switch between 3/4 and 5/6 on right stick
8/ lights on-off-wipers on
9/ engine speed stepless
The telemetry will show following info in window on transmitter
-voltage on battery for reciever and lightning
-temperature on engine
-temperature on hydraulic oil
-revs on engine
All telemetry can be programmed with warning levels, audio or/and visable in window.
The programming was not easy, but got good help from selling dealer and from factory support.
Did think a 7 channel was enough but was convinced that I should go an extra 2 by seller, thanks Per!
Lessen learn, could have had use for more! if you have to choose go for as many as possible, you may need it for next model

Will try some 2-C paint during weekend, another new experience.
Dan

D8R
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Paintshop open!
Finaly it was time to start paint some parts. The frame had to be painted before any assembly can be done. At same time I painted other parts that was ready. Well not realy ready, still lacking the last cover of yellow paint, hope to do that this weekend.
The PPG paint was very easy to paint with, have only used 1 component paint before.
All part have been sandblasted and primed before some plaster was added and sanding. I put a second layer of primer before coating.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0148.jpg

Run out of mixed yellow paint, but all parts will be painted again.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0158.jpg

Inside of frame ready but outside still lacking finish layer.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0164.jpg
Dan

pugs
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice looking work.

I see a nice size scraper in the background, any chance of a thread of pics on that?

RCLogger
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Very nice Dan
You must be counting the days until it is pushing some dirt.

Very cool

greg

9W Monighan
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Nice. Are you using old HiWay Yellow or the new yellow? In the pictures it looks like both. Maybe just lighting.

D8R
04-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Pugs, I will try upload some more pictures on the 463, have some during the build.
Greg, have been counting years, now I m on months but building will slow down during summer, have to take care of my old Pete and Great Dane trailer. Still hope to have a start up within 6 months :o:o
Steve, yes it´s the lightning used that fools picture, the model is painted in new CAT color. Have learned the hard way that there´s a lot of different colors on CAT´s depending on when manufactored. I like the higway yellow very much (sofar the best one) but couldn´t paint a modern model in that. The 463 are painted in same color as D8R, that´s wrong color if it was supposed to show a new 463, but my scraper are a "hydraulic rebuilt" and then it was painted in new color scheme (just like my friend real 463).

Proto 463
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF5219.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF5212.jpg
Dan

D8R
04-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Pugs, as promissed, more pictures from build of 463. Built this when I had one of numerous stops in the D8 build, but this was quite easy done during 4 weekends. Opposite D8 all metal was cut by hand (plasma or cut-disk) and only drawing was a DW20/463 pic in a cat brochure that was scale up.
As with all wheeled model tyres are main problem to find. my tires was very close to size but not proto at pattern. The 463 will be hydraulic operated from D8 (have quick connections to ripper/scraper). The ripper will be on machine but shank removed when running with scraper.

The 463 was built in 3mm steel, got 2 sheets for free, they was damaged in a corner and could not be sold, ok for me!

Left side (and right side) built complete before attached to each other
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4081.jpg

Couldn´t resist to try the side with wheels
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4087.jpg

The boul basicly ready
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4095.jpg

Adding the rear with pusher plate and wheel support
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4096.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4152.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4098.jpg

The front made with it´s big tube (everything upside down on work table!)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4089.jpg

Fresh from model factory. Cylinders was not made until a year ago, they still need the connectors to be mounted.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4178.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSCF4172.jpg

Some paint on it
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0436.jpg

Only picture I could find when painted and assembled. This fram a local show last year. The pallets that machines is placed on has an lenght of 4´ each, just to give an impression on how big they are. The 463 has a unloaded weight of 180lbs and should reach another 440lbs when loaded. It will be intresting to see how the D8 can load this.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0030mindre.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Dan

pugs
04-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Very nice looking work.

rockNmayhem
04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
WOW that thing grew in size quick. Looks great with the paint on it too. Cant wait to see the video's of it pulling.

~Tyler~

D8R
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Started to assembly the finished parts a week ago. Got problem with return hose from blade-ripper hydraulic valves. This has to be connected to oil filter adapter first but this adapter comes rather late into the model, then it´s impossible to connect the hose to valve:mad::mad:
Remember that I´m a office guy, have no education in metal working (well, have a 2 hour welding course 8 years ago) so it´s trail and error all the time. This is the most complicated model that I have or will build, from time to time asking my self why I choose hydraulic drive line:confused::confused:

It´s very tight inside machine, on this picture there´s still a lot part missing. The hose laying on right track is the one that causing the problems right now. If I had mounted it ealier (or tried atleast) I have had discovered the problem much earlier:o:o. The hose was not pressed at that time, maybee that´s the reason for not beeing mounted.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0247.jpg

Right now thinking of skipping the filter, making an new adapter that make it possible to get hose connected later on. If I go without filter I will have connectors so it´s possible to connect a outside filter from time to time to clean the oil.

Here´s the first step on assembling the model.

Front beam has rubber stops inside chassis, also rubber tubing inside the holes where side frames are connected (to make it possible to move)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0439.jpg

Blade and ripper valves inside back of machine frame.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0440.jpg

Tubing to blade made from brake liners. Cover above servos mounted.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0443.jpg

Dan

9W Monighan
05-03-2011, 04:19 PM
HMM, Looks like you will need to bend smaller diameter steel lines that will take up less room.
Or you could bring it with you to the USA next week and leave it with me and maybe I could fix it and keep it here for safe keeping:D:D:D:D:D
I promise to be sure to send pictures of it working in the dirt from time to time:eek::D

dirtpusher9
05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Dan, you have came a ways with this project. I don't think you will have any problem loading the pan, weight is our freind in the heavy equipment world. Can't wait to see her moving and hauling some dirt. You have done an awsome job on this.

D8R
05-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Steve, have choosen rubber tubes only on parts connected to something that can flex or move, in this case, the engine and hydraulic pump assembly are mounted on 4 rubber cusions.
About your offer, is the 9W included in a trade:)
i think the problem will be solved, the filter will be removed and using a separate one outside machine after some running. Without a filter I will eliminate a small collision with cab floor!

Thanks Joe, nice to see you back here again, and congrates to the shared 1st place in aprils contest. Your build and videos are an inspiration source for me and others!
Dan

D8R
05-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Said it before, spring and summer is time for the 1:1 equipment but that work is a little slow right now, lacking needed workshop space. Lost parking space to for the Freightliner and Pete but looks like new ones coming:)
Did a new cab in thicker steel, now 1mm instead of the 0,75mm in the first one. This fraction make a lot differens to stability, realise now that some parts like roof and the side parts where doors is mounted could have been thicker, like 1,5 or 2mm. The roof still flexes when welding (i probably do something wrong but I´m learning). Sides with windows can not be thicker due to rubber used to mount plexi.
Was planning to TIG this second cab but did go with MIG again. Guess I should not been in so hurry to weld this but but now it´s done:o

3 different stages, first a paper mockup, then parts for a new cab and a rejected cab!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0367-1.jpg

The cab that will be used in front, have also been cut on top to get right form. The cab might look square but it´s only the front that´s not leaning. There will be reinforce inside cab between side windows (there´s a little bend) to help straighten up side.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0369.jpg

Dan

9W Monighan
05-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Nice parts.If you could have TIG welded the metal you wouldn't have much warping. You should get a small machine and try it some day. With the thin metal you wouldn't need a big machine with much amperage to do the needed work.

Stewmeat95
05-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Hello Im new to these forums. My father is a mechanic and recently build a D8 in real life from frame up. These machines are fantastic and beautiful in their own way. If you want any wiring or hose diagrams i can look at some of the manuals at the shop.

Good work Dan,

Austin

D8R
05-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Will try TIG on next model Steve, some friends using this is recommending it. Planned trip to Brownsville was cancelled :mad: Used weekend to continue with assembling machine to be ready for shows this summer. Planning to brake down the machine again before first start. Did get some hoses made in right lenght. Still missing in hydraulic system is a block recieving return oil from the 3 valves, connected to lower tank. Since filter was removed, a quick coupling is planned here to run oil thrue a extrernal filter occasional.

Have photo´s from each step when assembling, here´s some:

Rear end with brackets for ripper, rear transmissons case (dummy) with quick coupling with shut off function (don´t want to spill any oil here:))
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0376.jpg

Hard time to mount screws holding hydraulic motor. Had to leave the 6th not installed, no way to find space enogh
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0380.jpg

Left control valve installed
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0381.jpg

Right control valve installed
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0382.jpg

Difference sizes used when assembling, from 5,5mm to 27mm!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0383.jpg

Correct lenght of suction hoses to pumps tested. The flex connector between engine and pumps not installed yet.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0384.jpg

Engine (Honda GX with cover painted black) and pumps installed
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0387.jpg

New cab with correct curved cab corner tested. Still has to be straighten up inside, roof and some sides has dents.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0389.jpg

Can´t imaging that I´ve spent 9 years on designing and fabrication on this model. Of course, I have been less active some years but nowdays I´m putting in all spare time I can find. I´m very encuraged from comments and others builds in this forum, thanks guys:):):) Also selling off my 1:1 histrorical equipments to concentrate on model buildning.
Dan

td9clyde
05-22-2011, 07:17 AM
looks great i can't wait to see this dozer pushin some dirt

JAMMER
05-22-2011, 08:35 AM
That dozer is coming along nicely it is really taking shape keep up the good work. Ed

Stewmeat95
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM
*Drolling* Need a video of it running

rockNmayhem
05-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Wow this beast is looking great. Can't wait to see it up and running as well. Wish it was here in the states to go watch.

D8R
05-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for comments, yes I would like to get it running but still parts to produce before runnable. Sorry, don´t know what "drolling" means, if it´s good or bad :confused::confused:.
Railings on cab installed today. Was planned to be glued on but changed mind so bults and nut could be used. Still not right heads on bults, will use scale sized heads.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0479.jpg

Tested front doors with paint, not muck of engine inside will be seen.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0478.jpg

Did find a operator for the model, toysity had a nice head, cloths and shoes, body found at rarefiguretoys. He will arrive within a couple of weeks, guess he will help me with the interior of the cab :rolleyes:

D8R
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Sometimes it can be boring to build scratch. This evening I finished a long waited part of my project, drilling all holes in tracks, 380 holes, 10mm deep, 2,6mm diameter. That´s 12 feet total of drilling depth!

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0406.jpg

When finished with bolts (don´t have them with correct lenght yet, this is what it will look like.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0400.jpg

had some more part painted last weekend, assembling of machine will be done this weekend for a show next week. Window and door section still to be painted black. This is what it could have looked like if I had finished the model as a D8N as it was supposed to from begining. Now I plan to go for a late D8R or D8R series II.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0403.jpg

More parts, most of them done, some need another splash of paint
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0404.jpg

Pics and a video of assembled model will be posted after weekend, but it´s NOT runnable yet.
dan

9W Monighan
06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Wow, Lots of parts done. Those grab bars sure turned out nice.
"DROOLING" is slang meaning another person is envious of you work. Or like a dog drooling for that big steak you are eating and it looks very good to him. Our board doesn't have a "Drooling" emoticon(smiley) to choose from :eek:

JensR
06-09-2011, 07:27 PM
This is beyond breathtaking!

modelman
06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
D8R-Your dozer is looking better with each picture! I think a lot of people are "drooling" over this model.:cool: Great job! Will be good to see a video and more pictures!

benoj
06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
This D8 is amazing in so many ways, mainly its size and all the fuctioning details. i cant wait to see a video of it completely functional and running.

D8R
06-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your support, makes it worth the long evenings spent modelling.

Had cylinders left at crom shop to do surface, a long story short, they did nothing in 4 weeks so I will warn people to do buisness with them:mad::mad:
As said, promised more videos, here´s a try this evening.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6SYBzMx92Y
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGRNGGWw6Wo
Sorry for shaking video a little bit, will try tripod next when doing stuffs with other hand.

New videos to come next weekend, will try to learn how to get faster uploads to:confused::confused:

Dan

doodlebug
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey Dan, Thank's for sharing! It's looking outstanding!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

D8R
06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Some more pics when assembled. The machine will stay this way during summer but in september it will be dismantled again for final manufactoring of some missing parts. Still hope to get it running next summer:)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0570.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0583.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0586.jpg

the small D2 is a ACMOC model in 1/24 scale, just for comparison
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0577.jpg

Here 2 pics from show last weekend. My friend came with his 988B loader, nice to see those 2 models together for first time. Guess there will be some dirt moved when mine is operational. He has also a Volvo A35 coming. The 988 has been running for 10 years now, only modification done is change of engine to a 4 cycle Honda 31cc. This model has basicly same driveline as mine, a big oump and hydraulic motor for movement and smaller pump for working functions.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0461.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0454.jpg

Dan

9W Monighan
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
WOW WOW WOW WOW DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

cbazq271
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
WOW WOW WOW WOW DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Yeah, What he said

pugs
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Very cool

modelman
06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
D8R-dozer looks fantastic!! And it's HUGE!!

CavemanBud
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Totaly awesome. what an inspiration for us all

D8R
06-26-2011, 07:28 AM
The model builder season is over but can´t stop adding more parts to the model. Guess it´s all those nice comments that makes me going, thanks all of you!:):) Had mid summer holiday this weekend with and extra day off, and what better way than spending that producing all windows for the model.
I used a Polycarbonate sheet 1mm thick, manufactor is BAYER but there will be other local brands. I plan to use the H-shaped rubber gasket sold by Knupfershop.de , Will use the smaller one since my thickness of window and steel in cab is 1mm, the width of gasket is 2,5mm (could have been a little more).

here´s a step by step

I have all parts for cab in computer (CAD) so I change those parts so be windows instead, adding room for a H-shaped rubber gasket. I printeded the part and used it as template for the window. If not having CAD, make a drawing from cutted opening with a pencil with same width as H-rubber need.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0609.jpg

Next I cutted the plastic sheet to size using my shearer, sanding edges smoth and shaping the corners.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0611.jpg

Checking size in cab openings, adjusting corners....
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0613.jpg

and finaly a window with perfect fit. Don´t have the gasket yet so can´t show window mounted.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0614.jpg

thanks for looking!
Dan

steamer
06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Dan. Your attention to detail is amazing and the Cat is a work of art. I used the same gasket to install the glass in a 1/16" train. And the rest of you guys, keep the comments rolling. That way we'll encourage Dan to finish the D8 and we can see it run and move some dirt.
Rob

Lil Giants
06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
It'd be nifty to see some pics & read some info of your shearer machine... I've never seen anything like it before. I'd guess that'd be a scratchbuilder's ultimate tool for alot of sheet metal work?

What other specialty tools have you aquired over the yrs to aid in your model engineering perfection Dan?

D8R
06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Here´s a little shop tour, but sorry to say :o, it´s not cleaned/orginazied the last months due to hectic building. I´m not spending that much time on cleaning but belives in with each tool in right place works goes faster!

The shearer are actualy the last bought big tool in the shop. have used it for some time now and think it will be a very useful tool for coming models.
This one was ordered from a german company, in us you have same type of machine available from different shops like(http://www.tennsmith.com/notchers.html).
Working with 1mm steel is no problem, cutting straight or in corners is no problem. I have a bigger shearer, electric operated that can cut 2mm plates up to 1m wide. Normaly I use this to cut down steel plates to more useful sizes or cutting parts to right sizes direct. This machine is to big to have at home, it´s a 1000kg machine.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0618-1.jpg
Next machine is a drill and then a band saw. Both those machines are a little to small now but have problem with space in shop (inside in basement in my house) so I have to keep them.

On opposit corner is an milling machine, RF-35, think 14 years old now. Did put on digital read outs DRO on this one 2 years ago and it´s recomended, it´s like a new machine (but almost to small to!). The Emco lathe Compact 8, is more than 30 years old and was my first machine, used it when buildning the CAT992 loader. It´s a very accurate machine but only used for small parts today. On right is a bender bought at same time as shearer, have not used it so much yet, can not decide it this a recommended machine or not, maybee because of my skills using it is not so good yet.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0616-1.jpg

This is my bigger lathe, can be found under a lot of different names, a chinees machine, not as good as Emco but quite useful for bigger jobs. A better quality lathe had been much more expensive and I couldn´t justify that at this time. machine has also got DRO´s, helps a lot.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0617-1.jpg

Last pic shows an overall view of my shop, size is 12´x15´. I guess we all want bigger spaces, at the moment I´m satisfied with what I have. The shop was expaned 2 years ago, still needs more shelfs to put all stuffs at. The D8 stands on a very useful tool, the movable cart that can adjust working height. The model weights around 400lbs now so I need something to move it with. Have 2 of those carts, was bought used.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0619-1.jpg

When I started buildning bigger models (Cat992 was first) I had very limited resources and tools. It was only handtools and a electrical drill. I think you can do miracles without having a lot of machinery but it´s much easier to do if you have them!
If you missed another tread from me, please check out this models, the maker has only a couple of small hand held tools and a small welder, it´s amazing models.
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=646

On my wish list is a computer controlled milling machine, I like to draw parts in computer and with such machine I think I could go another step in quality.
For you that read this tread knows that I use a lot of laser cut parts. There´s no way you can have this type of equipment on your own, and with a good contact with local companies, parts can be done rather cheep.

Not shown here is welding and grinding equipment, that´s because I do not do those jobs at home, use another bigger work shop designed for those works. I would love to have this possibilities at home but can´t find space for that shop. It could save me hours every time a small part have to be welded. Yes, I use MIG, trying to learn TIG and gas but as mentioned before, I´m working in office, have no education in metal fabrication, every thing has to learned hard way.

I would recommend everyone to buy as big machine you can afford or have space for. Accuracy will be better, some times it´s also better buing a used one (high quality) than a new cheaper copy.

If you have more questions of what I use or how I build parts please feel free to ask, I will answer as soon as I can.
Dan

cbazq271
06-29-2011, 09:27 AM
have any video of the load or dozer?

D8R
07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
here´s a video of my machine, no it´s not running yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/catmodels#p/a/u/0/ANWBj6terhY

The 988B can be seen on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZkMUV-01Y

Enjoy.
Dan

Trucker Al
07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Dan,
Absolutely incredible! Great work. Thanks for the videos.
Alan

9W Monighan
07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
FABULOUS VIDEO!!!!!

D8R
07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Employee arrived today, finaly:rolleyes:.
Jim will be the driver of the D8R, have a good record driving a lot of machines (good for future builds).
Jim is 5´7" toll, can work around the clock and looking forward to some nice tools so he can maintain the machine in best way. Guess first work will be helping out with the interior!

Jim, all those bolts to hold the shoes are missing, get ready for some work!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0641.jpg

Dan

9W Monighan
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Is he from your homeland? He sort a looks mad or constipated:p. Maybe just because he will need to wait a while before he can sit inside. You know he's going to want air conditioning too.:D

D8R
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
No, he may look swedish but I found him in Hong Kong. There will be plenty of work before he has to think about sitting, and air conditioning? He has doors to open! (don´t tell him about this but ofcourse there will be air cond).

Ampen
08-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Amazing build. i love your workshop that is exactly what i want my workshop to look like some day.

Did you make the hydralpistons and valves yourself?
/Andreas

D8R
08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Bad weather on holiday, what to do?

Started with interior last week, here´s first part of inner roof with place for radio. A lot of interior will be built in styrene, I use 2 or 3mm sheet´s.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0905.jpg

Something new and never made by me was the way the seat was done. Started with 4 layers of 3mm balsa wood, glued cross wise for strenght. Last layer was cut a little to shape of seat.
Took some pics during this build so here´s my way, step by step, making a seat.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0903.jpg

Next step was to cut down the balsa (with a dremel) to right shape, including the the contour of seat.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0909.jpg

To get a softer face of seat 2 layers of foam was applied with 3M spray glue (used "final mount" no 2nd chance here). Used a steel wire inserted into seat as holder when glue was applied.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0910.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0912.jpg

Found some nice seatcover that is a little elastic to, has a surface with a rib pattern. Have never made any recarpeting on chairs before, guess that needs some practice too! the front layer of textile was applied with glue on chair.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0916.jpg

Completed seat, the rear cover (cut to size first) had glue applied to textile. Front corner was not easy, the result was not satisfying but has to be that way for now.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0917.jpg

Rear and under side with base (1mm steel) sliding into back rest (can be positioned) of seat.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0918.jpg

Don´t know why but it looks like Jim doesn´t like the seat, still looks angry, maybe he doesn´t have any smiling face:rolleyes: maybee he is missing that can of cola?
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0919.jpg

Dan

9W Monighan
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Very nice directions on seat building Dan. That turned out nice.
Jim may be mad because he wants a air ride seat. OR, he wants a beer rather than a soda.

doodlebug
08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
LOL! the cup holder may have to be aftermarket! Seat look's great! Thank's for sharing the update's.
Cheer's, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

Smokin Joe
08-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for comments,
they are made of normal steel, don´t know quality but not stainless. A couple of mig tacks and then soldered in owen.
Sorry Dozer, couldn´t find the attachment.
320lbs, that´s now, when finished I think more of 430-450lbs complete with ripper and blade. It´s not only for good with this weight, it´s becoming harder to move the machine (remember, I can´t drive out from work shop).
The engine is a Honda 2,5hp 4-cycle industrial engine with built in reduction of 1:2. This gives a outputt shaft speed of 1500rpm at max torque. With hydraulic pumps it´s perfect with the 1500. Here shown without muffler, will build one as big as possible when all other stuffs is inside the model. A bigger muffler will give a more prototypical sound (I hope).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0402.jpg

Was at a hobby show today at Volvo museeum and they had a very large L220 model. I thing my 463 is big but it could almost fit inside the bucket, is there a limit to call it a model?? Remember seeing the model before, here´s a link to the builder, impressing!
http://www.wessels-modellbau.de/Gallerie_4/gallerie_4.html
Dan

Dan, I think if the build is less than 1:1 and hand built, it is art first and a model second. They consider Picasso a artist. Go figure.

dozernerd
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
hey dan,glad to see your still building,youll have fun when you can start rattling around your shop with it!im gettin ready to start buying parts for the 9g,tryin to sell the 11 to fund the project.no takers yet,maybe thats a good thing..... ed

kyleandtavion
08-21-2011, 10:01 PM
That is just incredible. If I had the skillset I would starting building one tommorrow

D8R
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi Ed, glad you found this site. Realy looking forward to your next build, do look at your D11 videos and dreams about the day I can run mine.
Will the 9 be diesel-electric?

Thanks Kyle, I did not have much of experience (like welding, milling) when I started building this machine. Try build some small part and see if you like it.

very little done now, did have a little injury in my right shoulder, should stay still doctor says, hard to hear when there is so much on "to do list"
Dan

doodlebug
08-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Hey Dan, Get feeling better soon! Great progress so far!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

Smokin Joe
08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Jim, I, as I am sure many on this forum have had no formal training.

You are a master of your craft. The D8R is incredible. Thank you for all the time you put into showing us your build. I read your build and look at the pictures many times because each time I read or see something I missed.

Thank you, Joe

Azonic
09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
WOW! Such a masterpiece! And youre even from my own country, i would love to come by you if i have the way thru stockholm sometime to watch this epic build in person, its impressive! :eek:

Lokking forward to updates!

Hälsningar Kalle!

D8R
11-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Finally got inspiration back to continue modelling. It has been almost 4 months of nothing done.
You may remember from earlier comments that I was planning to use a gas cylinder as tension spring for the tracks. Well it turned out very expensive, and not so prototypical. Did some drawings last weekend and build 2 set of springloaded tensioners.
It´s quite simple in design and to stiff up the track I use a small wrench (?) thrue the hole where you normaly (in 1:1) use the grease gun to tighten tracks.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0192.jpg

video showing how it works can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2UajMkvWE

Dan

Espeefan
11-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Excellent updates! Ypu've made leaps and bounds, since I last checked your thread. Your shop is incredible, for a basement shop. Carpeted floor and all! How do you keep it so clean, especially when you are milling? Don't the chips tend to fly everywhere? I saw a blue tarp in one of the photos. Do you collect chips or contain them with that?

The big old Cat is huge! It fills that entire lift table up, and until your photo with your hand in it, I really couldn't grasp the true size of this machine. I knew it was big, but wow, what a beast! Are you going to drive it out of the basement, under it's own power? Obviously you got it out once, for display, along side the Cat wheel loader. Kind of curious if you have a walk out basement, an elevator, or a winch with a rolling table of some kind!

crawler07
11-24-2011, 09:53 PM
your work is amazing to say the least, Also to stay focused after 9+ years is astonishing their is very few people who could stay with a project for so long..Congrats on an outstanding job Sir,,

D8R
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Excellent updates! Ypu've made leaps and bounds, since I last checked your thread. Your shop is incredible, for a basement shop. Carpeted floor and all! How do you keep it so clean, especially when you are milling? Don't the chips tend to fly everywhere? I saw a blue tarp in one of the photos. Do you collect chips or contain them with that?

Have a industrial vaccum cleaner that can handle everything. No that blue tarp has only been used to cover the small lathe from dust, this is not so often used since I got the big one.

The big old Cat is huge! It fills that entire lift table up, and until your photo with your hand in it, I really couldn't grasp the true size of this machine. I knew it was big, but wow, what a beast! Are you going to drive it out of the basement, under it's own power? Obviously you got it out once, for display, along side the Cat wheel loader. Kind of curious if you have a walk out basement, an elevator, or a winch with a rolling table of some kind!

No It can not be drive out by itself, it would wreck the wooden floor in enterance hall. I use this lifttable to roll the machine outside. Have a 2 step to come outside but it´s ok with ramps. The blade has to be removed, door opening is not wide enough.

Thanks Tim, I can't wait either but there´s still parts missing

your work is amazing to say the least, Also to stay focused after 9+ years is astonishing their is very few people who could stay with a project for so long..Congrats on an outstanding job Sir,,

Have hade some dips before , but forums like this one and comments from you all, makes me try harder! And I have to stay on one project, it´s to easy starting another one, have some new in mind but they have to wait. Thanks for the support
Dan

doodlebug
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Gee Whiz Dan, so your dozed is just like the1:1 version!
Remove the blade for transport.
Cheer's, Neil.

9W Monighan
12-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Any progress for the new year Dan? Are you still considering Bowling Green, Ohio this summer?

D8R
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for asking Steve, but it does not look so good.
Have not done much at the model lately, had no inspiration. Was at the german show, bought some Knupfer rubber gasket for windows (H shaped), discovered home that they can´t be mounted in cab I have today (this is the 2nd done), thickness of walls (and windows, yes have to make new ones) has to be 1,5mm instead of 1mm :mad::mad:.
I will most likely add 0,5mm styrene sheet inside cab and have new doors cut out in right tickness.

Next issue is lacking enough information on how inside cab looks. I have lots of photos and messurements taken but it was not enough. As said before, it´s importent to stick to ONE model, I started doing a D8N, changed later to D8R and have had my friend´s D8R serie II for most reference.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0016-1.jpg
You can´t get to much info, I always use a paper or styrene mock up to check it out

I have a spare part book for D8N but when it comes to details it doesn´t work. I would never do another contemperary model without accurate book, it makes it so easier. Now has my friend also changed to D8T, and that´s a complete different model when it comes to cab. The old one was sold 800miles north so that´s not available for reference anymore.

That´s the bad part, the good thing is that in the last days inspiration is coming back, trying to get inside of cab done within a week or two, so I can focus on finishing the drive line with drive spockets and gear reduction in hubs.

But, I don´t think model will be running at time of show (had to be shipped min 4-6 weeks before). I will still try to attend to show but only to watch all your models.

Photo´s will come on cab progress later!

Dan

dirtpusher9
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey Dan, can you tell me how the removable hitch works and maybe some pics? How did you mount it?

D8R
01-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Hi Joe, here´s how I sloved it. The ripper brackets back on machine was made new with a 3rd leg on low position.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0376.jpg

then there´s 3 other parts, the coupler and 2 different connectors
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0018.jpg

Then there was a scraper coupler holder made to fit inside the cut out of ripper baseplate.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0025-1.jpg

With the different connectors between base plate and coupler holder I can change so when not using scraper, the coupler is folded and secured in parking position, not interfiering when using ripper. Since it has same turning point as baseplate it´s just dead weight.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0022.jpg

But when using scraper, baseplate is lowered and secured with the other connector, bolted with 2 screws (not shown here), one to hold coupler in holder and the other to keep coupler holder in right position. Now the ripper cylinder has to be disconnected (I use same valve function for ripper and scraper with the small hydraulic quick couplings), I hope that cylinder will be tight enough to hold ripper in high position (I will do a double set of o-rings in piston on ripper raise cylinders).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0021.jpg

Here´s another view from bellow when coupler is installed in holder.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0024.jpg

The basic design is copied from friends real D8 but adapted to work on my model. The only concern, as mentioned, is if the ripper lifting cylinder will keep the ripper assembly up when working with scraper but time will tell!
Dan

D8R
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Continued to make all walls/openings round windows thicker to accept rubber gasket. Did this also to doors (a 0,5mm styrene on inside), doors needs to be much thicker so this styrene layer makes it easier to build door frames.

Tried out the different heights on interior, operator Jim still waiting to drive;)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0036-1.jpg

He got a fire extinguisher made to same scale from different brass parts.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0035.jpg

steamer
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Dan. Don't you just love styrene. It make great patterns for mock ups to be made from metal. The D11 is getting very close now and that's exciting. I don't know if you've found rubber for the windows but I use this product and it works great.
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=FOR133
Rob

D8R
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi Rob, yes styrene is fantastic but this time the interior will be made in styrene only. It takes some time to do it this way and there´s no reason to do it in metal, have cab to protect it.
The rubber gasket will be a H-profil from a german supplier, Knupfer. This gasket will hold the windows in a prototypical way.

Dan

D8R
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Did some more interior this weekend, main components ready exept for instrument cluster (needs more photos on that one). Will do the handles next and suspension for seat.

Main seat area (had to compromise with an extra box inside seating area to cover servos and valves bellow, will not be noticeable when seat and driver in place)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0046-1.jpg

Rear of seat area, a lot of different styrene pieces
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0051-1.jpg

Main seat painted 1st time, armrest not mounted.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0050.jpg

Operator testing out, looks like he can grab the handles, he´s a short guy so needs to sit to front. Cab internal roof also done, still missing lamp, speakers and radio.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0049-1.jpg

Dan

pugs
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Very nice. You'll have to mount a small camera behind operators head and have a real life view.

Stefan
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Hej Dan! I´m very impressed by your build. It all looks so real! Can hardly wait to have a closer look at it this summer (guys, I feel so privileged by the fact that my parents live just a couple of miles from Dan :D:D - or maybe I should be sorry that I emigrated :confused:).

Stefan

D8R
01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks pugs and Stefan!
If there will be a camera or not has to be decided, lenses getting smaller all time so we see (maybee in the head of the driver?).
Stefan, your velcome to visit me, of course all others also passing by to!

Did some small detail work for interior like handles, here 2 of them. At left the control lever for main dozer, built up of 27 pcs styrene parts, milled and sanded to shape. At right the blade handle, here shown with all parts only glued together, not sanded down yet.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0059-2.jpg

After some searching I found a small electrical switch with a good looking rubber gasket. 2 of them will be used for blade and ripper controls. Of course they will be moving when blade/ripper moves:rolleyes::rolleyes: No they will not!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0053.jpg

Still to do the front display area, need a better photo on this one since I will print the complete dashboard, maybee with some lightning behind. If there is someone having axcess to a D8R serieII or a D6R (yes, same cab) and could take a picture of the dash board like below I would be grateful. I have a backup machine to photograph but it is a 2 hour drive (1-way) away.
Importent is that display has to be clean and with engine running to show readings on display!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0653.jpg

to next time, happy modeling!
Dan

jimkidmotorsports
02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
dan that thing is a work of art but i want to see it push some dirt get after it and finish it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

jimkidmotorsports
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
hay dan how do you attach the front track assembly to the main frame i see in the rear its the tube but what is on the front thanks

pugs
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
There is an equalizer walking beam bar between the track fronts with a pivot point under middle of main body frame. Can be seen in reply #68 of this thread a little bit.

D8R
02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Here´s 2 other photo´s showing how beam is mounted.
The upside of beam will work against 2 rubber cusions mounted on main frame
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0438.jpg

Here´s the beam installed, the pivot has a steel pin. If there should be a movement on beam up and down, you need rubber gaskets inside the beam where side track frame is connected to beam. Short: the side frame can only move circular around the main pivot axle (if steel to steel, I have 2 o-rings in side track frame) and the beam is working 90 degress in opposite, that makes the beam going a fraction inwards when going up and down. To make this movment possible I have also installed a rubber tubing in beam. It works great without any bindings. Metal to metal in all connections will never work here!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0439-1.jpg
The beam gets a lot of stress on real machines, it´s common that it brakes!

Hope this explains how it is done and how it works.
Dan

ps. have contact with another operator of an D6 nearby so will go and take photos and messurments on dash board next weekend.

jimkidmotorsports
02-05-2012, 03:59 PM
That's. A pivot beam in the middle so the front track can pivot a little thanks

jimkidmotorsports
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
And the track bar is mounted in the front with a pin between the two mounting flanges on the track bar right

D8R
02-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Time for some update and photos!
Spent available time adding parts for interior. As mentioned before, had some misses in messurments done out in the field, got possibility (finaly after months waiting) to make correct messurments on another machine. At same time I also got new pictures of instrument panel that could be used.
Still working with last details on inside roof/doors then painting all inside. Arm rests not mounted yet.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0257.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0263-1.jpg

Steve, as you can see, the operator has a air suspended seat now, he looks a little more happy:rolleyes::rolleyes: Left hand can be put into lever for speed and direction control.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0238.jpg

The new photo of instrument panel, engine running at 800rpm as you can see! Had to rebuild the panel twice to get it correct to the photo.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0242-1.jpg

This reminds me of a feature show last exibition i Germany that I attended to. Here´s a miniature screen showing some values in real time from sensors in machine. A company Brix is offering this to there RC controls but can´t be used by other systems.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0113.jpg

Made also some extra details/items that every operator has in some degree inside cab, papers (Wheels of Time, Equipment Echos, Machinery Trader and local swedish newspaper) Coca cola can, swedish coffee tray(vacuum), chocolate bar and a pac cigarettes (no, no smoking inside cab!)
As you can see there´s a new operator now (Joey), the old one (Jim) got fired! He refused to put all bolts in the tracks.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0261-1.jpg

Dan

Stefan
02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Dan, this is absolutely amazing! :eek: Really incredible!!!

Stefan

modelman
02-25-2012, 05:38 PM
D8R-excellent detail work!! This will add a lot to an already great model.

RCP57
02-25-2012, 07:12 PM
That really is great! The new operator looks a bit like Russell Crowe to me.lol

td9clyde
02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
awsome work keep the pics comming

D8R
03-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Thanks all for your comments!

Finally operators station done, only thing still lacking inside cab is to make doors thicker. Has not decided to wich degree the inside will be made dirty yet, guess there will be be some when starting drivning.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0069-1.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0070-1.jpg

Will now start doing the last components still missing in drive line and hydraulic system, muffler still missing (was promissed by a entusiastic viewer at one show that he should do it, he worked all days building muffler, just talk talk....:mad:)
Will build one in steel to get noice as low as possible, will have exhaust outlet thrue stack of course.
Dan

Lil Giants
03-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Fantastic details Dan.. let it weather itself, that's the best way of doing it. :D

Azonic
03-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Wow Dan, that interior looks super good! Well done!

steamer
03-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Dan. The cab looks so realistic, I wouldn't mind running the dozer myself. Great work!!
Rob

RCLogger
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Great job on the interior Dan. Looking forward to more photo's.

greg

Espeefan
03-13-2012, 01:14 AM
This is just turning out awesome! The detail is incredible. Everytime I check this thread I am amazed even more. The shear mass of this model always slips my mind, until you stick you hand into the photo. I like it!

modelman
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I have never looked inside a dozer but I bet this looks just like the real thing. Fantastic work!! Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

SmallHaul
03-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Amazing detail. Your range of great talent really shows on this model.

Very nice work!

9W Monighan
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Get you shipping crate ready for September Dan.

D8R
04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Steve, sorry to say but there will not be any shippment. The model will not be ready for any shows this summer. To much modelling time lost during last winter.

Thanks again for nice words, got me to do something more before starting working with my 1:1 Pete!

A small detail made. the covers on track frame
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0091-1.jpg

Had a seperate thread earlier, with a discussion about mufflers and "how to".
Started to build the first test muffler today, did go for a circular design instead of box. The idea of building a muffler is to get as nice as possible engine sound. The engine is a Honda 85cc 4-stroke so it will never sound like a 3406 but I will try to keep revs low (1500-2000rpm) and with a bigger volume in muffler, I hope to get better sound, time will tell. The outside of muffler is a 4mm steel tube, inside will be a smaller tube (not this one) with a lot of holes. The inner tube will be connected to stack placed as like original. Copper parts only to show proposed tubing to outlet.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0089.jpg

The left side will be bolted to muffler so it can be opened and interior changed if sound is wrong. There will be support brackets between engine and muffler due to the much higher weight of muffler.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0090.jpg

I think sound is really important, on a electrical operated model you can use available sound units (don´t know if a Cat 3406 is available). Another feature often over looked is correct speed. To many models are operated at a much to high speed (could be traveling speed, steering, hydraulic movements).
The best looking model can be ruined by being operated wrongly.
I have made calculations when designing the hydraulic drive line to get as correct speed as possible. When it comes to the other functions I will have bigger hydraulic lines for dozer control (higher speed in the real ones) but smaller lines for ripper (lower speed), all based upon observation on real ones.
Looking forward to start the engine to see what can be done on sound!
Dan

Brudr46
04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Hello D8R, been lurking around these boards for some time now, admiring the different builds. Have got to commend you sir for the detail put into your build. However, this is the second DXR dozer build that I've seen that has the driver seat not in line or parallel with the machine's axis. It's also true for the 1:1 I've checked. But can you or anyone else explain to me why it's designed like that?

td9clyde
04-18-2012, 03:41 PM
it is designed like that for operator ease i beleive you can see the one side of the blade better than the other and easyer to look back other than just using a mirror this is one of the nicest bigger builds i have seen i can't wait to see it movin some dirt very cool model

D8R
08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for comments, have not posted any progress for some time, but here´s latest updates.

Muffler was completed but still needs some modification. Had to move engine a little back to get sufficient clearence towards engine compartment side plates. Couldn´t do this from beginning, had a big oil filter restricting how far back engine could come. Now with this gone engine was moved ~3/8" back.
The hole for exhaust stack is set by prototype so some minor change needed.
Will start and test new muffler within a couple of weeks. Vid coming!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0002.jpg

New motorcycle air filter added instead of Honda filter. This gives a little more room inside engine compartment and can easily be replaced.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0004.jpg

The drive sprockets has been like a black sheet for me, finaly took decision to let a pro company make them. They turned out very pricy but I´m still glad I did it. This way I could concentrate on other drive parts. Drive axle components has been made, hub reduction parts (mainly WARN parts and some home made) has been modified to fit, so now the drive line is READY:):)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0040.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0010.jpg

The track has finely got all bolts mounted, looks so much better now. All bolts was pressed into place instead of treading holes. See video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jQ_eBd5QQ&feature=g-upl
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0027-2.jpg

The model has been almost totaly dismantled again to get some new paint, the old one was chiping off (something wrong with base paint, didn´t stick to the metal). Did use 1K paint that I have used for 1:1 machinery before, much easier to use than 2K, easier to refresh also. Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZQ1QjLOyc&feature=context-gau
Will post pic later on the paint progress. Here a pic of some parts before painting. Do not have any nice garage to paint in so depending on weather (and we have had tons of rain this summer, can´t remember any other like it).
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0029-3.jpg

Model planned for a static display on a show next weekend, will most likely have decals also. Depending on how much time spent on my Peterbilt, the D8 should be up and running before christmas:):)
Dan

Lil Giants
08-25-2012, 10:47 PM
It's good to see you working on the D8 again Dan and making forward progress too!

Why worry so much about perfect paint job when it will be quickly worn off when it comes to life in a few months? :p :D

D8R
08-29-2012, 04:20 PM
When it´s new it should look like coming from factory, but that will be ruined after first dozing I guess. I´m not afraid of using it, the machine will be used in gardening work as first asignment.

Here some more pics
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0037.jpg

Parts drying inside workshop
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0031-1.jpg

Paintshop:o
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0016.jpg

Cab in yellow/black
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0039.jpg

Here´s the hub reduction put together
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0014.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0013.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0011.jpg

All parts except the big gear (custom made by HPC gears) holding the inner gear ring is from Warn winch. I´m using the 3rd step and winch capacity is much higher than torque from hydraulic motor
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0015.jpg

I´m happy how the tracks and hub finaly turned out. The 5 segments (not painted yet) will simulate how the drive sprocket is made in 1:1. Of course will all bolts be painted when finished. Runned out of the M4 with smaller heads.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0036-2.jpg

Dan

modelman
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
This beast is looking really good!!! It,s hard to tell just how big this model is but when it is finished I'm sure we will get a good look and size comparison. You are doing a great job!!

ngward79
08-29-2012, 11:31 PM
I've been into r/c for 15+ years and scale trail/ Crawler rigs for 3 years and this is probably the best build and largest undertaking I have ever seen. Can't wait to see a vid of the dozer pushing . Thanks for posting. -Nick -

hintzconst
08-30-2012, 12:13 AM
I'm really interested in the build you have here as I am currently in the planning process of a similar project. Mine will be a D9T in 1:5 scale with a diesel I6 and hydrostatic drive. Can't wait to see your's move, your thread is great really has given me a taste of what i'm in for.

speedy8305
08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
I love the model so far verrrrry detailed **** thing looks like they shrunk a real D8 down

D8R
08-30-2012, 02:54 PM
This beast is looking really good!!! It,s hard to tell just how big this model is but when it is finished I'm sure we will get a good look and size comparison. You are doing a great job!!

Thanks, see below, comparison to a coke can

I've been into r/c for 15+ years and scale trail/ Crawler rigs for 3 years and this is probably the best build and largest undertaking I have ever seen. Can't wait to see a vid of the dozer pushing . Thanks for posting. -Nick -

Thanks, will post vid as soon as I starts the engine!

I'm really interested in the build you have here as I am currently in the planning process of a similar project. Mine will be a D9T in 1:5 scale with a diesel I6 and hydrostatic drive. Can't wait to see your's move, your thread is great really has given me a taste of what i'm in for.

With what I know today, I would concider an alternative to hydrostatic. But, I don´t have bad expirience yet from it but it´s a nightmare to get everything to fit inside body. A D9 and in scale 1:5 will make it a little easier, bigger machine, bigger scale. You will need all room for a oil tank as big as possible. I very exited to see how it works when finished.

I love the model so far verrrrry detailed **** thing looks like they shrunk a real D8 down

It was my intention from beginning that machine should look like a real one, compromising done inside where nobody can see.

Did put the test decals on today, will be changed to vinyl ones later
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0053-1.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0055-1.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0058.jpg

Comparison with a coke can (note: capacity in oil tanks is more than 2 gallons, 9,5L metric)
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0060-1.jpg

Blade vs coke can
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0062.jpg

Will have some more pics from exihibition this weekend later, when machine is with blade.

Model finished? No way, if I should make notes of what´s still to be done I guess it´s more than 100 points:mad:
But to see it from the bright side, I´m closer than ever:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have a nice weekend
Dan

Azonic
08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
That looks so good, what show are you going to?

You making some great progress now Dan!

doodlebug
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Look's great Dan, hope your operator like his "scale 35 gallon soda":p:eek::D

Cheer's, Neil.

dabears
08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Man that dozer is sweet!!!! Cant wait to see that thing move! Awesome work!

D8R
08-31-2012, 01:16 AM
That looks so good, what show are you going to?

You making some great progress now Dan!

It´s called Jädersbruksdagarna in Arboga, a nice small exhibition of all different technical stuffs

D8R
09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Pics from this weekend

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0008.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0003-1.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0002-1.jpg

A short video can be seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZFjOQvypdc&feature=g-all-lik

Dan

modelman
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
D8R-model looks perfect to me(after you get the engine cover made). I think this is the best looking scratch built model I have seen. I have a question-On post#235-the-7th-picture down-what is the purpose of the small gear outside the planetary assembly:confused:

D8R
09-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks , yes the engine doors are parts to be done!
This is a part of the Warn assembly, it´s not neccesary. i didn´t want to change more than nedded on those parts, id they break it´s only to swap to new ones.
I only use this gear to transfer the torque out to side of hub reduction, have the same plate as you see on that pic mounted to the side but inside of reduction.
Will get a pic to show this.
Dan

D8R
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Her´s the pic showing why I have this gear. The gear assembly is a complete spare part, so are the inner gear ring to.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0080.jpg

Dan

liftmys10
09-21-2012, 09:22 PM
You have amazing talents! Keep up the awesome work!!!

izzzul
09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
superb build...quite dun believe it!! Great job Dan

Izzzul

D8R
11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
No update for some time now, just made some new pins to hold the blade and ripper to machine instead of ugly big bolts.
Muffler is finally ready with some fillings (steel wool) inside, hope to get it started within 2 weeks, so eager to see how the noise level is with this muffler.

Did do a trip to southern Germany to show at Friedrichshafen this year too, mainly to pick up some tools and details needed and of course vacation. Did also have a nice chat with Stefan (G990), a new friend found through this forum. :)

Some new machines (to me) was shown , see pics below.

Caterpillar dump truck 772
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0118-2.jpg

Cat ADT
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0119.jpg

2 realy nice Scania´s
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0132.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0131-1.jpg

Cat excavator
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0123.jpg

Working hydraulic hammer on that machine, smashing the concrete floor to smaller pieces
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0151.jpg

to be crushed with this working crusher, as you can see no paint on it, guess it was a prototype shown here
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0149.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0148-1.jpg

Scale Art did (ofcourse) showed their complete line of models, here a very nice Palfinger hydraulic crane
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0166.jpg

Their chassis are just wounderful, here a MAN heavy hauler
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0164-1.jpg

A new (for me atleast) manufacturer of nice models, ECM (see their home page www.ec-m.ch). They are quite expensive but looks like you get what you pay for. Since I´m a dozer guy, it looks like future is bright, there´s a D11T coming!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0152.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0155.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0160.jpg

And last, 2 pics showing some areas where models was shown
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0128.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0126-3.jpg

Dan