PDA

View Full Version : wheel to wheel width

sgt hopkins
06-10-2012, 02:00 PM
What is the outside width of the rear drive axles? I dont have any yet but I have started my build of a dump bed. I just want to make sure it is wide enough or not too wide.

Smokin Joe
06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm puttting together a set right now. Axles, tip to tip 160mm.

sgt hopkins
06-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey thanks Joe,... now to go measure

fhhhstix
06-10-2012, 05:15 PM
You need to make the bed at least 7 1/8 but 7 1/4 would be better. The overall distance from outside wheel to outside wheel is approximately 7 1/8 and you want the box to be a little wider.

Travis

sgt hopkins
06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
crapola... It is about 6 3/4"..... guess I get to redo or try and extend it somehow.... any ideas would be great... Its called dumptruck build..ish for pics...

Izzy
06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
I kinda like it as it is - sorta old school box on a newer rig kinda thing
but if your intent - split down the middle and add another layer to widen.

If your going to use a pivoting sub frame then you can use the problem your in to your advantage. Split the bed in two places - about 1" in from the edge on each side and then add a spacer between the cut pieces and the new floor, then you can help hide the the pivot frame . If your using a pivot frame then this is a waste of time.

sgt hopkins
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Awesome!! I never thought about cutting the middle. I was gonna try to make a new bottoma and just cap it from underneith and hope it was unnoticeable. I will use a pivot frame to raise the bed off of the wheels, but Im not sure I want to hide it. I kinda like being able to see it. thanks for the help Izzy! That sir is why this forum is great.