PDA

View Full Version : Adheisive advise

glorydays24
06-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Last night my wife and I were at our local wal-mart. And we were going past the craft section where I found some felt. I'm going to put this in the interior of the kiss truck. Now my question is what type of adheisive would be best for applying the felt to styrene? I know super glue gets hard when it sets up, and I think it will show where it is glued through the felt. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanx, Big John

bigford
06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
are you looking to glue the felt as carpet or for the seats?

mazdaparts
06-13-2012, 11:48 PM
You need 3m general trim spray adhesive. You should be able to get it at most auto parts stores.

glorydays24
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
are you looking to glue the felt as carpet or for the seats?

I'm planning on doing the walls, and maybe the floors and the cab/sleeper roofs.

You need 3m general trim spray adhesive. You should be able to get it at most auto parts stores.

Thanx, as long as it won't attack the plastic, I should be ok. I've never used this product, so is there any special prep?

Big John

Cossett
06-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Hi John I used water based craft glue when I did my seats it dried slower and allowed me to get nice fold lines with the material, the glue is easy cleaned of the paint brushes under warm soapy water..
Before you wrap the parts use some scrap pieces to test the glue/ fabric as different plastic's react differently..

Cheers Tracy

glorydays24
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi John I used water based craft glue when I did my seats it dried slower and allowed me to get nice fold lines with the material, the glue is easy cleaned of the paint brushes under warm soapy water..
Before you wrap the parts use some scrap pieces to test the glue/ fabric as different plastic's react differently..

Cheers Tracy

Thankyou Tracy, I know there are a lot of glues and things out there. And yes, I will definitely do a test before the work begins.;)

Big John

mazdaparts
06-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Here is the file from 3m website.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XM2L8T_EVuQE cuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=TDS_08074_P.pdf
Its safe for polystyrene foam, so I don't think it will hurt plastic at all.

glorydays24
06-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Here is the file from 3m website.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XM2L8T_EVuQE cuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=TDS_08074_P.pdf
Its safe for polystyrene foam, so I don't think it will hurt plastic at all.

Thanx buddy for the info.:);) I'm like you, and the way it reads, I don't think it will attack styrene.:p I may buy two or three different things just to see which works the best.:rolleyes: I'm on another mission...

Big John

scalelover
06-16-2012, 02:13 AM
The 3m adhesive works great with plastics, I use it when I wrap custom trim panels I make for 1:1 car interiors. I've used it on pretty much all types of material, abs plastic, styrene, fiberglass, poly resins, metal, etc etc etc. so you should be ok with it.

It can get messy when applying it so I'd recommend finding a test price and seeing how it goes for distance of spray and amount to apply. With this stuff a LITTLE goes a LONG way.

--Dan

glorydays24
06-16-2012, 07:07 PM
The 3m adhesive works great with plastics, I use it when I wrap custom trim panels I make for 1:1 car interiors. I've used it on pretty much all types of material, abs plastic, styrene, fiberglass, poly resins, metal, etc etc etc. so you should be ok with it.

It can get messy when applying it so I'd recommend finding a test price and seeing how it goes for distance of spray and amount to apply. With this stuff a LITTLE goes a LONG way.

--Dan

Thankyou Dan.:D That is good to know, and I have a large sheet of plastic you lay down for painting in the home. So over spray won't be a problem.;)

Big John