PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Irons which ones best?

dabears
06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Ok my soldering iron died this morning and before i head out to get a new one im curious to see what everyone else is using or finds better then another. Im looking to get a nice consistant iron that will perform right. There are many styles from the gun style, iron style, adjustable temp etc... Lets hear which ones you have used and which ones didnt work well. I want to buy one that can handle wires, brass, or anything im going to throw at it (sometimes literally) :)

pigeonfarmboy
06-24-2012, 11:58 AM
40w minimum. Having an adjustable station is a luxury, but you can get the job done faster and with a better quality result. You near the Fry's Electronics up there? Think it's in Downers Grove? They have a great selection.

dabears
06-24-2012, 12:30 PM
DG isnt too far from me i didnt even think about going there.... hmmm may have to take a trip there today :) I think i do want an adjustable station id rather go with a better one then i need now as in the future i may need those features and id rather already have a unit that can handle it..

is there a particular brand thats better then another? i liked the one you had PFB it warmed up quick and got the job done fast what brand is it?

bigford
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
weller soldering irons are the best in my book

pigeonfarmboy
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Mine is a weller. I'd stick with them or Hakko.

grumpygrady
06-24-2012, 04:21 PM
also think about a little pencil type butane gas torch , they are great for frames ,etc
about 3 bucks at HF
having one for wiring and another for heavier things is a must
and for real big heavy metal a cutting chisel and propane torch will make one just like they used back in the old time to solder tin and still do lol

SmallHaul
06-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Weller.

ihbuilder
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
O & A with a #6 tip heat up a pointy piece of steel till it's a nice cherry red and go to town :D JK :p werks though :D

Weller ;)

Larry
06-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I love Hakko FX-888.

dabears
06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
weller soldering irons are the best in my book
hmm

Mine is a weller. I'd stick with them or Hakko.
Thanks!

also think about a little pencil type butane gas torch , they are great for frames ,etc
about 3 bucks at HF
having one for wiring and another for heavier things is a must
and for real big heavy metal a cutting chisel and propane torch will make one just like they used back in the old time to solder tin and still do lol

i have a butane heat torch/soldering iron but im not happy about the consistancy of heat when doing 60 wires..

Weller.

Hmmm im going to have to look into a Weller it looks like..

O & A with a #6 tip heat up a pointy piece of steel till it's a nice cherry red and go to town :D JK :p werks though :D

Weller ;)

I was thinking about that.. it prob would work however i have not tried it yet. how long does it stay hot enough haha.. no really how long?

I love Hakko FX-888.

Ill have to look into that one too thanks!

sounds like people like the weller or Hakko so ill be looking into those! thanks guys!

Joat
06-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I have a weller wlc100 works well for years and $35 cant beat the price, I also have the hakko 936 , that ones is also very good ,if your not doing alot of IC's work go with the weller wlc100

dabears
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Mostly just doing LED wireing.. everynow and then brass to brass but usully use a torch for that

Joat
06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Mostly just doing LED wireing.. everynow and then brass to brass but usully use a torch for that

I'd go with the weller wlc100, unless your doing smt leds, but even then you cant beat the price of the wlc100
I think when I got mine sears was the cheapest? it's been years, a quick check on ebay is $50 and amazon is $44, google say $39 and up.

woodhog
06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
i have a hakko 936 , it has adjustable heat and in my oppinion is a nice soldering station:)

dabears
06-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Lots of options!! lol Thanks for all the input guys! Its a tough choice.

enginemiester
07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I purchaced a team check point soldering station two years ago and have never had a problem, and heats up very quickly

Joat
07-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I purchaced a team check point soldering station two years ago and have never had a problem, and heats up very quickly

Rebadged hakko 936, I was thinking of getting the new hakko fx, looks nice