PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Pump Motor Control Options

Lil Giants
09-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Lots of options for hydra motor control to conserve battery consumption.

Turn pump on/off via remote

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-BATTLSW1.html

This esc works great for tracked models, but you can also turn off the "mix" feature and run two motors seperately. I use this esc in my articulated dump trk to propel it for/rev and operate the hydra pump. If I were using a better radio I would "mix" the proportional channels of the valves with the hydra pump, but currently I'm using the ratchet stick to control hydra pump rpm manually.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-SABER2X10-RC.html

This is the "auto sense" that Nathan refers to. The slightless bit of movement of the vlaves for oil flow and the hydra pump activates, but you have to have the valves perfectly centered or the pump will never shut off. If I recall correctly, it's about 2 or 3 second delay with no valve movement before the hydra pump turns off.

http://www.leimbach-modellbau.de/start.html

(scroll down left header to LKW Zubehor and click Pumpenbaustein)

Here's a handy translator to read foreign sites.
http://translate.google.com/#de|en|

Hemi1966
09-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Servonaut BMA is very similar to what Leimbach offers.
http://www.tematik.de/servonaut/Produkte/Zubehor/BMA/bma.html
I have few of those in use. It works nice with Servonaut SMT soundmodule: when the hd-pump starts it will increase the engine revolutions like in the real thing. It will also make the engine sound like it´s under a load when the hd-cylinders move.

Thorsteenster
09-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice find on those ESC's! Robotics is a great source of parts for custom RC's.

Here's a link to the "auto sense"
http://www.leimbach-modellbau.de/Pumpenbaustein.html

Usually in sites like that you can open the link in a new tab and get the URL to paste.

Lil Giants
09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I have no experience with Servonaut, but have heard many good things of them, a much more refined electronic product for precise radio control... it's good to meet another who has Hemi1966, should I ever choose to aquire any of their products I won't have to learn any hard lessens while trying to decipher the german instructions. :)

Usually in sites like that you can open the link in a new tab and get the URL to paste.

Great tip, thanx Thor. :cool:

Espeefan
09-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Great information Joe. Glad you saw the other thread and posted all this!

dirtpusher9
09-12-2010, 04:08 PM
How would I wire up an ESC to the pump to shut it off when not in use? I'm more than likely going to need this option when I start pulling this 48 lb, scraper around.

JAMMER
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Joe wire it to a 3 way switch Ole told me that. Ed

JAMMER
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Joe I got a Servonaut S20 for the loader and it is in English how to hook it up. Ed

Lil Giants
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Wire the pump motor just the same as you would a drive motor for a track. Though I wouldn't connect the rx lead to a 3 pos switch ch on the radio b/c it would defeat the purpose of using an esc, might as well just use the battle switch relay instead, full on or full off.

On the radio, if you have a proportional dial switch, plug the pump esc into that ch so you can set the pump motor rpm's/rate of hyd flow to where you feel it works well for you. Or if you understand "dual rates" and your radio has that capability, then you can tune your pump to activate when a servo/valve is activated. Read the instructions that came with your radio thoroughly to figure out the dual rates option, it'll explain it much clearer than anyone here can.

dirtpusher9
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
So I would wire my pump power wires into the battle switch and then plug in the wire from the battle switch into what ever channel on the rx I was going to use to turn the pump on and off with, right? I do have duel rates on my radio, so I would tune it with that, correct? Remember Joe, my extent of electrical is turn the switch on, if that doesn't work I'm lost. lol

tracksntreadslou
09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Heres a vid of how it works...gona have to study my manual to see if i can give it a whirl...gone save an extra channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cju6hbueaOg

Lil Giants
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I thought you already had the battle switch Joe, no?

The battle switch is an on/off relay. To wire it in to turn pump on/off, splice into the negative wire between the pump and main switch (cut the wire in half) and place each bared end into the relay terminals. There's three terminals on this relay, you only use two of them. You can either turn on relay to activate/close electrical loop to turn on pump or you can use the other side so when you turn off relay, it closes electrical loop to turn on pump. Instructions come with it and they are very easy to follow. ;) Electronics is not my friend either, but even I can do this much. :D

If you wish to program your radio so your pump/valves work just like Ole's dozer, then you'll need to wire your electric pump motor to an esc for variable rate/proportional control. You can wire the pump's esc into the same exsisting battery that runs your dozer currently or from a seperate battery. If the esc has BEC capabilities, then just remove the red wire from the rx lead before installing into the receiver b/c your receiver is already getting power from your tracks esc.

You're going to St Louis in a few months, get your items together now to take with you and surely one of the guys there will know how to wire it up... if you really don't want to do it yourself, but it's really quite simple. :)

dirtpusher9
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I forgot I had wired it in back when I first built everything and took it out when trying to set the winch up. So all I had to do is hook it back up. I don't ever have to go in there except to charge the bat, so wasn't sure what was in there still. Thanks for the reply, Joe.

Blender
09-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I just played around with a radio mix from the valves to the pump rpm. That's a great way to set it up. I gave the pump a low idle around 10%, then moving the valves increases pump rpm as high as needed. My hydraulics run even cooler now and it sounds really neat.

I'm impressed.

fuzzy
02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
you gave my oneway esc something to do on my excavator pump thanks for tip

SmallHaul
04-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Joe, this is great info can you make it a sticky?

I missed it when I posted my pump question.:o

aseejr
04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Why would you use an ESC as opposed to a switch?

Albert

fhhhstix
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I asked the same question Albert. With an excavator or a model with hyd steer cyl's as long as you are using the model you are using the pump. To me it is also redundant to varie the speed of the pump as the spool is a variable control if the speed controller is linear with the servo movement then at a low input with a heavy load in a bucket you would not have the psi for fine control when a higher psi is still needed. On my track loader I use an rc on-off switch to shut the pump off if i want to take a break. Just my thoughts.

Travis

SmallHaul
04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Why would you use an ESC as opposed to a switch?

Albert

I think it might be better for the pump if it is running slowly when it goes to full power than to just turn all all the time from a dead stop.

fhhhstix
04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I think it might be better for the pump if it is running slowly when it goes to full power than to just turn all all the time from a dead stop.

Full sized equipment recommend full rpm for full pump out put as to not starve the hyd components and also not to over demand the pump. I would think the same hyd principles would apply to our stuff as well and if it is a heat issue you are concerned about a hyd cooler is a cheaper and more effective solution.

Travis

iaindunn
04-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi All just joined.
If any one fancies a roll your own pump switch based on a 12f675 pic and a fet then I can post the code and schematics. The dead band can be easily programmed and the delay time to the pump switch off. The one I have in my excavator works great on 4 hydraulic channels

Iain UK

doodlebug
04-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Hey Iain, Welcome aboard! Please share your info on the pump controler, New way's to do thing's are alway's appreciated here!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

egronvold
04-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Same reply as in another thread: As for the Leimbach system, it seems there's little difference in strength when it comes to the pump's speed. Here's a little test I did yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNTPp1g4pE

iaindunn
04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
If you look at performance graphs for gear pumps the faster they rotate the greater volume they move which overcomes the internal leakage more and more.
However like most things there is a compromise and they will consume more and more power as they do this.

iaindunn
04-24-2011, 01:25 PM
hi all
here is the asm code for a pump switch as used in my excavator for a couple of years. Works on a 12f675 pic. I'll try and post a link to video of it working soon.

;=============================================
; written by Iain Dunn
; 2 August 2010 revision release
; version 1.2 PCB EXPRESSPCB main revised3
; file saved as pumpswitch675.asm
; for 12f675
; int clock 4MHz

;==============================================
; Description,3 or 4 channel inputs for pump control
; via 1 fet 19N10.
; Input 4 not programmed yet
;
; |----||----|
; | 100n |
; 5v--|-------|----0V
; NC----|12f675 |----in2 GP0
;GP4pumpout----| |----in1 GP1
; GP3 in4----|-------|----in3 GP2
;
List P=12f675 ; define processor
#INCLUDE <p12f675.inc> ; processor specific definitions

;================================================= =================
;configuration
;no data protect
;no code protect
;no brown out reset
;no MCLR pin function
;power up timer disabled
;Watchdog timer enabled
;oscillator INTOSC with no CLKOUT

__config _CP_OFF & _CPD_OFF & _BODEN_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _WDT_ON & _PWRTE_ON & _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT

errorlevel -302 ;suppress error 302

radix dec ;everything in decimal
;unless indicated

;========== constants========================================= ============

;GPIO,1 chan1 GPIO,3 chan 2 all rest outputs

#define INPUT_1 1
#define INPUT_2 0
#define INPUT_3 2
#define PUMPOUT GPIO,4
#define minpulse 80
#define lowon 140
#define highon 160
#define maxpulse 220
#define OFFDLAY 20 ; delays switching off pump
#define TisBits (1<<INPUT_1)|(1<<INPUT_2)|(1<<INPUT_3)
;========Notes==================================== ========================

;pulses must be larger than 0.8ms to be valid and less than 2.2ms
;The switching limits are
;1.55 ms upper off 1550us
;1.45 ms lower off 1450us

;==========Variables============================== =======================
cblock 0x20

CHAN_1 ; channel 1 width
CHAN_2 ; channel 2 width
CHAN_3 ; channel 3 width
ARM_PULSES ; stores arm pulse count
ARM_1 ; channel 1 arm pulse count
ARM_2 ; channel 2 arm pulse count
ARM_3 ; channel 3 arm pulse count
Dlay
Dlay_outer
Dlay_inner
OffCount ; delays pump switch off for 1/2 second

endc
;=========Declarations============================ =======================

org 0 ;first instruction to be executed

goto START

;========Initilizations=========================== =======================

INIT clrf GPIO ;clear all outputs for now
bsf STATUS, RP0 ; bank 1
call 3FFh ;call osc calibration
movwf OSCCAL
movlw b'1001010' ;WDT scale 1:4 gives around 72ms
movwf OPTION_REG ;before reset
movlw TisBits ;GPIO 2,3,5 input GPIO,0,1,4 output
movwf TRISIO
clrf ANSEL
bcf STATUS, RP0 ;bank 0
movlw b'00000111' ;turn off comparator
movwf CMCON ;digital i/o
clrf T1CON ;turn off timer 1
clrf ADCON0

return

;========== Start of main outer loop of program ===============================

START call INIT
clrf GPIO
clrf CHAN_1 ;
clrf CHAN_2
clrf CHAN_3
movlw OFFDLAY
movwf OffCount
movlw 50
movwf ARM_PULSES
clrwdt
;========== wait for 25 valid pulses to arm =====================

ARMING
clrf ARM_1
clrf ARM_2
clrf ARM_3
btfss GPIO,INPUT_1
goto $-1

ARMLOOP_1 incf ARM_1,f
btfss GPIO,INPUT_1
b ARM2
nop
b $+1
b $+1
b ARMLOOP_1

ARM2 btfss GPIO,INPUT_2
goto $-1

ARMLOOP_2 incf ARM_2,f
btfss GPIO,INPUT_2
b ARM3
nop
b $+1
b $+1
b ARMLOOP_2

ARM3 btfss GPIO,INPUT_3
goto $-1

ARMLOOP_3 incf ARM_3,f
btfss GPIO,INPUT_3
b PULSE_1
nop
b $+1
b $+1
b ARMLOOP_3

PULSE_1 movlw lowon
subwf ARM_1,w ; ARM_1-lowon(148)
bnc ARMING
movlw highon
subwf ARM_1,w ; ARM_1-highon(152)
bc ARMING

PULSE_2 movlw lowon
subwf ARM_2,w ; ARM_2-lowon(148)
bnc ARMING
movlw highon
subwf ARM_2,w ; ARM_2-highon(152)
bc ARMING

PULSE_3 movlw lowon
subwf ARM_3,w ; ARM_3-lowon(148)
bnc ARMING
movlw highon
subwf ARM_3,w ; ARM_3-highon(152)
bc ARMING

VALID_NEUTRAL
clrwdt
decfsz ARM_PULSES,f
goto ARMING

;========= now armed beep from both motors ==========================================
movlw 10
movwf Dlay_outer
clrf Dlay_inner

PWM_LOOP clrwdt
bsf PUMPOUT
movlw 10
movwf Dlay
decfsz Dlay,f
goto $-1
clrf GPIO
movlw 100
movwf Dlay
decfsz Dlay,f
goto $-1
decfsz Dlay_inner,f
goto PWM_LOOP
decfsz Dlay_outer,f
goto PWM_LOOP
clrf GPIO ;turn motors off

;========= Wait for channel pulses to start =========================================

RCIN1 clrf CHAN_1
btfss GPIO,INPUT_1
b $-1
LOOP_1 incf CHAN_1,f
btfss GPIO,INPUT_1
b RCIN2
nop
b $+1
b $+1
b LOOP_1

RCIN2 clrf CHAN_2
btfss GPIO,INPUT_2
b $-1
LOOP_2 incf CHAN_2,f
btfss GPIO,INPUT_2
b RCIN3
nop
b $+1
b $+1
b LOOP_2

RCIN3 clrf CHAN_3
btfss GPIO,INPUT_3
b $-1
LOOP_3 incf CHAN_3,f
btfss GPIO,INPUT_3
b PROCESS_IN_1
nop
b $+1
b $+1
b LOOP_3

;==========process the channel timings ====================================

PROCESS_IN_1
clrwdt
movlw minpulse
subwf CHAN_1,w ; CHAN_1-minpulse(80)
bnc PROCESS_IN_2
movlw maxpulse
subwf CHAN_1,w ; CHAN_1-maxpulse(220)
bc PROCESS_IN_2
movlw lowon
subwf CHAN_1,w ; CHAN_1-lowon(145)
bnc PUMP_ON
movlw highon
subwf CHAN_1,w ; CHAN_1-highon(155)
bc PUMP_ON

PROCESS_IN_2

movlw minpulse
subwf CHAN_2,w ; CHAN_2-minpulse(80)
bnc PROCESS_IN_3
movlw maxpulse
subwf CHAN_2,w ; CHAN_2-maxpulse(220)
bc PROCESS_IN_3
movlw lowon
subwf CHAN_2,w ; CHAN_2-lowon(145)
bnc PUMP_ON
movlw highon
subwf CHAN_2,w ; CHAN_2-highon(155)
bc PUMP_ON
PROCESS_IN_3

movlw minpulse
subwf CHAN_3,w ; CHAN_3-minpulse(80)
bnc RCIN1
movlw maxpulse
subwf CHAN_3,w ; CHAN_3-maxpulse(220)
bc RCIN1
movlw lowon
subwf CHAN_3,w ; CHAN_3-lowon(145)
bnc PUMP_ON
movlw highon
subwf CHAN_3,w ; CHAN_3-highon(155)
bc PUMP_ON

PUMP_OFF
decfsz OffCount,f
b RCIN1
bcf PUMPOUT
movlw OFFDLAY
movwf OffCount
b RCIN1

PUMP_ON bsf PUMPOUT
movlw OFFDLAY
movwf OffCount
b RCIN1

;============End programme ================================================== ========

return
END

iaindunn
04-25-2011, 05:20 AM
Hi again. just thought I would include a pic of my control board amd circuit diagram. This has 3 speed controllers and the hydraulic pump switch on it. The pump switch is good to about 4 amps without heatsink but can go up to 12 amps with a heatsink.
The pump switch is the bottom PIC chip. Not sure if the diagram will be big enough as an attachment.

rc_farmer
04-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Is the pump all you can run off this board?

iaindunn
04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
No the board has 3 escs' on board as well, 1 for slew and 2 for track motors and a 5v supply .

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo206/iaindunn/hymaccontrolboard.jpg

Espeefan
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Full sized equipment recommend full rpm for full pump out put as to not starve the hyd components and also not to over demand the pump. I would think the same hyd principles would apply to our stuff as well and if it is a heat issue you are concerned about a hyd cooler is a cheaper and more effective solution.

Travis

I would guess that like most things in life, there are always exceptions. Since the hydraulic pumps are coupled to the engine, it's not uncommon for the pump RPM to vary all the time too. Look at a wheel loader, for example. Lots of driving forward and backing up. In between, steering when the engine is winding down, or at idle, and lifting or dumping the bucket. Pump (oil flow) output varies quite a bit. Now something like a back-hoe or an excavator is a totally different story. Maybe even a skid-steer, but the demand for hydraulic flow on a machine that is constantly moving, and uses hydraulic motors for the drivetrain also, actually needs good flow, and maximium pump output. Then we also could consider the variable displacement hydraulic pumps, that put out more flow, when it is demanded, regardless of engine RPM.

So I would think on a small scale model there is no reason why the pump can't be throttled back to reduce heat, and increase battery life. Sounds like a win win situation to me. Heat is the worst enemy for a hydraulic system, next to oil contamination. Yes, you could put a heat exchanger on any hydraulic system, but on a scale model, it would be easier and cheaper to throttle back the pump, or shut it off completely.

Out in industry, where I work, we are starting to see some hydraulic pumps run with electric motors, and variable frequency motor drives, which throttle the motor and pump RPM back, when the flow is not needed. The worst is when an operator walks away from a machine and leaves it running. The oil is constantly going over the relief valve and the motor is drawing more power in doing so, while also heating up the oil for the next few hours. Yes, the heat exchangers cool the oil too, but it is still getting warmer then it normally would, if the machine is cycling.

fhhhstix
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Nate the cooler and fan are under $30 so I would say it is probably a little cheaper than a speed controller. To me it just seams like a wast of money and time to deal with a simple issue.

Travis

doodlebug
04-25-2011, 08:57 PM
One thing to consider, the newer John Deere excavator's with "Power Wise" do speed up and slow down depending on hydraulic load. Sound's weird to hear them speed up under heavier load, maybe 2-300 rpm. My neighbor has a 160 Deere, that doe's it. And yes this is separate from the "auto idle" function.

egronvold
04-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Nate the cooler and fan are under $30 so I would say it is probably a little cheaper than a speed controller. To me it just seams like a wast of money and time to deal with a simple issue.

Travis

You can get a suitable ESC for $8 :) But you do need a radio with at least 2 free mixes.

iaindunn
04-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Here is a link to short video showing my excavator running with my control board. I have it programmed so when all sticks are neutral hydraulic pumo will switch off after 2 seconds. Hope you find it useful. If you want further details of this board and how to build program one let me know and I'll post otherwise I'll assume it's of no interest. ;)
Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaDPkz3Z5JA

Car5858
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Here is a link to short video showing my excavator running with my control board. I have it programmed so when all sticks are neutral hydraulic pumo will switch off after 2 seconds. Hope you find it useful. If you want further details of this board and how to build program one let me know and I'll post otherwise I'll assume it's of no interest. ;)
Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaDPkz3Z5JA

:cool: looks and works great.

You can get a suitable ESC for $8 :) But you do need a radio with at least 2 free mixes.

The cooler needs to be on a sperate circut, with its own circ pump. This is the way I have seen them set up. Allowing independent operation will allow the hyd oil to be cooled when the main pump is in shut down mode.

pugs
04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
A cooler could easily be set up with just the one pump. Placed in the return to tank line from the control valve block and with a low psi bypass around it.

doodlebug
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey Iain, thank's for sharing the controller info, over my head, but still neat!

tfmacz
04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Iain
is is possible you could share the pic hex files for both the H-Bridge drive pics and the pump switch pic.

I can program pic's and a couple local guys would like to play with you design.

Thanks for sharing

Hi again. just thought I would include a pic of my control board amd circuit diagram. This has 3 speed controllers and the hydraulic pump switch on it. The pump switch is good to about 4 amps without heatsink but can go up to 12 amps with a heatsink.
The pump switch is the bottom PIC chip. Not sure if the diagram will be big enough as an attachment.

iaindunn
04-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Would you prefer the assembler as you then play around with it in mplab ?
I have posted the assembler for the pump switch above:
Below is the speed control based on microchips simple esc desigen but rewritten to give forward and reverse. The track motor controls are on one 12f675 and are simply forward and reverse for both run off toggle switches on my trasnmitter. I did do a 2 speed version but didn't gain much from it:

Any questions just ask.

Iain

tfmacz
04-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I am looking to take some shortcuts to start with. So If you have the .hex binary files would save me some time initially. I use Eagle for pcb design and I make prototype pcb's on a small cnc mill built for the purpose.
I have your schematic diagram, could you post an image of the copper side of the pcb? It will save me some layout time.
I don't currently have mplab installed anywhere.

Looks like I will have to rebuild my development box.
Thanks for all your help.
Ted

Would you prefer the assembler as you then play around with it in mplab ?
I have posted the assembler for the pump switch above:
Below is the speed control based on microchips simple esc desigen but rewritten to give forward and reverse. The track motor controls are on one 12f675 and are simply forward and reverse for both run off toggle switches on my trasnmitter. I did do a 2 speed version but didn't gain much from it:

Any questions just ask.

Iain

fhhhstix
04-28-2011, 10:27 PM
I would guess that like most things in life, there are always exceptions. Since the hydraulic pumps are coupled to the engine, it's not uncommon for the pump RPM to vary all the time too. Look at a wheel loader, for example. Lots of driving forward and backing up. In between, steering when the engine is winding down, or at idle, and lifting or dumping the bucket. Pump (oil flow) output varies quite a bit. Now something like a back-hoe or an excavator is a totally different story. Maybe even a skid-steer, but the demand for hydraulic flow on a machine that is constantly moving, and uses hydraulic motors for the drivetrain also, actually needs good flow, and maximium pump output. Then we also could consider the variable displacement hydraulic pumps, that put out more flow, when it is demanded, regardless of engine RPM.

So I would think on a small scale model there is no reason why the pump can't be throttled back to reduce heat, and increase battery life. Sounds like a win win situation to me. Heat is the worst enemy for a hydraulic system, next to oil contamination. Yes, you could put a heat exchanger on any hydraulic system, but on a scale model, it would be easier and cheaper to throttle back the pump, or shut it off completely.

Out in industry, where I work, we are starting to see some hydraulic pumps run with electric motors, and variable frequency motor drives, which throttle the motor and pump RPM back, when the flow is not needed. The worst is when an operator walks away from a machine and leaves it running. The oil is constantly going over the relief valve and the motor is drawing more power in doing so, while also heating up the oil for the next few hours. Yes, the heat exchangers cool the oil too, but it is still getting warmer then it normally would, if the machine is cycling.

Thanks for the explanation.:rolleyes: Yes I did take offence!

I work for the CAT Rental Store and work on all kinds of hyd systems by a lot of different manufactures JLG, Broderson, LULL, Bell, Trail King, and the list goes on but hay my boss will be glad you explained to me how it works.

All I am saying is why over complicate some thing you can take care of with a cheap switch or cooler.:cool:

$8 esc shipped from where and will last how long and who warranties it.:)

Travis

Espeefan
04-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the explanation.:rolleyes: Yes I did take offence!

I work for the CAT Rental Store and work on all kinds of hyd systems by a lot of different manufactures JLG, Broderson, LULL, Bell, Trail King, and the list goes on but hay my boss will be glad you explained to me how it works.

Travis

Travis, I know you work for a Cat Rental Store. Relax. I'm not out to bust your chops. If that's what you think the purpose of my post was, I apologize. I was just making a point that pump speeds and outputs vary all the time, so why not do it with a model too. Given the choice, I'd throttle back the pump, AND have a heat exchanger, but if you only do one, I'd throttle back or turn off the pump altogether. Reduce the current draw, and save wear on the components. That's just my opinion. Everybody has one. You don't have to accept or like them, nor take offense to them. I'm just saying....

egronvold
04-29-2011, 02:30 AM
$8 esc shipped from where and will last how long and who warranties it.:)

Sold at hobbyking; Turnigy 30A (not including shipping). It's quite small, which is good since space is often limited. I think a ESC is a good option in loaders and ATDs, but in an excavator you might as well go for an on/off switch.

My two main reasons for using ESC/ switch are not to have to listen to the awful sound of the hydpump when full flow is not necessary and to avoid unnecessary draw of current.

Many may think there's a delay in the hydraulic functions when using ESC/ switch, but there really is not. You can save a lot of AMPs just learning to operate machines with hydraulic steering by just driving "smart" --> less battery changes = more fun :D

It would also be cool to change the counterweight on the trackloader to a heatsink with a fan. That would be almost as "the real ting" I guess.

iaindunn
04-29-2011, 02:51 AM
I am looking to take some shortcuts to start with. So If you have the .hex binary files would save me some time initially. I use Eagle for pcb design and I make prototype pcb's on a small cnc mill built for the purpose.
I have your schematic diagram, could you post an image of the copper side of the pcb? It will save me some layout time.
I don't currently have mplab installed anywhere.

Looks like I will have to rebuild my development box.
Thanks for all your help.
Ted
No worries Ted.I'll dig ou the hex files and my layout over the weekend and post here.

Iain

fhhhstix
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
It would also be cool to change the counterweight on the trackloader to a heatsink with a fan. That would be almost as "the real ting" I guess.

Izzy and I talked about it and it would be cool but I felt it was a bit unnecessary for a toy. Right now with my loader set up it will run for 45-60 min on a battery and that is fine with me. As for the esc yes it has a good purpose but I like to keep things simple and it also give newcomers a simpler way to do things till they get to know their equipment and radios.:):cool:

Travis

Juganought
04-30-2011, 10:13 AM
When there is not a lot new, I tend to read these posts. You guys have too much talent:D but I draw the line here....Izzy and I talked about it and it would be cool but I felt it was a bit unnecessary for a toy. Toy!!!! how dare you Travis:) No toys in my house.. except baby boys stuff.

iaindunn
05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
No worries Ted.I'll dig ou the hex files and my layout over the weekend and post here.

Iain
Hi Ted could you pm me and I'll send over files. I use express pcb for layput and schematic and not sure how to post thos here.
I

tfmacz
05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Ted could you pm me and I'll send over files. I use express pcb for layput and schematic and not sure how to post thos here.
I
Hi Iain
I think you should be able to attach the files like any other file. Like when you attached the .txt files for the source listings.

I sent you my email address in a PM. The Express PCB files might be useful, My buddy has used that in the past.
Cheers..
Ted

iaindunn
05-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi Iain
I think you should be able to attach the files like any other file. Like when you attached the .txt files for the source listings.

I sent you my email address in a PM. The Express PCB files might be useful, My buddy has used that in the past.
Cheers..
Ted

Just pm'd you the files

Iain

tfmacz
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Just pm'd you the files

Iain

Got them. Thanks.