PDA

View Full Version : Accessories

SonoranWraith
07-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Somehow started working on the idea to make scale boxes because my son thought it would be fun. It wasn't. ;) The idea was individual boxes to scale instead of one large one made to look like many. I will be trying the latter after many hours devoted to these *&^% boxes. My son loves them on his forklift though.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss85/ludes98/Building-Accessories/P1020033.jpg

I made a template in excel to print lines for cutting/folding that end up on the inside. Then flip and print whatever you want for the outside. You can kill a tree testing layouts since the front and back won't print exactly the same even if it is the exact same layout in mirror for the outside. At least it didn't for me since I am not a professional printer. :D I added some barcodes and some print at 3pt thank you laser printer:

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss85/ludes98/Building-Accessories/P1020037.jpg

The paper we had laying around which partly inspired the idea but I used calipers to check different grocery and retail store paper bags and they work too. The boxes would be too light empty, so I cut down some scrap mdf for some weight in the bottom and used some foam to fill them out. I could stack pounds on these things now. The weight is enough to keep them from falling all over the place but not so heavy that POS yale forklifts can lift it. I went ahead and shrink wrapped it too.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss85/ludes98/Building-Accessories/P1020034.jpg

glorydays24
07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I think you did a fine job on the boxes.:) Look's very nice.:);):cool:

Big John

Autocar
07-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Actually I think that might work to your advantage, I've been working in a wharehouse for over 10 years and hardly ever seen boxes printed in the exact same spot close though, but then again I've seen them rightside up on one side and upside down on the other. the misconception of the printer could add some realism to the whole deal.

SonoranWraith
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks. I worked in warehouse pulling parts for production over 15 years ago but I can't remember box sizes that filled a pallet well. It was for a point of sale machine company, so I pulled millions of buttons, but the boxes were so small. For this project I just tried to make some that fit. :)

fhhhstix
07-12-2012, 09:13 PM
The boxes look fantastic and I admire a parent like you that would take that much time and effort for a project with your son.

Travis

spudd
07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Outstanding. Will you be my dad!!!
LOL

sandfarmer
10-06-2012, 06:40 PM
The effort payed off but I bet it was PAIN lol!

tbtrucking104customs
10-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Thats cool you should try making some Wells Blue Bunny ones

Christo
12-13-2012, 12:48 PM
These look so good. If you don't mind I might have to make some myself. I'm so close on hitting the buy it now on a Carson forklift. You made me press the button ;)

SonoranWraith
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
These look so good. If you don't mind I might have to make some myself. I'm so close on hitting the buy it now on a Carson forklift. You made me press the button ;)

Congrats. Cargo moving is one of my favorite RC activities but I do it with POS New Ray. I am going to pull the trigger on a Robbe someday.:)

ptebbe
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
The recipient of those boxes marked Cisco and AC Delco are going to be pretty disappointed with what's inside...