PDA

View Full Version : Polishing

dabears
07-31-2012, 01:02 AM
So i have polished both side rails and one side of my flatbed front plate, but i still keep getting little black smudges that dont really buff out, or if they do i get a hazy look... for the most part its pretty clode to mirror finish, i started with 150grit then did 220, 330, 400, 500 ,660, 1200, 1500, then 2000 wet sanding the last 3 grits im using the green, white and brown polish and a 2 sided grinding wheel setup, medium pad on one side and soft cloth pad on the other..... its getting to me cause i have seen some really good finishes but i can get close but not there. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I even tried useing that "mothers" crap polish hazed it even more then had to run it thru the wheels again...:confused::confused:

JAMMER
07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Try some Zephyr Pro 40 metal polish I use that with a dipper and polish by hand after the wheel works great. I get my Zephyr from the truck stop.Ed

Tamiya Cowboy
07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Zephyr is the best by far if you can find it. It's tuff to find in my area other wise the tride and proven trucker polish CA pupler polish.

dabears
07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
This stuff??
https://www.zephyrpro40.com/s2/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=77

If so im gonna order some!

Stylin n profilin
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
l....hands down to me is the California Custom..purple polish....:D:D:D
That's all I use on my rc's and the 1:1 show baby....

woodhog
07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
I use purple polish also,one thing to try is wash with dawn dishwasher liquid after you are done buffing this will take the black smudges out

dabears
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys! Ill have to try the bath after the buffing too. of course i was doing the other side and re hazed the original side i did yesterday.. so it will be ran through again but ill give it all a good bath afterwards! Thanks guys!

Stylin n profilin
07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Heck with the bath afterwards.....after your done using the buffing wheel and you put on polish by hand to clean it up...the rag your going to wipe off the polish with..put a pinch of flour on the rag.....it removes all the polish and all the black.....Old school trick from way back...nothing better...trust me...:D:D:eek:

ihbuilder
07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Heck with the bath afterwards.....after your done using the buffing wheel and you put on polish by hand to clean it up...the rag your going to wipe off the polish with..put a pinch of flour on the rag.....it removes all the polish and all the black.....Old school trick from way back...nothing better...trust me...:D:D:eek:

NOW YOU TELL :confused:

dabears
08-01-2012, 12:53 AM
NOW YOU TELL :confused:

Better late then never I suppose!

Thanks for the tip i'm gonna try it!

spudd
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
John your showing your age!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Dreamweaver
08-04-2012, 12:51 AM

Just one thing better John... Baby powder. But either work great.

dabears
08-15-2012, 12:44 AM
just re polished the front plate for the flatbed (on both sides) and i used the flour trick and it worked out nicely!! Thanks for the tip!!