PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel servo noise

Supermario
08-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Hello all , I have a question about a buzzing sound coming from the 5th wheel servo. With truck powered and no matter if I'm in 5th wheel mode or horn mode, the servo is buzzing. No movement in the arm, just the sound. Is this normal?

Thanks
Mario

Ohhh, it's a Futaba 3000 I think. Just a generic nothing special servo

Snochaser
08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Can you adjust the trim or the end point to take any unneeded " pressure" of the servo? That may be the cause of the noise.

Ben

dabears
08-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Out of curiosity did you disconnect the arm and see where it centers itself? May just be able to adjust trim, may need to re center the horn on the servo?

Supermario
08-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys, now that you ask about centering I noticed something. With the truck shut off the servo arm has a position it sits in. When powered up the servo moves slightly to a new position and when in 5th wheel mode it moves again a little closer to the end of hole in the deck plate. I had centered the arm on initial start up but had never cycled through the functions. I think I will try centering the arm while in 5th wheel mode and see what happens.

Thanks guys

Mario

Supermario
08-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Servo buzzing was caused by..... 5th wheel micro switch jamming! I was testing the function and realized why is there no latching and unlatching sound when couple the trailer? So the servo looked fine, no interference or binding but was actually just squeezing the trailer pin which was stopped by the micro switch lever. Took it apart, cleaned and lube. Works fine now.
For some reason, something tells me I've read about guys cursing that switch on this site??? Any other system available out there to replace this style of switch?

Thanks for input guys

Mario

dabears
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't have the 5th wheel switch or motorized leg Kit so this helps me later on when I add them! I just cut a plug and twisted the wires together. Not sure if it works that way with the leg Kit.

Supermario
08-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Aaron, Ohhh man, you will love being able to hook and un hook your trailer hands free! You have a beautiful flat deck just begging for motor legs.... :D:D. As far as I know , the only purpose for 5th wheel switch is for motor power delivery and the latching sound effect. Not the operation of the servo or legs. I kinda like the sound , it tells me the trailer is hitched and ready to go but if it acts up again, I'm gonna do like you and just pigtail the #*}*{]?%
Lol

Mario

dabears
08-06-2012, 11:28 PM
LOL its on the wish list! but by the time i order one im going to need like 3 of them. once the truck is complete i plan on buying a set for the flatbed, unless i see a deal somewhere then ill buy sooner. :)