PDA

View Full Version : its time to build! please, your help.

Speedy
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I am a fulltime student and am playing with metal on my lathe and mill.
currently making a inline twin nitro engine.

this membership is full of creative members with allot of skills

what I would love to do is build a excavator or loader (tracked or wheeled)
but I lack the creativity or know how to design one at the moment.

any members here have plans for me? drawings anything (traced out parts on paper)

hopefully the membership can get me off in the right direction :)

ps. not asking for charity but if anyone has parts they no longer need or use that can also help me out.

kindest regards
Michael

pumptech
08-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Hey Speedy
good to hear your ready to build !
Are you looking to build a hydraulic ran ,electric linear ram model
,if electric the Bruders make a good base to start with ,beef up parts with metal or use for templates to make parts .
`

Speedy
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
hi Pumptech,
I may need to do just that but my heart was set on making a hydraulic model.

just need someone that has plans and is willing to help me out.

out of everything I think a wheel loader would be simplest. tracked close second.

carp
08-23-2012, 07:09 PM
what model are you going to build? you should decide and also in what scale then go to the manufacturers website download the brochure then use the scale calc website http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm to convert the measurements, for my boom and arm i zoomed the picture in the brochure to the right size then put some paper on the screen and traced round it.

rc_farmer
08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi and welcome to the board.....as have been stated above, u should decide on which model u want to build. As fas as anyone having plans to share.......that is prolly not going to happen, not because we dont want to share, but becasue we dont have plans-per-say. Usually a scratch builider will start with something they have lying around the shop, i.e wheels (usually the hardest thing to find) and build from there......find a set of 3-view drawings, enlarge the drawings to fit the wheels and fillin the other details while building the model. The members here are more than willing to advise, but u will have to decide how scale u want ur model to be. This is just constructive information, :D

RCP57
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
what model are you going to build? you should decide and also in what scale then go to the manufacturers website download the brochure then use the scale calc website http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm to convert the measurements, for my boom and arm i zoomed the picture in the brochure to the right size then put some paper on the screen and traced round it.

Hey, You copy cat... Great minds think alike!:p

Speedy
08-23-2012, 10:42 PM
appreciating all these replys :)

any webpages I can use to find models?

rc_farmer
08-24-2012, 09:31 AM
There are models of all sorts all over the web and at local dealerships, but first U must determine:

What model would U like to build?

What material do U have experience working with? (alum, woord, iron, brass)

Do U have any building experience at all?

How simply or complex do U want the model to be.

Once U figure some of these things, then we can help u further with ur project on where to find what ur looking for.

Where are u located?

Speedy
08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
again. im open to any model as stated in post #3.

have a sherline mill, taig lathe and sieg x2 mill at home.
also have access to a bridgeport type mill and a harrison lathe

have worked with allot of different materials

building experience is just improving, novice more or less.
but usually am able to jump hurdles in a speedy manner.

ihbuilder
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
again. im open to any model as stated in post #3.

have a sherline mill, taig lathe and sieg x2 mill at home.
also have access to a bridgeport type mill and a harrison lathe

have worked with allot of different materials

building experience is just improving, novice more or less.
but usually am able to jump hurdles in a speedy manner.

Speedy , the most important part of building is , YOU decide what YOU want . no body can tell YOU that . The way I look at it , if someone were to tell me to build XYZ , I may loose interest in a short time . I've been in the planning stages of a 385CL cat mass excavator for at least a year . I've just cut 1 part for it a month ago . I suggest you spend some google time with some equipment manufacturers .

Madda
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I've been drawing now for 2 months, this is how far I am at the moment:

http://www.upload.ee/image/2630710/Capture.PNG

http://www.upload.ee/image/2630717/Capture2.PNG

I model everything: Screws, bearings, gears, chains; then I know in the beginning how much do I need what. I take all the models from maedler, they don't look very good but they give me the right dimensions so I can fit them into my model.

I think I need two more months. Model is CAT 390 DL.

Speedy
08-27-2012, 10:38 PM
amazing work! :D

mcraig79
08-30-2012, 09:23 PM
i can probably help u out with some dwg files. its for a basic excavator

Speedy
09-05-2012, 10:54 PM
hi mcraig79
sounds good will send you a private message.
:)

doodlebug
09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey Speedy, DraftSight is a free dwg reading software.
Cheer's, Neil.

Speedy
09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
:D thanks Doodlebug I will check that out :)

Pricer
08-13-2015, 07:55 AM
I agree with many of the comments. You must decide specifically what you want to build. I have invested 10 months is planning, deciding and learning to scratch build a model of a Terex American HC230 Crane.