PDA

View Full Version : Best speaker replacement

dabears
08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Has anyone used a smaller speaker for your mfu? The stock one just doesn't work size wise for me. I want to use smaller one (or even 2 if need be) I can make new box for it. I know someone has had to if changed it. What did you use? I'm looking to mount it behind my grill on the globe and still have room for my motor. Stock one is too big! I need something that won't pop or crackle with higher volume, or sound like garbage.
Thanks in advanced and the smaller the better!

Stuart
08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I've seen people use computer speakers before, cheap and readily available, I not sure about impedance and wattage though.
Stu

PRminitrucker
01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Hey dabears I was just thinking the same thing . I tried to make a dog house to fit over the speaker but it didn't work out , so I mounted it behind the seats in the cab but it looks crappie though. I remember in my train days a guy at the club I was in said to check out a site called tonys train exchange for g scale sound modules and speakers , well I went to the site and they have a oval one that's shorter but has 8 ohms impendce and my mfu one says 4. I have no idea if I could adapt it to the Mfu . Does anybody know if this can be done?

Hotwheels
01-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I ordered a Servonaut SMX module from Ric at Garden Trucking today. I saw where you mentioned you need a speaker that will fit behind grill. He includes a speaker of that size when you purchase a MPX module from him. Don't know if he will sell one of those speakers separate or if it will fit behind grill on Globe Liner, it does fit King Hauler behind grill and I believe it is 4ohm. Hope this helps.
Lou

dabears
01-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Depends on what the specs are. I have been trying a lot of speakers. Including computer speakers from computers, cars, headphones, suround sound. I found one that was decent but not at high volume.... So im still working on it. I tried the SMX speaker as i bought one from Scale Art to try buy it didnt do what i was looking for.

YoungGunz
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Aaron, what exactly are you trying to achieve with the smaller speaker? I know we have discussed this previously and I am no expert, but I would think that with larger diameter speakers you are going to get that deeper tone that you want. Maybe running a smaller speaker behind the grill for the forward projection, then running another larger speaker in the bunk or between the frame for the lower tone. I don't think you are going to find a tiny speaker that has that deep tone and is able to create quality sound at the level you want it too.

dabears
01-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Aaron, what exactly are you trying to achieve with the smaller speaker? I know we have discussed this previously and I am no expert, but I would think that with larger diameter speakers you are going to get that deeper tone that you want. Maybe running a smaller speaker behind the grill for the forward projection, then running another larger speaker in the bunk or between the frame for the lower tone. I don't think you are going to find a tiny speaker that has that deep tone and is able to create quality sound at the level you want it too.

Yea thats what i figured out lol i wanted to put the speaker in the grill on the globe to save some room for other stuff but it make it sound like crap. So i put the stock sound box back in for now. Or atleast until i can figure out a box of some sort that can produce the sound with a smaller speaker. Yea you and me talked about it before, nothing new on the progress of it other then testing other speakers and same result. May just have to cut the night box to form a doghouse over the motor and remain sealed and cram that in there ;) i think i can make it fit.... we'll see