PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Vario Excavator.

XrevoX
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I was considering purchasing a excavator from Vario, but I am not sure what electronics and what I need to build this machine. This will be my first rc built from a kit. Here are my questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

What electronics do i need? (I would like a powerful setup)

I hear this thing is 80lbs plus. How do i get it down my stairs? I cannot carry that much weight...

What do i need to assemble it?

Is the hydraulic oil the same that goes in the real excavators?

thanks

JAMMER
09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
You will need a motor for the pump a motor for the swing and 2 motors for the tracks, if you do not get them with the kit. Servos and a 8 channel radio. I have no Idea how to get it down the stairs. For assembly you will need something to solder with a set of metric allen wrenches and regular metric wrenches and regular and Phillips screw drivers,pliers of various types, wire strippers of some sort. As far as oil I use Cat hydraulic oil. Hope this helps you get some Idea of what you are getting into. I have one and if I can give you any help do not be afraid to ask also there are a few other here that have this excavator. I have the updated swing and chain drive for the tracks. Ed

XrevoX
09-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks JAMMER,

I think that if I build a ramp i can drive it up my stairs. What kind of incline can this thing drive up?

I have all the tools and hydraulic oil.

Can someone tell me the exact electronic parts needed to complete this excavator?

thanks

Actros861
09-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Hello

I have one of these awsome machines as well. When i bought mine i just go with the recomended parts for the machine.

Two speed controllers for the tracks.
http://www.vario-helicopter.biz/gb/product_info.php?products_id=100456

One for the swing.
http://www.vario-helicopter.biz/gb/product_info.php?products_id=100458

And one for the pumpmotor.
http://www.vario-helicopter.biz/gb/product_info.php?products_id=100459

This setup works excellent for me.

Don't now how steep incline it can drive in but the drivemotors are really strong. Maybe you should build an elevator :p

XrevoX
09-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks Actros861,

i noticed however that these speed controllers do not come with motors. Does the model come with the motors?

What tx/rx should I use?

What battery should I use?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my 1st kit.

Actros861
09-21-2012, 10:17 PM
All motors comes with the model so its just the controllers you need :)

I use a Sanwa SD-10G 2,4Ghz 10channel system, it's a really nice radio system in my opinion. I have also set it up so the pump just idling when i not use the hydraulic, and then when i move the sticks the pump revs up.

I use regular 12V NiMh battery with 4000-4500mAh capacity, you can also use 11,1V Lipo.

Here is my machine :)

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4283

XrevoX
09-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Nice build Actros861!!!

Does this excavator also come with the servos?

How long can you run on a 12v 4500 mah battery?

And by the way what was the cause of the leaking cylinder?

Lil Giants
09-22-2012, 12:53 AM
A Spektrum DX8 or 10T is a much easier programmable radio than the Sanwa. ;)

It'll work alot better with 4s lipo, but maybe you being a rookie, starting with 3s may be better with slower movements. ;)

Stairs would be too steep! it would have the power to climb that grade, but...

If I was using mine outside, I'd build a wooden box with a hinged ramp to drive the model in/out, put on rubber tires & a pull rope to haul it around. 80lbs for me is about my limit that my back can take anymore, but the overall shear awkwardness of the model's shape to grab it is too much.

I would use the servos and esc's recommended by Vario, they can source them for you & send with the kit.

Basic tools is all that's needed to assemble it.

The worm drive reduction on the swing needs to be precisely centered to work well, they provide many various thickness shims in the kit to do so. I was unaware of this & didn't know how to do it correctly & I destroyed my gears.. luckily for me I found an aftermarket bolt-on for a direct drive gearhead motor. It works much better in my opinion, but the worm will perform well if set up properly.

When assembling your track drives, file flat spots on all your shafts where set screws meet & blue lock tite all set screws!!! Can't stress that enough, it's heavy & the tracks take a beating putting alot torque on the drives. I'd also recommend that you request the 516:1 track motors vs the 256:1 motors that come standard in the kit.. slower speed - more power!

The counter weight is a hollow plastic shell; fill it full of lead shot or I used air rifle BB's.

Take your time, study the photos carefully & enjoy your build. :)

Where you from?

XrevoX
09-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the great info Lil Giants!

I am living on Shelter Island, Alaska.

I think I will go with the Spektrum tx/rx.

How do I request the 516:1 drive motors?

Actros861 said it can run on 11.1volts(6s lipo). Now you said to use a 4s lipo... I am confused.

Lil Giants
09-22-2012, 04:38 PM
No, 11.1v would be 3s lipo (as in 3.7v per cell, but fully charged it's 4.2v per cell). 4s would be 14.8v(16.8v). I use 4s b/c it runs the hyd pump much faster for more oil flow.

Pretty much any esc nowadays, whether it's for brushed or brushless will have a lipo cut off built within it to protect the lipo pack from being discharged below 2.96v per cell. Any lower & that will destroy the lipo. Make sure one your esc's has that feature turned on, preferably the one that is providing the BEC to the rx.

When you place your order with Vario Germany, make the request for two 516:1 for the track drive motors. You are ordering direct from Germany, correct? You'll get it much cheaper than through any subsiduary distributor that might carry it.. unless it's your local hobby shop doing the deal for you?

Do you have much snow yet? How many hrs of daylight do you currently have? That's way up there!.. 5yrs ago I visited my brother who was living/working in Norman Wells, NWT in late June.. 24hrs of sunlight, out quadding at 2am. :cool:

Actros861
09-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Nice build Actros861!!!

Does this excavator also come with the servos?

How long can you run on a 12v 4500 mah battery?

And by the way what was the cause of the leaking cylinder?

When i just hade on or off on the pump it lasted aprox 20-30min, haven't tested runtime with mixes. I'm going to test if the wheater could be a little bit better ;)

Don't now why it was leaking, but it was easily fixed with plenty of heat and just solder it again :)

XrevoX
09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Lil Giants...

Ok i see about the batteries and voltages... How many mah do you suggest?

There's no snow up here yet. It usually snows around Halloween. There's about 9 hours if daylight currently. The max in the summer is around 18hrs and in the winter about 6hrs.

I am ordering directly from Varios helicopter website. It will probably be a long time before i have the money to buy one...

pigeonfarmboy
09-24-2012, 12:19 AM
In the meantime you should do a bunch of research into general rc stuff. No offense but if you're not familiar with battery types, I don't want you to get in over your head when installing all this stuff. We're definitely here to help but youtube is an awesome source for learning all these terms.

I use a 5000mah and 8000mah 11.1v in mine and I get 40/60 mins with the corresponding batteries. It seems like 10 mins because you're in full zombie mode when operating the thing ;)

JAMMER
09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Xrevox I run 4S 8000 mah 14.8 volt Lipo batteries in mine but as Lil Giants, Joe said it would be better for you to start of with 3S 11.1 volt Lipo batteries until you get use to it. Ed

XrevoX
09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Pigeonfarmboy...

I have been in the hobby for 4 years now... Now I realized that I said a 6s lipo is 11.1v when it is in fact 22.2v. That's good that I can use a 3s lipo because I have a few for my e-revo BL.

JAMMER...

Thanks for the info. I will probably use a 8000mah lipo. I will start with 3s and move up to 4s.

Another couple questions...

Can you use normal metal spray paint to paint it?

Vario sells a powdercoating service for the undercarriage...is this needed? ( i live near the ocean and the salty air make everything metal rust...)

Thanks

JAMMER
09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Xrevox you can use any kind of paint you want just use a good self etching primer. I use automotive paints. The body is fiberglass and the under carriage is all metal so you should not be limited to one cretin kind of paint. Ed

XrevoX
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Ok thanks...

Should I paint it before assembly or after?
Is there any special primer for the fiberglass?
I see people running their excavators with the body off. Is this to help cooling airflow?
Is there any commercially manufactured hydraulic thumb/claw for this excavator?

Sorry about all the questions but it's hard to get parts up here...

cbazq271
09-26-2012, 08:40 AM
XrevoX, you have a PM. I have a Vario for sale

XrevoX
10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi everyone,

After some thought I think the Vario is to big and to expensive...

I looked online for some more excavators and am considering a

RC4WD 4200 earthmover
Liebherr 922 excavator
WEDICO CAT 345

My only concern about these is power. I will be digging into forest ground. It has many small roots(5mm diameter). There is soft dirt and loose rock underneath that. Will any of these work in these conditions?

Does anyone also have a comparison pic of these machines together?

Any thoughts?

thanks

Claus
10-11-2012, 11:40 PM
have you looked at these? I would love one but don't think I could ever justify the expense.

http://shop.premacon.com/index.php?cPath=19_21
http://shop.premacon.com/images/product_images/popup_images/Art10000001.jpg

XrevoX
10-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Claus,

I really like those excavators! Thanks for showing them to me. The only problem is that their the same price as the vario... I was looking for something a little less expensive.

Claus
10-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Aren't we all!:)