PDA

View Full Version : RDS8000 Mixing Help Needed

rockNmayhem
10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Hey guys like the title says I need help with my Airtronics RDS8000 radio setup. I'm trying to use it in my loader and I am wanting to get it to where I can use channel 3 & 4 for my cylinders which is no problem but I want to only have the pump running when I open the valves. Now both channels are separate and each function as they should no right now but I cannot seem to be able to figure out how to set up the mix to get the pump to kick on when I activate a servo. I was under the impression that I need a speed control on my motor for my pump but how do I run that through a separate channel to operate with channels 3 & 4?

If anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it. A little further insight to my setup is channel 1 & 2 are already set up through a sabertooth to run the tracks and that is working great. I only need to figure out how to wire up the pump at this point so when the servo's are in neutral the pump is off and when I increase the valves either direction the pump will turn on.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Tyler

Lil Giants
10-02-2012, 11:32 AM
The Sabertooth has the "mix" built into itself, mixing hyd valves with hyd pump needs to be done through the radio programming.

Master will be the valve channel
Slave will be the pump

Put the pump esc on any switch ch, whether it be 2 or 3 pos.

Rate: will be +100% on one side and -100% on the other side

When programming the pump on whatever switch, make sure the pump is turning the correct direction to pressure up (not running in reverse). If you prefer the switch to be "UP" to be on & it's not, then go into the programming and REVERSE the channel.

A 2pos switch, one side is +100% & the other side is -100%. The correct direction to run the pump, on is 100% & off is 0%. Be sure to set the other side of "servo travel" in the radio programming to 0%

A 3pos will be +100%, 0%, -100%. Figure out the correction direction for the pump and make the reverse side of the switch 0%.

You never want the pump turning backwards, won't hurt anything mechanically, but might add air bubbles, then the system acts erractically for a short time till it self corrects.

I'm not familiar with the RDS8000 radio... does it have MIX within its programming?

That's the jist of what you need to do. Your manual will explain it in greater detail, but you will have to think in terms of an airplane (I don't fly either).

Spektrum is the best for construction models & programming! ;)

Truckers like the RDS8000, wouldn't be difficult to trade up.

rockNmayhem
10-02-2012, 12:32 PM
The Sabertooth has the "mix" built into itself, mixing hyd valves with hyd pump needs to be done through the radio programming.

Master will be the valve channel
Slave will be the pump

Put the pump esc on any switch ch, whether it be 2 or 3 pos.

Rate: will be +100% on one side and -100% on the other side

When programming the pump on whatever switch, make sure the pump is turning the correct direction to pressure up (not running in reverse). If you prefer the switch to be "UP" to be on & it's not, then go into the programming and REVERSE the channel.

A 2pos switch, one side is +100% & the other side is -100%. The correct direction to run the pump, on is 100% & off is 0%. Be sure to set the other side of "servo travel" in the radio programming to 0%

A 3pos will be +100%, 0%, -100%. Figure out the correction direction for the pump and make the reverse side of the switch 0%.

You never want the pump turning backwards, won't hurt anything mechanically, but might add air bubbles, then the system acts erractically for a short time till it self corrects.

I'm not familiar with the RDS8000 radio... does it have MIX within its programming?

That's the jist of what you need to do. Your manual will explain it in greater detail, but you will have to think in terms of an airplane (I don't fly either).

Spektrum is the best for construction models & programming! ;)

Truckers like the RDS8000, wouldn't be difficult to trade up.

Hey Joe, thanks for the reply but the sabertooth is working great for the two motors that drive the machine and I am done with that part.

Now as for the pump and switches that is where it's getting tricky. I just got this Airtronics for a build and it was to my impression that it would have mixes to work with this kind of setup. I can scroll through and find where is shows mix master and slave but even if I set them to how I think they need to be I still cannot get the motor to turn on when I press the throttle up or stick left to right.

I'm sure I'm just confused on what needs to be set as what but I hope someone that knows more about this radio is able to help me out.

Tyler

Lil Giants
10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Did you get a manual with the radio?

I mention the Sabertooth b/c you did and the mix feature is built into the esc itself for plug & play directly to the rx. No further radio programming needed.

In order to MIX valves with the pump, your radio has to have that feature built into the programming to make it work.

Just like you set servo travel, center point, reverse ect for each ch in the menu, there will be a selection titled MIX. Some radios only have two programmable mixes, other radios can have unlimited mixes. You'll need atleast two for this model.

Do you have MIX "ACT" (activated)?

The switch you use to activate the mix, is it turned on?

Did you try changing the -100% with the +100% positions for the Rate?

Do you have the right chs listed for master & slave? (pump is always Slave)

Did you 1st program your esc for it's center point, full on & full reverse positions? What esc are you using?

Read the manual (if you have one) very carefully. ;)

rc_farmer
10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Tyler,

The rds8000 works a little different then the 10g:

To get the pump to run in the same direction when you operate the stick in either direction, you must do this:

Pump = Aux 1 (ch 7) or Aux 2 (ch 8)
Set the EPA on either of these two channel to 0

Now, you must choose which stick channel you want to use as your (master) channel
(you can NOT use the flap channel) it only work in one direction
Set your EPA according to how much throw you want to input into the secondary channel.

Here is how it will look on the radio screen:

Arrow over to the ETC button:
Then down to : MAS (select your stick channel here)
Then down to : SLV (select either AUX1 (ch7)) or (AUX 2 (ch8))
Then down to : E-> (7) or (8)
and set your precentages from here. You have to determine which direction the pump is running and adjust your stick travel to a NEG/POS setting.

EX: UP @ -20%
DN @ +20%

These settings will make the pump run in the same direction regardless of the stick travel.

Remember to set your pump channel EPA to 0 (which may be on ch 7 or 8)

To activate this function, you must activate the tall two-position switch in the upper side of the radio (C-MIX1)

OH YEAH, YOU MUST HAVE THE PUMP ON A SEPARATE ESCBATTERY WITH THE RED WIRE UNPLUGGED

If you have any questions, give me a hollar..:D

Lil Giants
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM

The off side of the switch is set to 0%, but the on side should be greater than 0%. Doesn't have to be 100%, although the higher the number the faster the rpm of the pump will be in relation to stick throw of the valve ch.

I use one battery to power everything in the model, including more than one esc. A power bar of some kind is the best way to power up more than one esc from one battery.

Yes, red wire of rx lead should be unplugged, don't want too much BEC current going to the rx.

rockNmayhem
10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Thankyou both. This has been very helpful and I'm gonna go give it a shot. I will try setting everything up and see what I can get. I've read the manual several times but it is so hard to understand in different terms. The step by step menu option really helps visualize it much better.

Thanks again guys and I'll let you know in a bit if I get it working.

Tyler

rockNmayhem
10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Alrighty guys after switching drive channels and hydraulics around I got the system setup and running. I now have the motor coming on only when the hydraulics are active through the servo function and operating correctly. It took me a bit to figure out I couldn't use the left stick for the functions like I wanted so I switched to the right and all is well.

As for anybody else that runs into this problem, here are a couple of things to remember.

Only the right stick can be used for the hydraulics and motor combination. ( I have made a few modifications to my controller making the left stick self centering as well so I can get forward and reverse through the sabertooth).

The endpoints on channel 7 have to be set at 0% like stated before but make sure you set your adjustments to center on the radio to begin with so you have full stick play in all directions.

My pump is fully adjustable and at the current time I have the slave channel 7 set to 150% so the motor is running at the fastest rpm to start with. (I will adjust this when I get the new cylinders built and turn the pressure down to the required amount),

Follow Rob's directions just as he posted above and you will have a cake walk in the park.

Now the only thing left to do is get the seals in for the new cylinders this week and build them so I can get this machine operational.

Thanks again for all the help and hope this may help some others out too that may be looking at setting up a radio or even trying something along these lines.

Tyler

rc_farmer
10-02-2012, 11:46 PM
The off side of the switch is set to 0%, but the on side should be greater than 0%. Doesn't have to be 100%, although the higher the number the faster the rpm of the pump will be in relation to stick throw of the valve ch.

I use one battery to power everything in the model, including more than one esc. A power bar of some kind is the best way to power up more than one esc from one battery.

Yes, red wire of rx lead should be unplugged, don't want too much BEC current going to the rx.

I shouldnt have said must for the separate battery....., thanks Lil G

Lil Giants
10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I shouldnt have said must for the separate battery....., thanks Lil G

Cheers Rob. :)

One other point I'm confused about is this one and Tyler's reply seems to confirm the same...

Pump = Aux 1 (ch 7) or Aux 2 (ch 8)
Set the EPA on either of these two channel to 0

-----------------------------------

So both on & off side of the switch channel EPA must be set to 0 for the mix to work with the RDS8000 radio?

rockNmayhem
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Cheers Rob. :)

One other point I'm confused about is this one and Tyler's reply seems to confirm the same...

So both on & off side of the switch channel EPA must be set to 0 for the mix to work with the RDS8000 radio?

Joe you are correct in your understanding now. You have to set the end points both directions on channel 7 or 8, whichever you are using as you pump channel to absolute 0%.

Once under the mix channel selections you go in and set the adjustments there to the max speed or position you want them to be and you are done.

Now one other thing is that you have to set the stick points to opposites so if you you are pushing the right stick up the adjustment should be positive and when down the adjustment should be negative to keep the motor driving in the same direction.

This goes for the same left to right. You just have to figure out what direction your motor is turning and set them accordingly.

I will try to make a tutorial video tonight for you guys so it's easier to see rather than read.

Tyler

Lil Giants
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Joe you are correct in your understanding now. You have to set the end points both directions on channel 7 or 8, whichever you are using as you pump channel to absolute 0%.

Once under the mix channel selections you go in and set the adjustments there to the max speed or position you want them to be and you are done.

Interesting..

The Spektrum programming, off is 0%, but on has to be greater than 0 or the pump won't activate with the mix. And adjusting Rate greater than 100% has no effect, the slave (or master) will only run as fast as it is originally set in the servo travel programming of the channel.

Now one other thing is that you have to set the stick points to opposites so if you you are pushing the right stick up the adjustment should be positive and when down the adjustment should be negative to keep the motor driving in the same direction.

This goes for the same left to right. You just have to figure out what direction your motor is turning and set them accordingly.

Tyler

The Spektrum is the same.

You raised a good question Tyler, food for thought. :cool:

rc_farmer
10-03-2012, 09:27 PM
3 heads working together......:D