PDA

View Full Version : Radio receiver voltage

Supermario
10-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey all.
Stupid question for ya's. I have a Wedico truck with no radio or receiver. It's a 12 volt battery pack and uses aristocraft servos. My question is do I have to purchase a radio system that is a 12 volt system or is the juice for the receiver always stepped down to a standard range no matter what supply voltage you use?

Thanks, Mario

Trucker Al
10-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Most RC Radio receivers run at a max. of 6.0 volts DC.
Buy a BEC or voltage regulator that converts 12 volts to 5-6 VDC at at least 1 amp.
Castle make a good one good for 10 amps.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSWL3&P=ML

Alan

Supermario
10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the info Al. Just so I'm clear on this.... My tamiya truck has a MFU which I assume drops the receiver voltage. I haven't powered up my Wedico truck yet to see if the speed controller #143 does the same thing but at least now I know what I need and where to get if it doesn't drop the voltage.

Thanks again.

Mario

RCP57
10-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I think that as long as you are powering the receiver with a speed control you should be fine.

Trucker Al
10-07-2012, 05:05 PM
The Tamiya MFU runs on 7-9 volts. Use the for mentioned regulator set to 8 volts, The MFU supplies the correct voltage to the receiver.
Can you run the whole rig on 7.2 volts (6 cells) instead of 12 volts?
Al

Supermario
10-07-2012, 11:24 PM
The Tamiya MFU runs on 7-9 volts. Use the for mentioned regulator set to 8 volts, The MFU supplies the correct voltage to the receiver.
Can you run the whole rig on 7.2 volts (6 cells) instead of 12 volts?
Al

not sure Al if I can? this is my first wedico which is a 1990 version. the battery it came with is 12 volt NICD. so I just figured i better not compare apples to oranges? it would be nice if i could go 7.2 NIMH.... i got lots of them.lol
i just finally found the specs and manual for this truck in english tonight!:D I got some reading to do:eek: see what the speed controller requires.....

mario