PDA

View Full Version : 3 stick shifting

doodlebug
10-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Anybody seen this video on youtube? I'm still figuring it out, I think it's a 13 speed RoadRanger with the range and splitter on separate lever's, instead of the standard shift knob setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g&feature=player_embedded

Cheer's, Neil.

speedy8305
10-19-2012, 10:58 PM
man that dude was really shiftin

Claus
10-19-2012, 11:38 PM
I guess it's me but I would hate it. Things have come too far today to be going backwards like that. Might be fun for a few minutes than it would feel like driving something from the 1960's.

Sorry.

speedy8305
10-20-2012, 02:43 PM
yea I guess ya right that 3 shiftin takes too much concentration heck it hard enough driving an updated truck

Stylin n profilin
10-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Now that's BAD A$$..That's fun right there...today's truck are so anybody can run them..that's what's killing industry...so many inexperience people getting be hind the wheel of these massive machines have no idea what there doing..now there's dot points that go against the drive and company for no matter what infraction...to me...one of the toughest jobs out there today..to me trucking is a feeling...it's a passion...it gets under your skin.it's in your blood...jumped in the seat at 18...and never looked back..." live to ride". " ride to live"...:D

speedy8305
10-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Yea stylin you make a good point anyone can jump in the seat of a truck but trucking is Blood Pride and gears I do agree it is one of the toughest professions out there

JAMMER
10-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Well after 50 years of driving to each his own but if he had enough power under the hood he would not need all those gears. That shifting gets old after a while but i do not like those air shift either just get stuck with one and have to rock it and is won't let you change gears you have to let it set for time. Ed

doodlebug
10-20-2012, 10:26 PM
I cut my teeth on "box's" 4 x 4 and 5 x 4, never got to try a 6 x 4, don't miss them, but never knew what a tight set was like. Just somebody else's worn out scrap metal. I'll stick with my 18 speed for now!

Interesting to see what people come up with for show truck's!

Cheer's, Neil.

sandfarmer
10-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah that would be the fun way to shift a 13 speed for about 5 minutes on a straight road lol! Looks like he just put 2 shift levers on some air valves to take the handy dandy shifter with 2 levers on it and throw it in the toolbox until he gets tired of this! Interesting I'll give him that.

apfubar
10-21-2012, 03:42 AM
Reminds me of a tractor I used to drive...

Gear levers:
Shuttle shift - fwd/rev with splitter on the front - synchro'd with power shift
Main box - 5 speed - syncro'd
Range - 4 speed(with creep) - syncro'd

Total ratios: 40 fwd, 40rev
Max speed: 40km/hr fwd & rev

No where near as much bling in the tractor cab, and a lot more dust(even with the air con cab)...

Cheers,
Ap

Goose19
10-21-2012, 12:21 PM
could be a 13 or 18, but i dont get why he pulls it out of gear to split shift...... definately an acert cat..... **** whistling things...... loved the pre emission one i drove. ('98)

Stylin n profilin
10-21-2012, 03:15 PM
could be a 13 or 18, but i dont get why he pulls it out of gear to split shift...... definately an acert cat..... **** whistling things...... loved the pre emission one i drove. ('98)

I don't get that either Goose...I drive a 18 all day and never pull it out of gear when I split...and I don't pre select till I'm ready to change a gear..this way no pressure on the fork and valve:D

doodlebug
10-21-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't get that either Goose...I drive a 18 all day and never pull it out of gear when I split...and I don't pre select till I'm ready to change a gear..this way no pressure on the fork and valve:D

Wish I had a RoadRanger, instead of that obnoxious high enertia Mack tranny!
The RoadRanger's shift alot faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheer's,Neil

D8R
10-22-2012, 02:14 AM

Maybee, to make it look more complicated than it is??
Have a friend here in Sweden who has a 2 stick but that a real one with 2 gearboxes.
I would never put a second or third stick to manuever the split and/or range in my gearbox.

/Dan

BRICKNICK
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
I think its very Kool, very impractical buy still Kool non the less. I learned on my old msn 359 Pete with a 425 cat and 6x4.....I can still here it now and remember the way that truck sounded with those straight pipes.....god I miss it

ihbuilder
10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
All I can say , let im go through the mountains here all day doing that :eek: you loose to much momentum doin all that fancy shiftin . Give me a 13 speed RR with the air shift any day . Ed , don't understand the air shifting issue while rockin it :confused: unless they gave you worn out baby motors . I never had issues with any of them I drove , from a 549 IH gasser with a 6613 to 400 BC cummins with a 13 .

Lil Giants
10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
That moe-ron should loose his cdl for posting such a retarded video... not only is he sitting on the floor, barely able to see over the dash, but now no hands on the steering wheel everytime he makes a shift! :eek:

I've driven twin sticks before and I never had to let go of the steering wheel to make a shift. :rolleyes:

Do you guys in the states not have to get your rigs safetied every six months? No way would that BS fly up here! That trk would be put oos till it was properly fitted.

Someday when he strikes a pot hole or catches a rut, perhaps with a great deal of luck he'll only kill himself!

There aint nothing cool about supertruckers, all they do is ruin it for everybody else in the profession! :mad:

sandfarmer
10-25-2012, 12:02 AM
That moe-ron should loose his cdl for posting such a retarded video... not only is he sitting on the floor, barely able to see over the dash, but now no hands on the steering wheel everytime he makes a shift! :eek:

I've driven twin sticks before and I never had to let go of the steering wheel to make a shift. :rolleyes:

Do you guys in the states not have to get your rigs safetied every six months? No way would that BS fly up here! That trk would be put oos till it was properly fitted.

Someday when he strikes a pot hole or catches a rut, perhaps with a great deal of luck he'll only kill himself!

There aint nothing cool about supertruckers, all they do is ruin it for everybody else in the profession! :mad:

I hear ya! $10 says that's a temporary setup just for fun and if you went and looked at that truck today it would have a regular knob on top of a regular single shifter lol! As much starting and stopping as we do in a Farm situation that would be a nightmare lol!

Tamiya Cowboy
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
The really funny thing is this guy is from Canada. .I bet he has more miles then most in this thread rolling back from stop sings. Yeah it would be a pain in the azz to drive for sure heck a 5x4 is but its not your farm rig its a long haul truck.

Lil Giants
10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Well holy smokes, do I ever have egg on my face!!! :o

I read Irving in one of the comments and thought it was California. I watched less than 2mins & was so disgusted with such a pityfull display of professionalism that I didn't look to see where it was from... my appologies for assuming it was my southern neighbor. :o

Never-the-less, he's still a Retard for doing it! And especially so b/c the roads throughout Canada are no where near as perfect as 90% of the USA! I hope he looses his license for doing something so dangerous & with such utter disregard for the safety of others who share the road with him! ;)

Supermario
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
I hear ya! $10 says that's a temporary setup just for fun and if you went and looked at that truck today it would have a regular knob on top of a regular single shifter lol! As much starting and stopping as we do in a Farm situation that would be a nightmare lol!

I agree , I think the YouTube video was just that.... A YouTube video. He's doing more than required and is putting on a show.....I think :eek:
All I know is , if this guy tried hauling wood down a winter haul road, he'd be in the ditch before he even got to the log loader!

So a Canadian video eh?..... I'm thinking French Canadian !.....lol
I can say that , I'm French :)....just not THAT French.....lol

Mario

doodlebug
10-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I agree , I think the YouTube video was just that.... A YouTube video. He's doing more than required and is putting on a show.....I think :eek:
All I know is , if this guy tried hauling wood down a winter haul road, he'd be in the ditch before he even got to the log loader!

So a Canadian video eh?..... I'm thinking French Canadian !.....lol
I can say that , I'm French :)....just not THAT French.....lol

Mario

Yah, off road chuckhole's will break those over weight pool cue's, off in no time at all:eek::eek::eek: I don't have room for that fancy stuff in my truck.
Chrome won't pay my bill's in this economy:mad:

Cheer's, Neil.

tbtrucking104customs
11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
one of them is a dummy shifter though makes it so obvious one is.

Stylin n profilin
11-15-2012, 11:42 PM
one of them is a dummy shifter though makes it so obvious one is.

Nope..:D..all 3 sticks work..the stick with the skull on it is the low to direct splitter..center stick is the gear..left stick is the direct to overdrive select:D

doodlebug
11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Nope..:D..all 3 sticks work..the stick with the skull on it is the low to direct splitter..center stick is the gear..left stick is the direct to overdrive select:D

That's my final guess.

Cheer's, Neil.

tbtrucking104customs
11-16-2012, 09:55 PM
lol...hmm I'll check into it before I believe. Alot of guys now days faking one at least. Was up at peterbilt and kenworth the other looking at a truck and I asked about it and they told me most of them are dummy ones the get requested to put in and make them move like real. lol I'll check into this guys truck before I do. :D

Stylin n profilin
11-16-2012, 11:47 PM
All three work...if you watch him shift..even at night..the third stick is the low to direct..then he just uses the other two..which is you gear and the direct and overdrive select...on a standard roadranger select shifter knob you have the pull up button for low to direct and the slide button for you direct and overdrive on your 13 and 18 speeds..oh also on the 8ll:D:D..my buddy did the two stick conversion on his 18spd..for his low to direct he put it on a switch in the dash just like they use to with the 15 over..deep reduction on the dash..old school=)

catmack
01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Anybody seen this video on youtube? I'm still figuring it out, I think it's a 13 speed RoadRanger with the range and splitter on separate lever's, instead of the standard shift knob setup.

Cheer's, Neil.

I've driven an old white mixer 220 or 30 cummins and a 5+3 and it's fun to do so you know what it is like but, I wouldn't do it again as an everyday task for nothing, I get tired after shifting one all day. I feel wore out just watching it. This is just more reality TV mocking another occupation.

doodlebug
01-21-2013, 07:13 PM
I've driven an old white mixer 220 or 30 cummins and a 5+3 and it's fun to do so you know what it is like but, I wouldn't do it again as an everyday task for nothing, I get tired after shifting one all day. I feel wore out just watching it. This is just more reality TV mocking another occupation.

Yup!

Cheers, Neil.

Petedrivinman
04-07-2013, 08:26 PM
that dudes nuts ill stick with my one lever 13s and 15 spd,on my routes them 3 levers wouldnt work to many curves,he must enjoy shifting

Lmackattack
04-30-2013, 12:03 AM
A real 2 or 3 stick truck does not use air to split,shift,range select....just saying...

Give me an old quad box and I will show you what twin sticking is about...

doodlebug
04-30-2013, 12:58 AM
I used to slip seat a Ford & Diamond T dump trucks, 1 had 5 & 4, other one had a 4 & 4.
The fun part was, both stick's were opposite between the truck's.
Cheer's Neil.

Diesel Demond
05-01-2013, 01:33 AM
maybe for strictly truck shows but for every day chores f!@# that i get annoyed with my 10 speed on 94 sittin in traffic

doodlebug
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
maybe for strictly truck shows but for every day chores f!@# that i get annoyed with my 10 speed on 94 sittin in traffic

Yah, I miss that Allison tranny in my first dump truck!
Traffic jams suck!
Cheers Neil.

doodlebug
09-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I found another video today, the hamster steers the truck! LOL! It's on Big Lorry Blog, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N87uxyDQT0
Just when you thought , you had seen it all:p:p:p:p
Cheer's, Neil.

Supermario
09-13-2013, 04:31 PM
I found another video today, the hamster steers the truck! LOL! It's on Big Lorry Blog, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N87uxyDQT0
Just when you thought , you had seen it all:p:p:p:p
Cheer's, Neil.

Your so right Neil,
there will always be something to see. The levels of stupidity and crazy stunts to be thought of will entertain us for a lifetime! :lol::lol:

Mario

doodlebug
10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Just found this one, a 450 ton Russian Haul truck. Reminds me of a 350 Payhauler.
http://www.mining.com/belaz-launches-worlds-largest-mining-dump-truck-28189/?utm_source=digest-en-mining-131004&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digest
Here's the spec sheet, http://www.belaztrucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/%D0%91%D0%95%D0%9B%D0%90%D0%97-75710_ENGLISH.pdf And it's in the Guinness Book of Record's
Cheer's, Neil.

Nikaem
07-10-2015, 06:54 PM
stupidest thing I have ever seen . I do not drive professionally any more but I do have my frieghtliner rv hauler and I think this is just plan dangerous.

spudd
07-13-2015, 03:00 PM
I drove a Mack DMM from Florida to Minnesota. Holy crap that was a cluster...finely got good at it once I got to Iowa boarder

skeeter
07-22-2017, 12:39 AM

Cheer's, Neil.

From left to right, the first 2 sticks are a 4 speed browni box, then a 5 speed main box. Looks as if they put an additional gearbox behind that set up.

I once drove a setup similar. There was a 4 speed brownie box, with a 5 speed main box, & behind that was mounted a modern 13 speed transmission. Other then show, there's never a need to move the 5 speed mainbox, but there is occasionally a usefulness to shift the brownie box.

skeeter
07-22-2017, 12:41 AM
Now that's BAD A$$..That's fun right there...today's truck are so anybody can run them..that's what's killing industry...so many inexperience people getting be hind the wheel of these massive machines have no idea what there doing..now there's dot points that go against the drive and company for no matter what infraction...to me...one of the toughest jobs out there today..to me trucking is a feeling...it's a passion...it gets under your skin.it's in your blood...jumped in the seat at 18...and never looked back..." live to ride". " ride to live"...:D

A BIG +1 on what you said!

skeeter
07-22-2017, 12:51 AM
The ONLY occasion I found to move the brownie box was when I was logging. There are some nasty grades out there. You highway guys, I hear talk of the nasty hills & passes you've came over, & I laugh. Go out in the woods for a day, & you'd see what REAL hills, are.