PDA

View Full Version : 13 Axle big boy

nutmag
11-05-2012, 09:23 PM
So I want to make a truck and trailer. I want to start with trailer because it will take some time. It's going to be all from scratch, For the truck i have rails and that is about it. Hard part will be making it to scale but i think with the help of you guys i can get er done. Im going to start planning and any input would be appreciated.
-Craig http://diamondheavyhaul.com/gallery/cache/Perimeter-13-Axle-Trailers/Geneva-5.jpg_595.jpg

nutmag
11-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Yeah i want the back to steer and now that i think of it i will need to get the wheels and the 5th wheel on the rails. To see were the ride height of that trailer is. The other problem i face is that i can't find and good dimensions
on this trailer. trailer will be aluminum with small parts brass ill be sure to post alot of pictures.

nutmag
11-07-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm going to do air bags I think i have found a way to make working air bags. No leaf springs just arms that go from frame back over the axle then to air bag. If my air bags work i should have the only working air ride truck out there that i have seen. Last of all are the size of the screws on a tamiya rail 2mm or 3mm?

Supermario
11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm going to do air bags I think i have found a way to make working air bags. No leaf springs just arms that go from frame back over the axle then to air bag. If my air bags work i should have the only working air ride truck out there that i have seen. Last of all are the size of the screws on a tamiya rail 2mm or 3mm?

The rail screws are 3mm. Not to burst your bubble but someone has been working on functional airbags. Once I find it, you can check it out.

Mario

Supermario
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
The rail screws are 3mm. Not to burst your bubble but someone has been working on functional airbags. Once I find it, you can check it out.

Mario

I don't know how to send you the link but you can find on this site, under Vendors - it's. Rock solid customs. Check out the "custom air bag " thread. His name is Tyler, cool guy. I'm sure he can help ya out :)

Mario

nutmag
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I know i looked at his and his our spring. I want real airbags and i need 26 airbags that would be over $300 in suspension.

Supermario
11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Oooppps, sorry wrong thread.... I know I've seen one. The guy had tested them up to 120 psi for burst rating.... I will dig around and find....I'm stubborn that way:p:):D

Mario

Supermario
11-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Nope. That was the proper thread. The pics with the airbags being tested under pressure have been deleted. I'm going to assume that the idea never panned out....so, I stand corrected. You CAN be the first to make a functioning airbag:p:p:D. Lol

Mario

nutmag
11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
My idea for the air bags is to make a wood pill like shape then plastic dip it till it is right thickness. They don't need to hold alot of psi 10-20 maybe 30. Then i will cut holes at top and bottom. Then use washers and some little aluminum post. to keep it cheep and simple.

Goose19
11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I know i looked at his and his our spring. I want real airbags and i need 26 airbags that would be over $300 in suspension.

how would to fill them? pneumatic robot stuff?

should be interesting to see

Supermario
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
My idea for the air bags is to make a wood pill like shape then plastic dip it till it is right thickness. They don't need to hold alot of psi 10-20 maybe 30. Then i will cut holes at top and bottom. Then use washers and some little aluminum post. to keep it cheep and simple.

I guess the challenge will be to maintain a uniform thickness so that the bag maintains the proper shape when pressurized and not bulge or deform to one direction or other? Or probably not a issue due to scale size and the direct vertical load they would have?

Happy building , good luck and keep us posted :D
Pics too please:)

Mario

Supermario
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
how would to fill them? pneumatic robot stuff?

should be interesting to see

I have an suggestion maybe.

Unfortunately I am the proud owner of a blood pressure meter. I haven't taken it apart.... ( yet :) ). But it's very compact and can obviously generate some good positive pressure. It runs on 4 AA batteries.
Might be a good choice for a compressor? I paid 80 bucks here in Canada, I know there are cheaper versions.
Judging by the size of the whole unit, I'm sure the compressor would fit in a sleeper compartment.

Love the trailer idea by the way. I'm sure you've seen this video? Great example of rear steer trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGY9TDUAlFc&sns=em

Mario

nutmag
11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Just found this site should help alot http://rackleybiltcustomtrailers.com/13axlesteerable/index.html

and for pump there are some small air pumps out there

Espeefan
11-23-2012, 06:02 PM
There are some dealers in Europe that offer functional air bags for the Tamiya and Wedico trucks. With compressors, load valves, and the whole nine yards. I can't find the website now, but I'm pretty sure it was a German hobby shop.

While you wouldn't be the first to have a working airbag suspension on a model truck, you could be one of the few I have ever seen, or known about.

I wish I could find the website, but all I can find is a movie on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8LyLZAf5k&feature=related

Espeefan
11-23-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.tokle-modellbau.de/

Here you go. Found it! Click Luftfederung:

dabears
11-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet I hope they ship here. We'll find out when I get home! Thanks for the link!

JAMMER
11-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Those air bags are very expensive I bought some of them. You can get the air pumps and the solenoids right here in the states Tokle does ship to the states and you want to watch him when I bought mine he tried to get away with out sending the bracket that holds the bag to the frame but as soon as I informed him about my lawyer in germany he sent them. Ed

doodlebug
11-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Anybody ever taken a jump starter/compressor apart? cute little compressor inside!

Cheer's, Neil.