PDA

View Full Version : "Conversational" programming vs full cnc

scalelover
11-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Way do you guys think abut this setup? Conversational vs full cnc programs?

I have bobcad/cam at work but am looking at a secondary setup on a milling center. I've looked at a few and one that stands out is Prototrax. I have an ACER that can be converted, it looks like they replace my current dro setup and install all new hand controls and feeds etc etc.

Have any of you guys used or heard anything on their systems or conversions? I've got a few younger guys just learning design and programming and many people have said this type is a lot easier to use/learn than full out CNC programs. BUT I wonder how many drawbacks it brings as far as abilities and them using our other system. I'd mainly be using it for small runs and prototype stuff but wouldn't want to make it a confusing for the guys if they are bouncing between the two.

Any input is greatly appreciated on this guys.

--Dan

ihbuilder
11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Dan , it depends on what will work best for your situation . I can use the conversational part of my control and have . I also tinkered in writing code with my old mill , which worked out better . With what I do , design build , It goes pretty fast to kick my cad drawing right over to the cam and go from there . I view conversational as a job shop tool . Are you guys goin Knee mill type or full machining center ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just my observations I'm still pretty noobish on this cnc stuff

scalelover
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
If I did the setup I'd most likely start with the conversion of one of my older acer mills (knee style) and then depending on how well it works possibly step into one of their milling centers.

They have one in beta testing now that is almost identical to a haas mini mill and is a lot less expensive. I'm just starting my research into these and they are supposed to have full abilities like bobcad just pc based instead of program based, as well as having abilities to directly transfer my code from the haas into it. I'm just not into having a system that more or less wont let the guys see the full capabilities of cnc, I'd rather they learn how to operate a full system and know how and what it's doing more so than them just depending 100% on the pc to do the work.

--Dan

ihbuilder
11-29-2012, 04:14 AM
I agree with that Dan , the cam doesn't always give good paths I'm alway editing my programs ( at least with what I have now ) 1 of these days I'd like to take some classes or at least sit down and read through my manual with out all the interruptions I get :( . supposedly I can put a DXF in my VM16 But the software is not in the control :( I'm trying to decide on Onecnc or get the fastcam put in the mill .

pugs
11-29-2012, 05:23 AM
I like to use both. For simple stuff like drilling the conversational is so easy and fast to just fill in the blanks and enter it in the program. I usually program out contours just as i like to be able to tweak things like adding a taper to a turned part to make it turn straight (program out taper). It all depends on how powerful the conversational side is, some machines it is quite good some it leaves a lot to be desired.

The newer machines that can import solid models into the control and program from that at the control are supposed to be the cats A$$ but alas I can't afford one of those yet. My Haas with VQC is handy for alot of simple parts but start doing arcs and angles it looses functionality and needs to be cam or hand written. The siemens 840C in my turning center has some pretty good conversational though I only use some of it, need to take some time and learn the rest someday.