PDA

View Full Version : Combining tail/brake lights with signal lights.

Animal
12-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi all,
I've been thinking about how to combine the tail/brake lights and the signal lights from the MFU on my globe liner. I got rid of that unrealistic bumper, but still want to make it look more like the trucks here in Canada. Two combination tail/ brake/ sighnal lights, and one small reverse light. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone have an idea on how to to do it? I have some ideas, but would like some advice.

Pete

civic83
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I did it using rpm slash tail light buckets, I flushed them into the rear cross member, the main brake/tail LEDs are 5mm in the stock holes that come in the buckets, next I drilled a 3mm hole in the edge of each bucket and put the turn signals in there, so when they flash the tail light gets brighter just like if the brakes are applied. For the backup I just used an extra round clear lense and glued it to a piece of styrene tube to make the backup light.

doodlebug
12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Have you considered using diode's to combine the stop, and turn wire's into one circuit?

Cheer's, Neil.

bigford
12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
somebody posted tail lights from a tamiya jeep that looked the closest
to what we use for tractor tail/brake/backup lights

Animal
12-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Have you considered using diode's to combine the stop, and turn wire's into one circuit?

Cheer's, Neil.

You and I are on the same wavelength:D. That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks,

Pete

SonoranWraith
05-26-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm interested in this as well for a Rastar conversion. So the basic idea is the controller for the turn signal cycles at 1Hz when activated and the brake is a separate circuit right? So combined into one LED, the brake gets "over ridden" by the signal.

doodlebug
05-26-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm interested in this as well for a Rastar conversion. So the basic idea is the controller for the turn signal cycles at 1Hz when activated and the brake is a separate circuit right? So combined into one LED, the brake gets "over ridden" by the signal.

Hmmmm? I seem to have forgotten some minor detail's. You are correct!
Cheer's, Neil.

Tamiya Cowboy
05-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I have done it on a few bumpers now.. Here is a video with one break tail light combined with a blinker. This is a old video this now has all 4 lights as break tail lights with blinkers. Ill take a new video in the morning. You can see it does not get over powered. I have also done this with the blinkers on a globe liner by the door so you have a marker light and a blinker in one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBhb...t=HL1359920962

Tamiya Cowboy
05-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Here is another video of a full working light bar on my new a model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI-A0...6kDHVQ&index=1

hippy
05-27-2013, 08:37 PM
i am also curious if we can run single bulbs instead of 2. do they make a double circuit led?

Tamiya Cowboy
05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
You can get LEDs that have 2 colors in one 3mm or 5mm LED if that is what you are asking..

wolfws6
05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Here is another video of a full working light bar on my new a model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI-A0...6kDHVQ&index=1

:jaw:Ok, sweet!!!! That looks like the real thing. So it would appear your doing three functions with one LED(running lights, turn signals and brake lights). Could you explain how you did that!!!!! Cheers dude you nailed it. I dont get excited very much. When I saw the video, I got excited!!!:D

Tamiya Cowboy
05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
:jaw:Ok, sweet!!!! That looks like the real thing. So it would appear your doing three functions with one LED(running lights, turn signals and brake lights). Could you explain how you did that!!!!! Cheers dude you nailed it. I dont get excited very much. When I saw the video, I got excited!!!:D

Thanks much wolf.. This has been bugging me for years so no that I got it to work I am more than happy to post some pics on how I did it. Ill get some pics taken and post it up..

Espeefan
05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Hmmm, when I click on the link, it tells me neither of the videos exist. Subscribed, to see what the trick to getting one bulb to do three functions!

wolfws6
05-31-2013, 07:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI-A09daqXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
try this link

Animal
06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi, Sorry it's been a while since I've been able to take time to post any replies. That light setup is great. It's just what I was looking for. I'll be waiting with anticipation to see your pics on how you did it.:D

Rd/Rz
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Can more lights be added into a Tamiya trailer harness looking for 2 more turn signals and 2 more brake lights , if yes how do I go about doing it ???

Animal
08-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi, Tamiya Cowboy, Have you had a chance to get some pics on how you did this yet?:o I've been preoccupied with so much other stuff this year, and just found some time to start tinkering with my truck again and this is one of the arias that I am looking to work on.
Thanks.