PDA

View Full Version : Jb weld

dmess62
12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I've never used jb weld before and was wandering if it is ok to use to fill in holes in the frame and redrill and tap. I have a couple that are off a little but not far enough to drill new ones beside it

fhhhstix
12-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I've never used jb weld before and was wandering if it is ok to use to fill in holes in the frame and redrill and tap. I have a couple that are off a little but not far enough to drill new ones beside it

You can try it but I have my doubts on it working. The JB weld when it sets up will be a different density than the aluminum and one will drill easier than the other. So if you try to drill between the two one will push the drill bit to the other. The only way it may work is to make a jig with the holes in it that you want and clamp it in place to force the the drill bit to dill where you want it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Travis

dmess62
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have to do some more homework on this one.

Finster
12-02-2012, 05:38 PM
What about filling the hole(s) with those brazing compounds like durafix, muggy weld, etc.? That is always one of their demos. They punch a hole in the bottom of a soda/beer can and then fill the hole. Here's a video where they are filling holes in Al tubing with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNYHPzk2ffs