PDA

View Full Version : trailer build questions

dmess62
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I was going through the sticky: trailer tips/tricks and I saw different kits(Tamiya) for different custom builds. Here's my question is there a certain kit best suited for certain custom builds. Like is there a difference between the flatbed kit and the tanker like frame rail length or different suspension setups that would be better for say a dump trailer or a dropdeck. Thanks for any info/feedback.

Thanks Dave

1985 kenworth
12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
yes the trailers do come in various length's and it depends on what you want to build that should determine which trailer kit will be best suited for your application.generally speaking the frame rails for the tamiya trailers are pretty much the same style ,only the length differs.now with the container chassis those frame rails match the frame rails for the tamiya reefer trailer,and of course both of those are tridems(3 axles) or some call them triaxles either way there are 3..the flatbed trailer is the shortest of all not including the pole trailer.and if you really want to go custom you can check out some of the guys in the vendors section on this forum as they build trailers more to scale..hope this helps you out and answers your questions

scalepaintn
12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
that was a great Question. a little info. thanks still noob to this truck world working on first truck now and would like to start on a trailer. So can i also ask how tall or long is a trailer or how long is to long and how high is to high. thanks cole

dmess62
12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
yes the trailers do come in various length's and it depends on what you want to build that should determine which trailer kit will be best suited for your application.generally speaking the frame rails for the tamiya trailers are pretty much the same style ,only the length differs.now with the container chassis those frame rails match the frame rails for the tamiya reefer trailer,and of course both of those are tridems(3 axles) or some call them triaxles either way there are 3..the flatbed trailer is the shortest of all not including the pole trailer.and if you really want to go custom you can check out some of the guys in the vendors section on this forum as they build trailers more to scale..hope this helps you out and answers your questions

Thanks. I knew that the frame rails differed in length I didn't know if the suspensions were any different

that was a great Question. a little info. thanks still noob to this truck world working on first truck now and would like to start on a trailer. So can i also ask how tall or long is a trailer or how long is to long and how high is to high. thanks cole

I've got the box trailer, I'm not sure of the exact height and length. I think it is supposed to be a scole 40 or 45 foot trailer. Someone else may be able to answer that better than me