PDA

View Full Version : Painting both Plastic & Metal

Christo
12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Just a confirmation needed on the method of painting both the plastic and metal. I've done a hardbody like the Tamiya F350 before but never sprayed metal.

Looking through some threads I believe its I can use the same primer & 'colour' on both the plastic and metal. But is there any different technique needed for the metal as to me it seems the paint maybe more easy to 'run'?

Many Thanks, Chris

Sorry for all the questions but I got to learn :)

Dieselchopper
12-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I have never really found much difference between metal and plastic painting. I do know some paints and plastics dot mix well. As for runs it shouldn't be any worse if using a good quality primer and paint.

Christo
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks, I was worried about the sheer flatness of the rear box on the 1850L. Doesn't seem that daunting now. I'll post when I get it sprayed up. Could be a while as It's still quite cold to spray outside at the minute.

Thanks again!

fhhhstix
12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I was worried about the sheer flatness of the rear box on the 1850L. Doesn't seem that daunting now. I'll post when I get it sprayed up. Could be a while as It's still quite cold to spray outside at the minute.

Thanks again!

I know a guy when it was cold out who use to put his parts in a box on the bathroom sink to paint and used the exhaust fan to get rid of the smell. Well that was till his wife figured out what he was doing.:eek:

Travis

edwalsh18
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I know a guy when it was cold out who use to put his parts in a box on the bathroom sink to paint and used the exhaust fan to get rid of the smell. Well that was till his wife figured out what he was doing.:eek:

Travis

MUHAHAHAHA!!! thats just too hilarious!!!

i died laughing when i read that!

i can just imagine what my wife would do!

Christo
12-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Already done a similar thing but sprayed the bed covers silver when doing a Defender roof rack. Just wanted to get it done and just picked up the can and started lol

rcman
12-14-2012, 12:20 AM
lol my wifey would have skinned me alive if i painted inside the house. i used to crank up he kerosene heater in the shed until it broke now im leaning towards a propane heater for my man cave. thats where i do all my painting now.

rcman
12-14-2012, 12:23 AM
when i painted my box truck i primed first and then painted it. i used the same paint for the metal and the plastic with no problems. just use thin coats and let it dry with ample time between coats and you should be fine .. lots of guys here use dupla colors with great results. i havent tried them yet since i had a stock pile of tamiya paint to go thru first.

Christo
12-14-2012, 02:45 AM
I was wishing you were going to mention Tamiya Sprays lol. I've already got their Fine primer ( couple of cans ) so I was just going to use that first. But for me It still way too cold to be spraying anything outside at the moment. Gives me time to fill in the corners of the rear box with filler to hide the screws along with a few odd and ends I can be getting on with. Think I'm getting a new 2.4Ghz radio set for Christmas so I think the project is on hold for a couple of weeks :(

rcman
12-15-2012, 05:12 AM
tamiya spray paint is good but expensive i like their primers alot going to try automotive paints on my globe stretch build though

Tamiya Cowboy
12-15-2012, 08:07 AM
I used to use tamiya paint and duplocolor but tamiya paint cost is out of line for what it is and the shine is nothing like auto paint and duplo in the can is ok but can react and the clear can fog so I switched all over to auto paint it is by far a better product and cheaper and a lot stronger that any model paint. You can get any auto paint in spray cans.

Christo
12-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info and noted ;) I'll spray with automotive paint instead. Thanks for replying and keeping me on the 'straight and narrow' I really appreciate it.

Christo