PDA

View Full Version : need some help, advice

dirthalr
12-26-2012, 08:15 AM
I am extremely new to this. I just got a king hauler. Did'nt realize that I would need the steering servo and shifting servo to basically start building the truck. I am confused as to what radio and servos to get. I want to add lights and sound so I plan to get a mfu. Also down the road I'm thinking maybe retractable landing gear, dump trailer, etc. So I want to get the right radio from the get go. Also I'm in a small town no hobby shops so most of it will be internet purchased. I was looking on garden trucking and the 8 channel radio. Would a guy be best to by the heavy duty servo?

Thanks for any input.

I love looking at all the builds on here. Totally amazing

Jimmy

Goose19
12-26-2012, 08:40 AM
hi dirthalr,

welcome to the forum. you picked the perfect place to ask a few questions, this board is full of brilliant people, who will help a guy out.

for servoes, you cant go wrong with hitec 645mgs:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

and a radio depending on your budget, can be tricky. the mfu with lights and retractible landing gear will all work with a regular 4 channel radio, the mfu actually works as a speed control, so all your tx inputs are seen by the mfu and it directs the input accordingly ( so when you turn left, it turns the wheels AND makes the turn signals come on)

a 4 channel will save you some $$$$ but it puts a dump trailer that dumps (from the tx) out of the question. and if your like me, as soon as you buy a radio, you'll realize you dont have enough channels! i would get at least a 6 channel, it give you room to play around later.

i run spektrum, and im very pleased with them, great quality, programmable , and easy to find at any hobby store. i live a good distance from any stores as well so having things they all stock is a bonus! you could also go with airtronics, futaba, hitec even has 2.4
ghz radios now.

specktrum:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/dx6i-dsmx-6-channel-full-range-without-servo-md2-SPM6610

tower hobbies 2.4ghz 6 channel options:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JJL

Tinbender
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I am extremely new to this. I just got a king hauler. Did'nt realize that I would need the steering servo and shifting servo to basically start building the truck. I am confused as to what radio and servos to get. I want to add lights and sound so I plan to get a mfu. Also down the road I'm thinking maybe retractable landing gear, dump trailer, etc. So I want to get the right radio from the get go. Also I'm in a small town no hobby shops so most of it will be internet purchased. I was looking on garden trucking and the 8 channel radio. Would a guy be best to by the heavy duty servo?

Thanks for any input.

I love looking at all the builds on here. Totally amazing

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Welcome aboard.

I am currently building my first truck as well. It is a King Hauler. I too found out that I needed the servos, however I went ahead and started to build the frame until I could get to the hobby shop and buy the radio equipment. I just left the front screws loose so I could back them out to put the servos in later. Once I got the servos, I backed up and built them up as the directions said to do and put them in the frame rails and then continued on. I just finished building and installing the tranny and ready to start with installing some more of the electronoics.

I bought a Futaba 8J radio. It is for aircraft but according to the hobby shop it will work very well with these trucks and gives a lot of room to grow. The Futaba 4 channels are only $25 dollars cheaper, so why not go with the 8 channels. I asked a lot of questions and researched a lot of threads and come to the conclusion to use a "High Torque" servo for the steering and a standard for the tranny shift. The 5th wheel is a smaller sized servo and is also a standard torque servo, but I may not use it for the 5th wheel.

Understand I am by no means an expert on all this radio stuff, but research and questions never hurt anyone, except those who don't ask.

Good luck with your build and keep us informed. Suggest you start a thread in the highway section so we all can follow your build.

T/B

dabears
12-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Welcome! Where in WI are ya? In my opinion i like the Spektrum radio's the best. Easy to use and set up. The Airtronics are not too bad to use i like them if you can find the Crawler version, BUT the Spektrum has a few more options and a bigger model memory 25-12 i think on my DX8 vs the RDS8000....

Servos can be installed after the roller is done i have done it several times. So dont worry too much about them you can tighten everything down as normal and when it comes time to put them in just undo the two front screws off the front springs, then the suspension will swing out of the way and the servos will slide right up and in.

Hope that helps a little. Happy building

dirthalr
12-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok, that helps. Thanks everyone.

Jimmy