PDA

View Full Version : First time building

mcdonald05
12-26-2012, 06:35 PM
I want to Build a F-150 or F-350 from scratch or close to it. I have traxxs revo VXL 1/16 also nitro t-maxx 2.5 that I can use the body too. So anyone's and everyone's opinions are very applicative. since I have no idea what I'm doing. On the other hand I can remodel homes with no problem so I know how to use tools. so any help will be great.

mcdonald05
12-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Thank you

mcdonald05
12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Do most people buy kits or build from scratch??

Mama Sue
12-29-2012, 03:45 AM
First time is usually with a kit, then change out standard parts for customized parts, then the next thing you know you have enough spare parts to build another from scratch...

mcdonald05
12-29-2012, 07:42 PM
what do I need to make the frame rails??

Espeefan
12-30-2012, 06:25 AM
You can make frame rails out some sort of c-channel metal. That would be most realistic. You can make them straight frame rails, or you can cut them and angle them, so they have bends in them. If you can weld aluminum, I'd use aluminum channel. Otherwise, stick to steel, which is easier to weld back up. Some guys heat the channel and then bend or form it, rather then cut and weld it back together. If you want it to be a really easy project, buy some Axial SCX10/Honcho frame rails. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXGD7&P=ML Or this - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYYM8&P=7

If you want it even easier yet, buy the whole truck kit, and swap the body out for something you like better! Even if you want to scratchbuild the entire chassis, for a first time, I'd recommend you get the kit. It's got everything you need in it, and it's really nice chassis. Many builders like starting with Axial's chassis and components because they are really scale, perform awesome, and all the hard work has been done for you that way.

mcdonald05
12-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Wow thank you for all the info Espeefan that rally helped a lot especially since this will be my first build. another question how wide do I make the chassis is there a rule of thumb?

Espeefan
12-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Your welcome. The two biggest things that will help you figure out how wide to make the chassis is your body's width, and your axle width. Take into account width for leaf springs too, if you go that route. Most axles have a mounting pad for the leaf spings, and I would figure out the width of the springs you want to use, the width of the shackles, for the springs, and then the space between the shackles is what you'll want the two chassis rails to be, in width.

Get your axles first, body second, and then build the chassis to fit them both.

mcdonald05
12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
next question I can only find one version of the f-350 body online but if you go on you tube there are millions of different versions that people have where do i find them at? or do people just piece them together with different bodies

Espeefan
12-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Tamiya makes a really nice F-350 body, but many builders use it as the base for different variations. Extended cabs, super cabs, 1 ton duallys, short boxes, long boxes, and some just use the cab for a vocational style truck, with a flat bed, or something completely different. If what you have in mind is to use that body, you can purchase the detail parts and shell separately, or else you can buy the entire Tamiya Ford F-350 High-Lift kit. Personally, I would purchase an Axial SCX-10 chassis, the Tamiya body by itself, and then adapt the body to the Axial complete chassis. It would be the easiest, most scale, and best performing combination, with the least amount of work.

mcdonald05
12-31-2012, 07:25 PM
wow I will be asking you a lot of questions when I start this project

mcdonald05
12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
can I use my revo or tmaxx chassis or no?

Espeefan
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM
No. The Revo and T-Maxx are both huge trucks, compared the Tamiya F-350 body. You might be able to use the transmissions, if you really wanted to. Maybe the shocks, off the T-Maxx, but not much else, besides the electronics, will carry over. The F-350 body is about 1/12 scale. The T-Maxx and Revo are about 1/10 scale, and they are monster trucks besides, so they are quite a bit larger.

mcdonald05
12-31-2012, 08:06 PM
ok and also is this a good engine http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-s0059.htm for my RC i wanna put a plow on it and a salt spreader

Espeefan
12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
That is just a detailed engined that nice, but does not run or power a model. It's made to hide a 540 can motor within it, so if you build a truck with a hood that opens, it will look like it has an actual engine in it. If that is your plan, go for it, but if you don't think you will build the truck with a functional hood, then I would spend the money on more functional parts instead.

By the way, this forum deals more with the semi trucks and construction equipment, but you might want to check out this website, if pickup trucks and scale rock crawlers are more your thing. Lots info can be found here. http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/ We can help you here too, but Scale 4x4 is probably more specialized for what you want to know.

mcdonald05
12-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I just wanna try the 350 first before I try the semis, farm, construction my goal is to do the semis, and construction