PDA

View Full Version : gluing styrene to metal

1985 kenworth
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
hello everyone i am about to begin the building process of a tanker for my duel tractor which by the way is just about finished and i was wondering on what i could use to glue styrene to metal as i am using the tamiya tanker trailer as a base for this build.any advice and helpful tips would be appreciated and what sort of adhesive to use that would be permanent.thanks in advance

Hotwheels
01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Hello, I am new here, saw your question concerning joining metal and plastic. I would experiment with some scrap metal and scrap styrene and try a two part epoxy with a five minute set time. JB weld may also work.

1985 kenworth
01-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks i was wondering which product that will work best for this as i stated the bond has to strong and permanent

Espeefan
01-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm curious about this as well. I'm subscribing to see what I can learn, but I to would think some type of epoxy would be your best bet. If not that, perhaps you can add styrene ribs, internally, to the styrene pieces you want to attach to the metal portion of the tank, and simply drill holes through the metal, and then run a self tapping screw into the styrene rib. That way it would also be removable, in case you want to make repairs, or paint the part separately.

1985 kenworth
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
espeefan that would probably work but i am trying to stay away from screws as if you look at the tanker for the duel truck the sides are smooth with the bolts almost hidden.someone today suggested i use ca super glue with the spray excellerator .i have never tried gluing the styrene to metal before so i am hoping someone here will help me with a solution that will work for me..after all this is THEE place for awesome talent and abundance of knowledge:D

Espeefan
01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Dwayne, when I mentioned the screws, I was suggesting the heads would be inside the tanker, and the holes would be blind holes, so that nothing was showing in the outside of the styrene.

I would not try super glue, or any CA glue (same thing). Both will kind of make the metal haze and you probably could polish it off, but I don't think the bond would be very strong. The thing is, if you are painting the trailer, like it looked in the movie, then I would suggest you make the tank out of something else. Styrene, PVC, something like that. It would be much easier bond.

1985 kenworth
01-05-2013, 08:51 PM
that is definetly a good idea but i wonder where i could get oval pvc pipe from.thanks that has put me in another direction i never thought of:)

mazdaparts
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Go to an autobody supply store and see what they may have. There are all kinds of adhesives that glue metal to metal. I'm sure one would work for metal to styrene.

You should check out 3m adhesive website they should have a catalog with all types of adhesives and their properties.

1985 kenworth
01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
thanks for the info i will for sure explore all suggestions here .i really want to do this right and make sure it will hold whichever way i go :)

Hotwheels
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
If you try the epoxy test on scrap as I suggested also scuff the plastic side and the metal side that will be joined together with something like 100 grit sandpaper then apply epoxy. I don't think you could pry them apart, it gives added grip. Same principal used in painting real and model cars and trucks. I have bonded other plastics to metal before on different projects and worked great. Let us know whatever method you go with that works best.

PROBUILDER1964
01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Hello Dwayne When I want to glue plastic to metal I use the "CA" type glue....but you need to have the metal totally clean of grease and any kind of oils. Also ...here is the big clincher..... You have to rough up the metal really well where the glue will go....I like to use 80 grit sand paper or a sanding stick. roughing up the metal will help the glue adhere to it better and give the glue something to grab on to. Hope this will help ? good luck my friend....

Dieselchopper
01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
To oval PVC pipe you can warm it in an oven, press it to desired shape while it cools and sets. I haven't done it yet for modelling but did use it for many purposes when younger and farming. Low tech and cheep to try.

Smokin Joe
01-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I use Locktite Stik'n Seal contact adhesive in a tube with outstanding results.

Clint307
01-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Tamiya Cowboy posted on another forum about a product called Lord Fusor 143 said it works well for bonding styrene to metals but I didn't see where he might have got the product from but I'm sure a google search will provide you that answer.