PDA

View Full Version : knighthauler deep sound

1985 kenworth
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
hello guys and gals maybe you could offer up some suggestions here about the speakersound. as you may know the knighthauler has a unique sound of its own ,sorta like a deep throaty sound because the speaker sits in that huge box which takes up the whole cab .i want that same sound for my kw kinghauler but the cab is way too narrow to fit the knighthauler box in so here is my question.does anyone have a suggestion with what other speaker i could replace the speaker from the mfu unit with that size which would give me the deep sound. someone suggested i go to a speaker shop and get one with the plastic cone instead of the paper one ,just have to make sure the ohms and watts are the rated the same as the one in the mfu.and if you know a certain speaker to use where would be the best place to get one...thanks all

Hotwheels
01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
I talked to Ric today at Garden Trucking. He has a speaker that fits behind the grill in a King Hauler (may also fit a Knight Hauler). I don't know if he sells them individually, it is the speaker he supplies with the purchase of the SMX sound module. He said it sounds very good. You may want to give him a call. If I get it anytime soon I will post a photo, SMX is on backorder so I am not sure when I will receive.

1985 kenworth
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks hotwheels i will do that
Ric is a very good guy to deal with

fhhhstix
01-08-2013, 12:11 PM
The Servonaut SMX has two speakers and it depends on the voltage you plan to run either 12V or 7.2V. The MFU uses the same ohm and watt ratting as the 7.2 Servonaut speaker.

Travis

1985 kenworth
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
will the 2 speakers fit in the kinghauler body with all the other electrics and plug into the mfu...i see alot of talk about this servonaught thingy is it any good:confused:

Espeefan
01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Bigger speakers give more bass, but what helps any speaker is to have a box built around it. Even if you can't make the box as big as what is used in the Knight Hauler, anything will help it. In model railroading, building an enclosure around a speaker small enough to fit inside an HO scale locomotive shell, makes a big difference!

1985 kenworth
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
yea i know thats basically what they did with the knighthauler ,its the same speaker but it sits in a huge box which gives it that sound ,i am going to try building a box abit bigger but still fit inside the body ...and see if that works:confused:

Supermario
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Just remember to drill a small hole in the back of the box to allow the speaker to move and not create a increase in cabinet pressure from the speaker movement. Different size hole will also effect sound. start small and test as you go.

I say this because I am using the stock kinghauler speaker in Susan's truck but I noticed if I lay the speaker facing straight up, the cabinet comes to the edge of the door window and you can see through them unlike with the speaker facing forward which blocks the windows.
With speaker laying on cab floor the rear hole was blocked and when cranked up it sounded like crap. I drilled a hole in the cab floor in line with the hole in the speaker and what a difference in sound! It's a little different than my truck and yet it's the same sound system!

Too bad we can't get Bose to make a system for RC's ! :p:D

Mario

1985 kenworth
01-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Yea you know it, i would be all over that if they did.i am going to start with the box enclosed because thats the cheapest way to go right now, at some point i will try all of the suggestions posted here by everyone until i get that right sound that i want and afterwards i will post which one worked the best.i am putting zeus back together with the new paint job and i really want the deep sound because then it sounds closer to my real kw with the straight pipes

dabears
01-30-2014, 11:51 AM
When I did the yellow KW I put the stock speaker up front by the grill the sound that carried back into the cab added a nice bassy tone to it. it sounded pretty good and was loud as well. nothing sounds as nice as the Knight hauler box's but they are as big as a globe cab, let alone tryin to squeeze into a king

RCP57
01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
You may also want to try adding some Dacron or home insulation to the box. This is an old car audio trick to make the speaker feel like it's in a larger enclosure than it really is. It should help with the low frequency sound...