PDA

View Full Version : Stripping chrome plate on plastic models

Straywolf
01-13-2013, 09:21 AM
This is an instructional video i found about stripping chrome from plastic i hope it's okay to put it here but if not please feel free to move the post. Here is the link to the video by using a thick bleach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXuYX6bv2M

Espeefan
01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
I've had really good luck with a product called Super Clean. It's in a purple bottle, and it also takes anodizing off of aluminum parts. For chrome plated plastic parts, you just soak them for a few mins and they come out bare. A little scrubbing is necessary, if you didn't leave in long enough, or for nooks and crannies. It doesn't ruin or eat away the plastic either.

For anodized aluminum parts, it takes a bit longer. About 10 or 15 mins, depending. I bought some Super Clean in the past at Auto Zone. I'm sure they still have it.

wingnut163
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
E_Z off is good too. oven cleaner, get the no smell one

skip

REV73
01-14-2013, 03:08 PM
right on that wing nut, I was gonna say easy off over cleaner, I just put the parts in a plastic bag, spray a bit in there and let it set for about 5 mins then take the part to the sink and rinse it under the water and give a scrub with an old tooth brush. takes maybe one or 2 applications of the oven cleaner to do the job on most parts.