PDA

View Full Version : good hardware store frame?

cosworth34677
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
hey i'm thnking of starting my next build this weekend and heading to the h.w.store. can i get the u channels there? and if not in the metal stock bin where? silly question i know but need some help.

Espeefan
01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure that many guys buy their c-channel at the hardware store. Most of that stuff is going to be oversized. If you want some nice frame rails, just like the Tamiya ones, talk to Ric at PMD. He's got what you need, and the price is reasonable. I think Tamiya frame rail blanks, in 39" lengths go for $35. That's your very best bet, unless you want to build a truck in a larger scale.

TRUCKMAKER
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I have to agree with Nathan. If your making truck frame rails buy the rails available from Ric, it will save you a lot of time and headaches depending on what kind of tools you have. That being said, yes you can get the u channels at most well know hardware stores. The rails that work with Tamiya are metric and the channels at the hardware store are SAE. They are slightly taller than "tamiya" rails which means any frame brackets or fuel tank brackets that mount to the top and bottom of the rail must be modified to fit which is tedious and makes the mounts quite thin. The web portion of the U channel which is actually known as plywood cap is about a 1/4" too wide and must be cut back. You'll need a good industrial grade metal cutting bandsaw or a mill with a table and vise long enough for the length of rail your making. If you want a prototypical look you'll then want to grind or sand the square out board edges round. Then you might be ready to lay them out and start drilling and tapping holes.
I'm one of those few guys that have done this, its not worth the few bucks you'll save. I did it because the rail supplier at the time was out of product and the current supplier, Ric at PMD, I don't believe carried the rails then. It can be done, look up "Knight Krawler" and you'll see a set of rails made from plywood cap. If you like doing everthing I just said, have fun! Happy building, Kent

cosworth34677
01-19-2013, 02:39 AM
thanks. i have used the flat bar in the past ant never really liked the way it looked. i aslo where building 1/10 scale trucks so it looked better. i'll just save the money and buy so frame rails thanks guys!

Espeefan
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Ric also sells Wedico sized frame rail blanks too, so if you are looking for something a little shorter then the Tamiya style, that is another option to consider.

cosworth34677
01-19-2013, 11:56 AM
good question? im using a bruder man tga body. and the trucks going to be a side dump 4x4 with a wagon style side dump trailer.

its going to use tamiya semi rear axle and a tlt front axle.

Espeefan
01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
For the sake of easy assembly, since you are using Tamiya components, I'd stick to the Tamiya sized frame rails.