PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar D353 (D9G) Engine Build

catmack
01-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I will try to start at the beginning for some who have not seen it yet. I may not load everything at once as there are many pics. and probably should start a separate thread??...the full size engine will follow here and then the model, which is a D353, the engine used in the D9 Caterpillar tractor, some industrial applications used this engine and some ran on NG. This casting number came out of the G which had blown a head gasket, liners were sunk too far(hence turning it into a diesel powered air compressor), block was beyond machining for another rebuild so here is it's fate....or not. I am trying to figure out the loading issues. Can someone assist in a way to get pics loaded easily. I am no pro here, there are many pics and would like to do it without taking all night.

catmack
01-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Here are a couple of pics, have more will try to add to it. I am not sure if I should be posting these here or not. Someone please chime in if I should be posting elsewhere. The first pic is a mock up of the gear train in aluminum, next is the gear housing or wheel case as some might call it and the other three are obvious.

catmack
01-19-2013, 03:09 PM
The block and crank.

catmack
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
This project was started several years ago, do what I can, when I can. I do not expect a speedy completion however, posting here makes me want to get moving along a little faster. LiLGiants will move some posts over with some pics as where I am now.

dabears
01-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Awesome Work so far! I wish I had the equip to do stuff like that

Lil Giants
01-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Forums are indeed a great motivation to help take an idea & turn it into reality.. many resourceful individuals here to help you with your journey to completion. ;)

Azonic
01-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Its so amaing to see pepole like you make scale engines, mad skills! Keep it up!

D8R
01-20-2013, 03:57 AM
That will be an awesome model! From first pics it looks like a solid piece of steel, later it looks like cast block, which way did you go? Will it be runned on petrol or diesel?

Looking forward to updates
Dan

catmack
01-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Dan,

The block is machined from the solid (ductile cast iron), I have drawn it up in 2D and machined manually for roughing, manually machined graphite in the beginning on the right side(except for "CATERPILLAR")* and crank cavity until I retrofitted a small cnc mill to take over that mess. Learning all this is as much fun as the project itself. I have seen yours and it is awesome, I look forward to yours as well. This forum is what gives me more incentive to speed up the progress, like the engine shows we go to every year.
The crank is 4340, the gears will be A2.
The dream and goal of course is to run on diesel however, there is a small part of my brain telling me it may not work. If not or right away, I will run on propane since some of the industrial models ran on mine gas(from what I've been told). I am working on the camshaft, rods, bearings and oil pump now and will post pics when I can. *I started to use my engraving skills on the copper electrode and was working fine but, completed my my mill retro and decided to move forward in graphite.

I have many pics of the process from the start all the way to what it is now, I am having trouble registering on one of these photo sites and frankly don't wish to waste a lot of time with it. If there are pics' of some thing one wants to see, I will load in the mean time. I look forward to seeing your work and everyone elses. There are some really machines out there. As I said earlier, I am impressed with what is happening out there. Colin

td9clyde
02-10-2013, 02:42 PM
this is sooooo cool I like these kinds of build projects

Grainfarmer
02-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Whow! Great job! :eek:

Trucker47
02-20-2013, 09:59 PM
any updates on this!! Its so awesome!

Chris

catmack
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Progress has been slow but trying to fixture crank back up to complete drilling, have lots already drawn, can't keep up with the drawing. Here is the start of one timing gear.