PDA

View Full Version : Need help on body filler choices.

kenworth
09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I need help on choices of what kinds of body filler i could use.

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj399/trucker_2009/100_0177.jpg

Would this be a good choice of putty to use? I have never had an chance to do this step in body work so things are kind of limited so some recommendations would be most helpful.

Brian in PA
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
I need help on choices of what kinds of body filler i could use.

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj399/trucker_2009/100_0177.jpg

Would this be a good choice of putty to use? I have never had an chance to do this step in body work so things are kind of limited so some recommendations would be most helpful.
Any thing that Evercoat makes is a good product. I use the Rage, its for thicker applications. The item you have in your pic I'm not familiar with but it looks like maybe a glazing putty. Read the label and follow it and you wont have any issues! Good luck!!

Brian

kenworth
09-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Thank you i will.

Tamiya Cowboy
09-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Ok that is a Glaze you don't want to get that too thick I use the Green label everyday and I know it says metal glaze on the label it is not I use it on all my body and it has no shrink to it..The Metal glaze filler I use it on plastic everyday and I only have to put 220 or 180 grit scratches in the plastic to make it stick. Rage or rage gold is there best fillers of thick fills but you can get pin holes and some shrinkage with them but you are to use a glaze over them after you get you basic fill done not saying if you dont you did it wrong that is just the way there filler system works. Most of your filling on a toy body is going to be less than a 1/8 inch think the green label is good to 1/4 I would go with the green label you will be very happy with it..

kenworth
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
That is great advice i will take that into thought it is happening soon thanks.

MACK Daddy
10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Although it is not mentioned frequently, I have used "white putty" that I picked up and my LHS.. It avoids the need to mix the hardener and such and works just as good

Just a thought

alfy

Snowman
10-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey could anyone tell me if I can wet sand icing? I read it was a bad idea to wet sand polyester body filler as it absorbs the water, but what about icing? Don't know how else you could get a smooth finish when sanding it.

Tamiya Cowboy
10-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Nick you can wet sand it, it will not hurt it while you are sand it you will find you get a better feathered edge this way also.