PDA

View Full Version : valve leak (is this normal?)

cdm
02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/a22hGYh.jpg

not even 1 hour run time on them... this is what i noticed today. i keep wiping what i can reach and it keeps pooling every 3-5 minutes.

it also seems to pool up with the pump off, albeit slower (since there is always some pressure in the system).

RCP57
02-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I would say that it's not normal.

Lil Giants
02-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Did you disassemble the valve completely too for a look see?

cdm
02-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Did you disassemble the valve completely too for a look see?

No. Just the thumbscrews and the plunger thing that fits onto the servo (it plugs into that pin on the side). Touched nothing else.

Lil Giants
02-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Well, I guess you're gonna do it now. lol ..or send the valve back to Germany for warranty.

I had a plunger rod sticking a few yrs back, simply unscrewed the grub screw at the bottom, the spring pops out too, push the plunger out. Check the o rings carefully for a nick or slice... if that doesn't appear to be the problem, then maybe the tolerances are off - need a new valve.

Consult with your german dealer 1st as to how to proceed so you don't void any warranty. ;)

Lil Giants
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I see in your picture above that you have no slide over collars on your hyd hose - the collar secures the rubber hose to the nipples as the hose may expand under pressure & pop off the barbed nipples. Your pressure is factory set to 12bar?

cdm
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Sent them a word. Its funny swapping it back and forth in the translator to make sure it comes out properly (even though i think they speak english just fine lol).

Taking it out is going to be a nightmare... I think i left enough slack on all hoses to reconnect, if not i'll have to order more and cut new ones. Argh!

Why would it not be broken.. this whole thing has been going way too smooth. It was time to bite me.......... It reminds me of a german car i had a leak in a while back. Kept buying the offending part like 5 times, and each time had to pony up lots of money for all new fluid (drain to replace part). It kept leaking.... I got so pissed at it that i cut the whole linkage out (who needs park interlock anyway), got a cone rubber plug, rtved it all around and hammered it in there, then rtved the outside just for fun. Leak stopped. Still hasn't returned.

Would you happen to have the sizes of the orings?

cdm
02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
I see in your picture above that you have no slide over collars on your hyd hose - the collar secures the rubber hose to the nipples as the hose may expand under pressure & pop off the barbed nipples. Your pressure is factory set to 12bar?

Yes. So it said on the pump details. It might be 10bar too. I haven't touched that in any case.

I have collars on the Y splitters and the extensions for the bucket. These connections are very aggressive 2 notches that i can't imagine coming off or expanding. I haven't noticed anything going on with them anyway. The oil on the hoses/nipples is leak back from my old leaking cyllinder on the boom, and some from the exploding tank a few days ago. Just never cleaned it up very well.

cdm
02-04-2013, 10:00 PM
When things dont work without a reason it bothers me and i cant sleep. So i have to tinker with it.

I got creative with the tissues and mopped fluid up.. ran it some and it was still leaking.

Then i changed back to a flat pump speed and recentered the valves (one was off by a hair with load in the bucket). Then i really wedged tissue whichever way i could to get as much fluid as i could.

Then i ran it for half an hour picking water out of a bowl (good practice) and could not see any significant accumulation of fluid. There is still some but not sure if fresh or left over. Certainly was not pooling like before within 3 minutes.

I cleaned whatever else i could and parked it for the night. Will report later if it leaks again... I am curious if the system just didn't like the variable speed (idle up if you will) and or if it was some sort of a settling issue. I hope its either and not a busted valve block. More good news, i have enough slack on all wires to cut and refit.

My head hurts now. Sorry for all the text but i think im the first one to run variable speed. If that turns to be it, it would be good to know.

Tp_hofmann
02-05-2013, 05:04 AM
If you need help for the translation to german language drop me a pn :)

For the valve(leimbach): this shouldt be dripping at all .

Br,
Tom

Lil Giants
02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
The site you're dealing with, I remember the site owner when he 1st started it back in 06 or 07, he used the handle Doc Gear on the garden, he wrote near perfect english. ;)

The squish collars may not be necessary right now on the double barb nipples with the low working press you currently have, but over time with the constant flex of the rubber hose with the changing pressure may pop a hose off & create another ugly mess to clean up. :(

Along with the use of mini shop towels (toliet paper :D) I use Q tips as well to soak up oil from tight areas, and Q tips soaked with thinner to wash away the oil film as much as possible. But still it'll collect dirt & fine dust... ocassional use of pressured air cleaning & hopefully no grit get's packed in an area to cause binding of a valve.

All my hyd models have been converted to variable speed with no leak problems, but I have used the oem supplied motors for the pump. Do you have any idea how fast your motor swap is spinning? Perhaps you could be pushing the oil too hard. :confused:

I've had troubles with leaky cyls out of the box, but never a new valve... not to say it couldn't happen... the tolerances wouldn't have to be off by much with the plunger rod & valve bore, and the possiblity of a nicked o ring during assemebly too... I wonder how many pumps, valves, cyls Leimbach makes in a yr for the world market... you see their stuff everywhere! I heard yrs ago that it was just a father & son working in a small shop... the ol man must be just about 65 now.

cdm
02-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks Tom.

If they have the machinery set up they can roll out quite a few of them in a day. I doubt they are hand mending each component. I dont know.. sounds like a fun job anyway.

I was about to deal with the motor next. It is fast, something like 2000kv in brushless terms. Maybe.. brushed is a little hard to equate due to all the variances. And their no load rating is worth nothing under load. 2000kv can turn into 200kv etc. But if we go by the sound 60-70% rpm sounds about right and is the minimum i can go for any speed with 2 or more valves working. With the mixes i was pushing 100 and it was really really screaming. Sadly there is no way i could make it stop at a certain range; mixing overrides that as it is cummulative for each mix. But thats the next step ill deal with.. motor. Probably go to a 45turn torquemaster.

I looked at it a few minutes ago and can't see any oil on there. Haven't run it for the day yet.

Doc got back to me.. either send it back so leim can service it or he can send me new seals if im comfortable doing it myself. I opted for new seals.

Alright.. once im done working out all the issues (motor, leaks, what else not) and done with the body i'll sleeve the remaining nipple connections :) I also need to make some proper hose holders for the boom. Zip ties are great, just not very authentic.

cdm
02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
parts in the mail, still seeping a bit but not pooling like before. i suppose acceptable and will have to do until parts get here to rebuild it. meanwhile i came across this, apparently new for 2013

http://shop.premacon.com/product_info.php?products_id=531

That will solve all my cycling speed issues with all 3 valves engaged... i think. There is a 900ml version as well.

anybody have any experience with this one or liebher parts in general? fittings should be 3mm standard and 2.5/2.7mm id hose (negligible difference id say)

buzzy16
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
wow, that pump will give you a truck full of digging power!! :D

Tp_hofmann
02-08-2013, 10:55 PM
parts in the mail, still seeping a bit but not pooling like before. i suppose acceptable and will have to do until parts get here to rebuild it. meanwhile i came across this, apparently new for 2013

http://shop.premacon.com/product_info.php?products_id=531

That will solve all my cycling speed issues with all 3 valves engaged... i think. There is a 900ml version as well.

anybody have any experience with this one or liebher parts in general? fittings should be 3mm standard and 2.5/2.7mm id hose (negligible difference id say)

You can contact martin kampshoff as well: http://www.modellbau-kampshoff.de.tl/Hydraulikpumpen.htm

Br,
Tom

carp
02-09-2013, 12:11 PM
hrz5 should be more than enough for what you need mine is a bit slow with 25mm cyl on stick and 20mm on bucket, i had a flyer through the mail today from jungfluid quoting 155euro for a pump and tank together, its strange because when i wanted to buy a pump from them they set everything up but didnt give me the bank address so i couldnt complete the transfer and then they didnt respond to any more of my emails but then all of a sudden i get some flyers through the post from them! wierd

cdm
02-09-2013, 12:41 PM
hrz5 should be more than enough for what you need mine is a bit slow with 25mm cyl on stick and 20mm on bucket, i had a flyer through the mail today from jungfluid quoting 155euro for a pump and tank together, its strange because when i wanted to buy a pump from them they set everything up but didnt give me the bank address so i couldnt complete the transfer and then they didnt respond to any more of my emails but then all of a sudden i get some flyers through the post from them! wierd

Yea it seems getting some of these products is "impossible". Do damitz still have a 10 year waiting list for their hydro motors i wonder

premacon has great price on tubing. ill put in a test order with them and see how they handle it.

carp
02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Try your local hydraulic shop ask for pneumatic hose rated at 20bar or something near, might save you postage costs. Premacon seems quite good on prices for pumps, i will definatly order my next one from there or maybe that rotary actuator they have. Did you manage to get all your fittings sorted after?

cdm
02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes i got them to work with no hoses kinks or pull. When i redo the block ill fit in the newest batch of those since i have to cut and rehose it all anyway.

Letter postage is under 7E for up to 1/2kg. It is parcel that really kills the bank and express is stupid expensive (and slow, so really pointless).

If you get that pump before i do, let me know how you like it.

carp
02-10-2013, 12:03 AM
I already have the ipz hr5, i set mine up as a direct drive :
http://imageshack.us/a/img593/4241/imag0273jq.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/imag0273jq.jpg/)
here is a video 2x16mm on boom 20mm on stick and 16mm on bucket using 4mm hoses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztxGqr5GWlE&feature=youtu.be it was fast enough with the cylinder i had on in the vid but now i put bigger ones on its a bit sluggish, not really slow just not fast enough for me :p

cdm
03-05-2013, 06:53 AM
That pump is certainly on my list then. Do you have the 600 or 900ml version? Im thinking 900 will be way too much for the 4mm OD hoses. Hopefully next month i'll be able to order it, im all purchased out for right now. Even after extending the lameback reservoir if you go on an incline facing away from the pump it will leave the suction port dry and suck air in..

Alright took the valves apart.. there might be a miniscule nick on one ring but not really sure. however there are obvious machining burrs around the oring seat on another valve which might result in the ring catching on the edges and not being able to fully expand, resulting in the leak. No it was impossible to tell which valve was leaking, even after repeated wipes and what not.

My replacements were sent non registered so still not here but i have no problems sourcing orings down to 1.5mm ID so i'll pick a bag of 100 and roll with it, after i xacto debur the plunger. Everything else looks ok.

carp
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
900ml i think, how big are the rc4wd cylinder you are using? im sure someone said they are 18mm? As for the tank, use an rc car/heli fuel tank much better capacity

cdm
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
900ml i think, how big are the rc4wd cylinder you are using? im sure someone said they are 18mm? As for the tank, use an rc car/heli fuel tank much better capacity

Outside is 19mm but the piston gasket is 16mmID @1.5mm thick so about 17.5mm or so inside bore.. i have to measure it again for exact sizes. The shaft is something odd like 7.6/7/8mm however. Really weird number

for some reason at first i thought they were 14. not sure why :rolleyes::confused: