PDA

View Full Version : clifford show roadway project

civic83
02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi guys, we need to come up with a roadway sysem for clifford, does anyone have any ideas? last years worked (kind of) in a pinch but I think it would be good if we came up with some sort of "standard" so everyone could make a few panels or whatever that will all join up .

whats everyone think? also have to take into account how sharkeys inspection station will connect and possibly other buildings / units.

Supermario
02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Just curious Shawn.... Do you still have the sheets from last year?
I'm assuming we want to change the layout from last year? How about each of us make up a simple sketch of what we think would work? Then we can figure out who can make what and bring it all together?

Mario

Supermario
02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
So I said a simple drawing so dont laugh at my purty drawring...lol

Working from last years set up i thought it would be nice to just add a few things. Exact locations can vary of course. The gravel pit thing is for my new loader and dump trailer. Of course i will build and bring those areas:D. I thought 2 areas for hauling from one point to another back and forth. I thought a staging area would be nice to keep human traffic on the layout to a minimum.
Lets talk! whats good, whats bad??

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/Black%20passion%20%20Pete/Me%20n%20Sue%20and%20our%20real%20life%20work%20tr ucks/Untitled_zpsdc08b8e7.png

Mario

civic83
02-06-2013, 06:04 AM
a roundabout? are you crazy those things suck lol (jk), ya mario I like the looks of that, so from what i see its about the same length as last year but maybe twice as wide? I still have the old panels but i think they are not worth using, too thin and will likely warp bad again like last time. also, how to join them? I think last years method would work if we used actual plywood instead of chip board for the pieces underneath.

Mama Sue
02-06-2013, 06:58 AM
This girl thinks you guys are doing a wonderful job and I will sit back and look pretty while you guys exercise your brains and muscles..lol..Shawn, have you talked Jen into operating some of your RC's so I'm not the only woman....

civic83
02-06-2013, 08:22 AM
LOL Mama Sue, she wont, shes afraid of damaging one of them or someone elses ( even tho ive told her a million times she'd be fine), my daughter wants to in the worst way but shes only 6 and so far ive only let her drive around trailerless. My brother is getting married this summer and is talking of doing it that weekend! nothing in stone yet tho! Ill find a way to pull it all off....

Supermario
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
a roundabout? are you crazy those things suck lol (jk), ya mario I like the looks of that, so from what i see its about the same length as last year but maybe twice as wide? I still have the old panels but i think they are not worth using, too thin and will likely warp bad again like last time. also, how to join them? I think last years method would work if we used actual plywood instead of chip board for the pieces underneath.

Roundabout? Yup, it's gonna be around about 25C , sunny skies and a great event :) lol

I figured it would be better to add width instead of length to the course. That was 2 nice straight stretches last year, way longer than the roads at the Indy event ( except for cruising the hallways of the Marriott which was a blast:D )
Anyway, twice as wide would be ideal. I know that's a lot more lumber but to have at least a 4 ft expansion instead of 8?
Another thing, if Dwayne brings his real truck that means we have compressed air which means I can bring a nail gun for any on site assembly. We should try and use last years material which is already bought and paid for and yes, if we use something like a 1X6 to secure the sheet joints the uneven edges won't happen? This way, the cost of this years layout is only an expansion instead of a complete revamp. Plywood is great but it's not cheap:eek:

I'm sure all your plans will work out Shawn. Remember how one minute I wasn't going to make it to the show and at the last minute things worked out:):);):D

Mario

REV73
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Dwayne, is there any chance they would let us use the covered picnic area so we wouldn't have to struggle with the uneven ground???

Supermario
02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Dwayne, is there any chance they would let us use the covered picnic area so we wouldn't have to struggle with the uneven ground???

Sorry Mike, I talked to Dwayne, it ain't gonna happen.
Even a flat dirt surface would work, the sheets could be so much thinner , lighter, cheaper....the reason for last years location was for exposure to the crowds as we were in the center of it all.

REV73
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
it would be nice to have enough of those pop up tents to cover the entire area I for one was roasted at the end of the day and spent more time in my tent due to the heat than I really wanted too... wonder how much trouble it would be to get a big tent.

Mama Sue
02-07-2013, 12:07 AM
I was wondering the same thing...It would add overhead protection from the sun/heat and maybe keep the ground a bit cooler..Just wasn't sure about price or what's in the area.

civic83
02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
I agree sharkey, problem here is nobody knows how to use them, and I find alot of them are too small. Theres two that we drive through saturday going to market and they are so small rigs end up hopping curbs just to get around them! our truck is ok (26' freightliner) but I feel sorry for the rig drivers.

on the roadway topic, I still have all the old panels, tarped up outside, have to see if they are still useable. I think they would be ok if we had a better joining method. maybe we sould arrange a get together like Rev suggested in his other thread, we could try some stuff out....

Finster
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi guys,

I don't know what your panels look like or how you had them arranged so I might be way off here, but what about making a temple and using a router to make a duel dovetail shape? Like this: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/images/butterflyjoint.jpg

REV73
02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Shawn those trucks running over the curbs on the inside of the roundabouts is exactly the way they are supposed to work and exactly how they were designed...I had to sit through a city planning meeting last year on how they are built and why they are designed the way they are...however tons of people don't know what they are doing once inside them, that is true. Personally I love them, just like Sharkey says they keep the traffic moving!

Supermario
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi guys,

I don't know what your panels look like or how you had them arranged so I might be way off here, but what about making a temple and using a router to make a duel dovetail shape? Like this: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/images/butterflyjoint.jpg

Heres a few pics from last years show. You can see the dishing of the sheets and the edges were killer if you caught one going too fast:eek:
it worked fine for the first few hours but then the sun was so hot that day it warped the boards and melted anyone standing in it!
Yeah, some type of tent would be nice but it would need to be pretty big to cover the entire course:eek:
Susan and I did purchase the exact same canopy that you guys have and i think we can borrow another from a friend which gets us up to 5 canopys ?

anyway, heres the pics of what was a decent first time track and a great time!:D

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/custom%20reefer%20trailer%20by%20spudd/image_zps91ecf1d5.jpg

Notice alot of bumpers are lower than the boards, trucks are leaning...:D

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/custom%20reefer%20trailer%20by%20spudd/image-02_zps2504e8af.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/custom%20reefer%20trailer%20by%20spudd/IMG_0254_zpse2055b42.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/custom%20reefer%20trailer%20by%20spudd/IMG_0264_zps8b560655.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/custom%20reefer%20trailer%20by%20spudd/IMG_0214_zpsc677e517.jpg

doodlebug
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Roundabouts are the reason my trailer runs on the sidewalk, they are poorly engineered, and too small for the Neighborhood.
Cheer's, Neil.

1985 kenworth
02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
whatever we do guys ...using the covered concrete slab is out of the question..the park is owned by the rotary club and they get revenue from the beer and food tents there and we cannot ask them for it ..like last year the prez is going to give us the same area i believe so we are in the middle of the park.it is fast approaching so we need to figure out something very soon and get started on it.:)

civic83
02-12-2013, 03:52 AM
i think the old panels may work if we change the way they are joined. last year we used strips of particle board about 8 inches wide underneath , the probelm was the screws pulled out after a while. I think if we used wider strips of actual plywood so teh screws have something to bite into it may be better? between the different material and larger overlap it may fix the dishing, whats everyone think?

doodlebug
02-12-2013, 05:40 AM
What about those double c clips that are used on roofing sheets of plywood or particle board? Hope some of the carpenters will chime in!
Cheers, Neil.

Supermario
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM
What about those double c clips that are used on roofing sheets of plywood or particle board? Hope some of the carpenters will chime in!
Cheers, Neil.

That's exactly what I was thinking of Neil! I thought they called them H clips but ya, like a double C to hold the sheets in place. We could drill a small hole through them and screw into sheets.
What exactly are they called so when I go to the hardware store the guy knows what I'm talkin bout?

Mario

Finster
02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
I've heard them called H-clips and sheathing clips, although there are probably other names for them.

Goose19
02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
what about building a table type set up out of 2x4s? something to get it off the ground?

I wasnt at clifford last year. I hope to get out this year. how big was the area?

I could probably get a sheet or 2 of plywood, make it into a truck stop or something.

I have a 1/2 ton and access to a few different trailers (1:1 scale lol) if needed.

civic83
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
the layout was about 64x20 if i remember correctly? a table would be out of the question I would think. im pretty sure it was 8 sheets of plywood long but cant remeber the width for sure

Supermario
02-14-2013, 11:36 AM
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/custom%20reefer%20trailer%20by%20spudd/IMG_0214_zpsc677e517.jpg[/QUOTE]

I count 8 sheets X 4 sheets. So if we add to that we need to go 8X6 sheets would be ideal. Which means we need another 8 sheets at least or minimum of 6.
I keep forgetting to go to Rona and check on those clips:eek::(:rolleyes:
For sure this weekend!

Mario

Goose19
02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
the layout was about 64x20 if i remember correctly? a table would be out of the question I would think. im pretty sure it was 8 sheets of plywood long but cant remeber the width for sure

sorry, not a table, just a 2x4 frame under neath the plywood to make it a bit more rigid, and allow it to be leveled out some with shims or whatever may be available. so if each member could get together a sheet of ply wood and 3 8ft 2x4s, (2 lengthwise and one cut in half, to make 2 across) there'd be a pretty decent roadway layed out.

just an idea.

WhiteWolf McBride
02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Heck...

Even 2x2's would be enough. You just put the 'stiffener' joints in the middle of each sheet of ply.

When I made my game table (BattleTech) I used 2x4's, and placed heavy door hinges at the corners so I could easily dis-assemble the beast. Thats another option, square-frame each 'section', wait until ya get to the meet, then mount the hinges to 'mate' the stiffened sections.

And I agree, a full trestle invites too much movement if bumped, and trucks going 'Off the Edge of the Earth' so to speak. But just an underframe would definately eliminate that warpage.

Sealing the boards might help too, as I'd bet that was caused by the moisture of the grass/ground under them, and the heat/sunlight above.

Just some idle observations,
WhiteWolf

PS: when/where is this show? Its not in the thread...

1985 kenworth
02-15-2013, 06:53 AM
This show is called the great lakes classic truck and car show.its huge and put on by the actual truck club i am a member of with my real kenworth.i talked to the prez when i joined 2 years ago and mentioned that i build and run r/c trucks i sent him a few pictures and like alot of folks he never knew they existed.he asked me to bring one of mine to a meet and greet at another members house.i did and the camera phones were going off like crazy.i told him i know some other guys that have the trucks also and would it be okay to invite them to the show.he said it would be okay just let him know who is coming as they charge admission to get in.and i would need to be there so the guys would get in free if they were coming to join in the mini truck show within the show.if any of you can and want to come out and run your stuff please let ME know in advance so i can let the club know about you.they enjoyed this last year so much that the prez would like to have us back again this year and possibly every year there after..the show is held every july 1st weekend,there is camping allowed on site and some local hotels give great rates because of the show.it is held in clifford ontario,a small little one horse town and the folks welcome us because they like to see all of the trucks and the fact that we behave when we are in their town

1985 kenworth
02-15-2013, 07:10 AM
The area that he chose to give us puts us smack in the middle of the park that way everyone can find us. The area is all grass with a little uneven spots i mean after all its a park.the area we were in last year will probably be where we will be again this year. Its not too bad but i think the biggest issue here is the boards were curling up from the heat.you have to expect that because its cheap pressed wood which is exactly what it says...pieces of wood pressed together.i think if we all chipped in got some plywood and a decent way to join them we would have no problems this year.that and keeping off of them or if you need to walk on it..pick the middle of the board and not at the weakest part which is the joints.plywood is very stiff and strong and a solid thickness which will give the clips/screws something to bite into and it will be thick enough to withstand warping from the heat.thats my opinion. Laying it out on the ground will be fine. Any uneven spots under it will be fine because plywood is stiff and its only our trucks running on it and the plywood will stay rigid.if we are going to do this we need to plan the layout and get together a few weekends soon as weather gets good and build it.if we spend alittle bit of money and do it right. I am sure we can reuse it over and over again not just for clifford but for all of the venues that we attend

civic83
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Ok, so who all is willing to go in on the cost? I know I am (to a point, funds are not unlimited lol), what about doing a design layout and each member is responsible for a certain area?

Supermario
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm willing to chip in some cash for sure. I plan on bringing a couple sheets for the gravel pit area I have in mind but I really don't want to haul a truckload of plywood 1,000 km :eek: So a little more cash donation is better for me.
Put me down for $75.
If 6 people chip in 50 each, that 300 will go along way for along time as Dwayne mentioned. Pay once, enjoy many times:)

Come on guys, there are a lot more people on this forum who live within reasonable range of this event than there was last year. I would consider it a disappointment if we don't have more than 6 attend:(

I don't want to sound like I'm putting a price tag on donation expectations either. The 50 dollar thing was just a number. Anything to help the cause but only what a person can spare helps.

This year, Susan and I plan on booking extra days off, drive down a day early, and camp out at the fairgrounds. Making a camping , RC show kinda trip...lol
Looking forward to seeing you guys again and lots of new faces:)

Mario

REV73
02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
shawn the problem I see with your idea of each taking a piece and completing it is that if the project is not done at the same time with everyone who can attend actually being there, the likelihood of the parts all meshing and looking decent are in my opinion slim to none. I agree that we do need some decent plywood for starters and would be willing to chip in some cash, as always we would be able to set up a work bee at the fairgrounds like we did last year that way we could have it either indoors or outside depending on the weather. thoughts???

civic83
02-25-2013, 10:49 AM
ya we should set something up REV, ill chip in for sure, looks like im unable to attend this year tho, my brothers planned his wedding for that weekend :(

Supermario
02-25-2013, 12:27 PM
ya we should set something up REV, ill chip in for sure, looks like im unable to attend this year tho, my brothers planned his wedding for that weekend :(

Obviously your brother don't like Rc trucks eh? :rolleyes:;):)

Sorry to hear Shawn, won't be the same without ya man:(
I was looking forward to showing you our new toys:D:)

Well, that settles it. Your just going to have to make plans for the Indy show:D

Mario

civic83
02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
when is Indy? I'd have to get a passport!

dabears
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
when is Indy? I'd have to get a passport!

August

Goose19
03-01-2013, 10:44 AM
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5006

what about that set up? make the road more cost effective. could add scenery/roadside stuff at a later date.

Supermario
03-01-2013, 11:22 AM
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5006

what about that set up? make the road more cost effective. could add scenery/roadside stuff at a later date.

Ive seen this one and yes, it would be great stuff at home in the back yard or on gravel but the grass at the location is very healthy and very thick:eek:

that brings up a good question.... if we could cut the grass prior to set up would help provide a better base? I dont think the fairground would mind if we did eh? lol

Mario

Goose19
03-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Ive seen this one and yes, it would be great stuff at home in the back yard or on gravel but the grass at the location is very healthy and very thick:eek:

that brings up a good question.... if we could cut the grass prior to set up would help provide a better base? I dont think the fairground would mind if we did eh? lol

Mario

if you work at a CAT dealer....... can you bring a roller? LOL

WhiteWolf McBride
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
For the cross-border travellers attending meets:

For us Canucks that are gonna travel south (like to Indy) on the ground, it seems all we need is this 'Extended Driver's Licence' thing. Cheaper and easier to get than a passport, apparently, and good for any ground transport. Check it out.

Mebbe you guys have something similar from your side of the 49th?

WhiteWolf

Goose19
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
For the cross-border travellers attending meets:

For us Canucks that are gonna travel south (like to Indy) on the ground, it seems all we need is this 'Extended Driver's Licence' thing. Cheaper and easier to get than a passport, apparently, and good for any ground transport. Check it out.

Mebbe you guys have something similar from your side of the 49th?

WhiteWolf

thats only (at the moment) in the state of florida. anywhere else all is good

Mama Sue
03-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Whitewolf is correct Shawn, all you would need is an enhanced drivers license to go to Indy. You can apply for it anytime of the year, not just on renewal. There is a fee and if you are driving to anywhere in the states its a viable substitute for a passport..This is what I use. I can give you the info if you want.

I like the puzzle idea for the roadway system too..You can get a few pieces out of a sheet of plywood, less weight to travel with, more road to drive on...What if we had a tarp that we could lay under the pieces? Just my 2 cents-which isn't worth much anymore as the Canadian mint isnt making pennies anymore..lol

Susan

Goose19
03-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Just my 2 cents-which isn't worth much anymore as the Canadian mint isnt making pennies anymore..lol

Susan

LOL!!!!!

WhiteWolf McBride
03-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Sue,

Thats a good idea. Mebbe even combine the two, both mowing the lawn under it, THEN putting the tarp down? Plus having a mowed section around the outer edge might keep the younguns a bit back, or not...

My dad has one of those push-mowers, if I can make it, and we can't secure a power one, bet I could borrow it. Be a bit of a job, but it'd get done!

How big is the planned layout? As for sources, can we borrow one (know some of ya might have sources) or do we buy the tarps (Princess Auto often has huge ones on sale)

I dunno what my summer is like, but I'm going to try to make it. Haven't met any of the tankers or truckers, and would like ~someone~ that can vouch that I'm ~real~ :)

PS: Put in your two-cents-worth twice, then its worth 4, and they round up!

Supermario
03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey all. I found a reasonably priced tent that can cover 20X24 ft. Sure would help give some cover from that wicked hot sun like last year:eek:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1152473

Mario

civic83
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Has anyone managed to find any affordable plywood to use? I was at Lowes last night and they have some 3/8 sheathing for 17.45 a sheet. Im thinking it would work well, plus its cheap and light. we could layer the old particle board roadway under it for support? Let me know guys, we need to purchase this stuff and get it layed out soon.!

civic83
04-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Also, if Mario and Sue want to chip in, Just send me the cash and Ill purchase the sheets here and get them painted up.

Supermario
04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Also, if Mario and Sue want to chip in, Just send me the cash and Ill purchase the sheets here and get them painted up.

Sounds good Shawn. PM sent for details.

Mario

WhiteWolf McBride
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Hold on a sec...

For that price you could get corrugated plastic sheet (think election signs/lawn signs/etc.) same 4' x8' size, and if you're gonna put a frame of sorts under it, like 2"x2", heck, the sheets are MUCH lighter.

Just a thought.

REV73
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
whitewolf, where are you from exactly??

civic83
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Where can these sheets be purchased?

WhiteWolf McBride
04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Ottawa. wrong end of the lower province.

As for the sheets, look in Rona, Home Depot, or one other odd place: the local moving companies that sell boxes and sheet corrugated cardboard to make your own boxes.

civic83
04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
So, last years road consisted of 19 4x8 sheets, if we use the stuff I found at 17.45 a sheet, it would come to 331.55 for the roads, I suggest we also use last years stuff under this, but stager the sheets so the joints on the bottom layer are in the middle of the top sheets. I figure that should make it pretty solid. we can drive screws down through the top sheets into the lower ones. If we expand the layout like mario suggested, we would need to add another 13 sheets, for an additional 226.85, plus we would need to buy a few sheets of the stuff we used last year ( or equivalent) to layer underneath.

i suggest due to cost we keep it the same as last year for this time, and add the gravel areas and inspection station to the edges. Then, next year add more road.

whats everyones thoughts? Who all is in for splitting up the cost? I know Mario and I are in, are any of the other ontario guys interested in coming?, goose, whitewolf, ect?

One more thing, If anyone needs shirts, let me know, I suggest light colours, the black was deadly in the sun last year lol. What about hats? I might be able to get some of them too.

WhiteWolf McBride
04-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Civic,

I'll try to make it, but I probably won't know until the week before. The ups and downs of Crohns and all (*sigh*)

Whats it like for cheap accomodations down there? If I had to, I could sack out on an air-mattress in a pup-tent, long as weather is decent.

As for the roadway patching, why not cut the worst 4x8's into 4x2's, and use 'em as lap-joints under/between the 4x8's. Only thing there is that they wouldn't support the whole roadway being double-thick. Hence the 2x2 'frames' idea...

And if you had the funds and bought a load of the corrugated plastic in-bulk, you might get a discount. Worth asking. (I don't say 'we', as I don't consider myself a member until I show up and contribute) Benefit of the plastic is it won't warp with the moisture like the wood will. Hey, maybe use it as the underlayer? (just tossing more ideas...)

As for getting the plastic 'gratis' off-season, watch for local elections. Any-time after 20:00 on election night, on public property, the signs are fair game. I've got two 4x8's and a number of smaller pieces here in 'storage'. Getting them to Clifford on my roof would probably wreck 'em without some bracing ('06 Ford Focus Wagon)

If I come, and its done, I'll try to bring my 'bridge' that was started for my 1/16 tanks (at least one will be load on my Goldhofer, if its done (Canada Post says its in Customs now... Whee!) I'll also bring my cheapie Bruder one that I have. Just gotta get the beasts running... *sigh*

WhiteWolf

Supermario
04-25-2013, 04:55 PM
As much as we would all love a bigger course. I think we should stick with last years layout for now. After all, the road can only be as big as the club eh?
More members, more interest equals more road in the future.:rolleyes:

Mario

civic83
04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
I agree Mario, we can add boards to the sides for your gravel area easy enough this year, as well as one for staging the trucks on and off the layout. next year we can double it up and have some real fun!

REV73
04-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree with the thought that we basically stick with what we had last year with the addition of a few extra pieces. we also have to remember that this all takes a lot of time to set up not to mention that someone has to lug it all over hells half acre, and with it being just a one day show that makes for a ton of work both before and after the event. Dwayne, is there a chance that the truck club could maybe help us out a bit with the purchase of some material. And are there any other shows besides the one that I am organizing that we could look at taking part in...I would like to get out to the masses more if possible...thoughts.

WhiteWolf McBride
05-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Rev, and anyone else who ~knows~,

One day show? The listing online says Friday-Sunday, 28-30th of June. Is the display only for one day (I assume the Saturday) Also, any fees for us new people (not counting any contributions to the roadway fund) as that needs to be factored into the 'bill'.

Discounts on accomodations, freebies if any; whats the whole 'arrangement' with the people there? I'm on a budget (like a quite a few of us here) so these Details can make or break a long distance outing.

I mapped it out in Google, its a chunk further than the Ancaster event: out 416/401 and then up 6 & west on 9, 615kms & 6+h vs 525km & 5h to the Ancaster event.

Details, its all in the details. And, importantly, RAIN. Has anyone checked an almanac to see what the weather is ~supposed~ to be like that weekend? And do we have an alternate inside location ~if~ Nature decides to 'take a leak' on us?

WhiteWolf
- who's starting to feel the heat (25c up here this week, *whine*)

civic83
05-06-2013, 10:16 AM
whitewolf, theres no fees, you get into the show for free when you arrive tell them your with the swomta model truck display. We only do the saturday mostly because of time comittments. There are no other discounts or anything in the town as far as I know, but they do offer onsite camping facilities.

Anyone who is coming for sure gets a free swomta tshirt and hat (provided by me), altho like you mentioned donations to help fund the club are appreciated.

If the event gets rained out unfortunately theres very little we can do about that, it would suck!

civic83
05-06-2013, 10:18 AM
That reminds me, anyone needing a new swomta shirt ( they are the same style as last year) pm me with names and sizes, also let me know if you would like a hat, im having some ball caps made up!

1985 kenworth
05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
you need to let me or shawn know if you are coming and shawn can tell me so i can let them know .you might have to pay to get in but you will be reimbursed back that same day ,if its like it was last year but if i or someone is there to verify you like shawn or any of us they will probably just waive the fee.the prez got back to me if you are wondering about camping you need to contact Joanne Zurbrigg at 519-335-6448 ,there is a few hotels in the area you can stay(at your cost) and they have taxi service to and from the grounds.the best for all to do is google clifford ontario hotels and motels and get a list of them and call them to reserve a room ,they do sell out very quickly as people come from all over for this event,even from the usa.they had a list of the hotels and motels that have accomodations but i never thought to pick one up .if you do go i will make sure anyone gets one for future reference.as mike said there are no freebies or discounts of any ,you just get in for free if you are part of the r/c truck display/course.if you require any more info.pm me and i can try to help you as best i can ..thank you and hope to see a large group this year:)

civic83
05-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Ok guys, looks like sunday may 26th at the Ancaster fairgrounds to meet up and get the new road system painted ready to go, I propose about 10AM? whats everyone think. Who all would be in? we could bring some trucks to run too if time permits ;

REV73
05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
lets meet as early as possible, to make sure we have time to run after the work is done...I would suggest no later than 10 is a good start time.

civic83
05-17-2013, 07:28 AM
ok so who all is good for the 26th for sure? im ordering the plywood early this week so I know we have it for sure. Ill also grab the paint. Is someone able to buy some rollers and brushes? figure a couple rolls of shop towels too for cleanup.

Any of the "non members" that want to come for a meet and greet are welcome as well.

REV73
05-17-2013, 06:47 PM
I will be there. I could get the rollers also. is 3 enough, or do we need more?

WhiteWolf McBride
05-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Again:

Has anyone checked the Farmers Almanac to see what kinda weather we are supposed to get?

Just an idea... they are more often right than the blasted forecasters at Environment Canada...

I'd hate to start my drive in the sun here in Ottawa, and get there to find it leakin' that Haitch-Two-Oh-no on the park. Ya just never know with that witch Nature, eh?

WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf McBride
05-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Well...

I googled for weather, and got this from the Old Farmer's Almanac site:

JUNE 2013: temperature 15.5°C (2°C below avg.); precipitation 110mm (30mm above avg.);
Jun 1-4: Sunny, warm east; showers, cool west;
Jun 5-22: A few t-storms, cool;
Jun 23-28: Sunny east, scattered t-storms west; warm, then cool;
Jun 29-30: T-storms east, sunny west; cool.

Their map shows 'east' being Toronto-wards, west being Thunder Bay-wards.

Old Farmers Almanac Weather (http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/ca/3)

So... the Clifford show may get wet. Are there plans if it rains?

civic83
05-21-2013, 05:14 PM
unfortunately if it rains theres nothing we can do about it. we can set up the trucks on tables under our tents but thats about it.

I'll be there either way.

1985 kenworth
05-22-2013, 11:10 PM
you are coming now !

1985 kenworth
05-22-2013, 11:13 PM
i'm sorry i don't listen to that stuff.i check the day before .nobody can predict the weather anymore:rolleyes:.....mother nature dictates what she will do and when;) ,i say wait until the day before or so then decide:),i agree either way if everything goes good with me i will be there too

civic83
05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
ok guys, just got back from lowes, bought and paid for the plywood, see you all sunday!

1985 kenworth
05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j436/1985kenworth/2013-05-26_14-51-44_878_zps876aa748.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/1985kenworth/media/2013-05-26_14-51-44_878_zps876aa748.jpg.html)here is a quick look at the roadway we were painting this past suinday for the clifford show.thats mike(rev73) sorta posing in the middle..actually i don't think he knew i was taking pictures:p

Supermario
05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Awesome work guys!!! The road looks wicked:D:cool: wish we could've been there to help. I'm really getting anxious now! Can't wait for the show, it's going to be a blast for sure.:D

Mario

civic83
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Dont sweat it Mario, I know you guys would be there if it wasnt like half a days travel each way lol.

we still have a few things to add, like the areas at each end for the factories, and didnt you want an area to play in the dirt? let me know and we can add it. Also want to add working traffic lights at the center intersection if time / money allows.

We have also planned for a parking area where we can put our trucks.

woodhog
05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Roadways looks good that will be a nice addition to the show yall did a good job:D

REV73
05-27-2013, 04:21 PM
I did not know you were taking pictures, and you have not yet received my expressed written consent to have my picture plastered all over the interweb.....my legal team will be contacting you shortly! and yes the road looks good....but there are all these little white marks on the blacktop, and my tires come to think of it...

1985 kenworth
05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Sorry mike.... but my people already contacted your people and we already settled out of court so you need to speak with your legal team.... oh wait i heard one of them say something about the bahamas....and something about they can finally open their bar in the Cayman islands :eek::D

Supermario
05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Dont sweat it Mario, I know you guys would be there if it wasnt like half a days travel each way lol.

we still have a few things to add, like the areas at each end for the factories, and didnt you want an area to play in the dirt? let me know and we can add it. Also want to add working traffic lights at the center intersection if time / money allows.

We have also planned for a parking area where we can put our trucks.

Thanks Shawn. Not to worry bout the dirt area, I was planning on bringing them with us:). What is the roadway thickness by the way?

Ohh, and by the way, Mike, Dwayne ...if you keep talking bout lawyers, the next thing ya know we're gonna need RC insurance to run on the Clifford track! Lol
How much is the deductible for a twisted frame wreck?? :p:lol:

Mario

1985 kenworth
05-28-2013, 03:12 AM
i wouldn't know ...i do what most others do...i didn't go through my insurance:lol:

civic83
05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
The roadway is 3/8 sheathing. Underneath we are going to join them with 1/2 inch pieces

Also I ordered a traffic light controller today for the intersection!

civic83
06-25-2013, 06:38 AM
The countdown is on! everyone ready????

Mama Sue
06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I am

1985 kenworth
06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Getting there....lots of late nights this week.....lol.....which is actually normal however wr are unusually busy this week just piling on the trailer loads...i think because last week of school for kids

Supermario
06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Almost ready. All that's left is clean all the trailers and trucks, pack them up and away we go:D:bounce:
The avalanche is gonna be full this year, unlike last year when I had 1 truck n 1 trailer. Amazing how much the fleet has grown since then:eek::D

See ya's in a few days! :D:D

Mario

1985 kenworth
06-26-2013, 12:28 AM
i hear you. I keep saying i need a bigger suv or another enclosed trailer...i hope they fit;)yea see you in a few days..looking forward to it:D

REV73
06-26-2013, 04:14 PM
bring your hip waders everyone!!! lets hope we don't need em!

Supermario
06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
i hear you. I keep saying i need a bigger suv or another enclosed trailer...i hope they fit;)yea see you in a few days..looking forward to it:D

I did a test packing in the back of the Avalanche last night and discovered the whole fleet don't fit!:eek: Looks like the tanker trailer is staying behind and two others have to go without the boxes I made for them:mad: the flatbed and reefer boxes are to big.....it's official, I need a trailer:eek::jaw:

Mario

1985 kenworth
06-26-2013, 09:46 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

civic83
06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
mike, none of that, you'll jinx us!, Mario, make more room, leave out something you don't need like extra clothes or something lol. Thank god I'm using my dads 18 foot cube van this year, between rc stuff and all the wood for the roads its a big load!

Mama Sue
06-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Can't leave clothes out, might scare people when they come by to see the rc's and we're naked...lol...

Radio Control Trucker
06-27-2013, 06:12 AM
So, :eek: Take the trucks... Leave Mario :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priorities, priorities, priorities... :thinking: :thinking:

- RCT :cool:

REV73
06-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Hey sue, just "borrow" a school bus for the trip down!

Mama Sue
07-03-2013, 08:26 AM
So, :eek: Take the trucks... Leave Mario :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Priorities, priorities, priorities... :thinking: :thinking:

- RCT :cool:

Hey sue, just "borrow" a school bus for the trip down!

My avalanche made it no problems...just no room for the girls to shop. lol.. Mario bought a new toy though..lol
Couldn't leave Mario at home as I totally forgot how to use my radio. Driving the bus would've been a hoot but probs not very comfy for the passengers...