PDA

View Full Version : How to make 'hubcaps'...

WhiteWolf McBride
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Admin:

I dunno where I should put this, so I thought here instead of 'jacking a vendor's thread, ok? If you move it, please let us all know where? Thanks.

Guys and Gals,

I hated to be 'jacking rockNmayhem's thread, but I think I found another simpler way to make the 'hubcaps' thats rather easy, and I may try it, just for giggles. I kept thinking of how I could use the crawler 'rock-ring' concept, but the central hub kept sneaking back in. So, use both, in a way.

You take the rim you want to make the 'hubcap' for, get some styrene/ABS tube thats the same OD as the ID inner rim, so it can slip inside the inner edge snugly. You'll also want to have some discs to act as the 'hubcaps'; I'm going to use a hole-cutter to make mine for the test.

Cut a strip-ring off the tubing, and then glue this to your hubcap-disc. This will hold your hubcap centered on your rim, and not let rotational forced spin it lopsided and off. Think of it as those clips that engage the rim on your car.

Now in the center of the disk, you're going to mount a magnet, a decent small neodynium would be best. It needs to be spaced so the magnet contacts your axle-nut as the hubcap rests against the rim-edge. This is what does most of the holding (hence a decent magnet)

Presto.

A variation of this would be put a button-head allen or torx-drive bolt thru the hole, use extenders on the axle, then the inner trim ring might not be needed.

So, what do people think? I'll try to get pics of crude examples of each posted if people like the idea...

WhiteWolf

PS: Do we have a "DIY/Make It Yerself" tip area?

1985 kenworth
02-15-2013, 06:29 AM
That would be cool to see pics.thats a great idea....a section where you can post diy ideas that you thought of and can share with others

1985 kenworth
02-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Of course most post ideas in the tech section under the various headings from which it pertains to... ie... paint,electronics...etc

Lil Giants
02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Admin:

PS: Do we have a "DIY/Make It Yerself" tip area?

Yes we do, Truck Building Tech ;)

dabears
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Our just buy chrome plated snap covers and call it a day. Fits perfect for fronts and works for rears as well...

WhiteWolf McBride
02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
dabears,

You mean like the ones that have H and C on 'em and go onto the top of your fawcet knobs? That kinda thing? Haven't seen many sizes that fit 'just right', but thats an idea too.

See, get a fe of us thinking along the same lines, and outside the box, and other things pop right out!

Whitewolf (will try top get pics up soon)

PS: hit a windfall, seems Disability will pay for my Tenants/Renters Insurance (or a chunk) and ~will~ do back-pay. Looks like $400, mebbe more! Now to decide: PMD-Tamiya or Carson-Goldhofer...

dabears
02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
NO not hot and cold faucet tops. Snap covers are little plastic covers that go over actual snaps like a coat snap.

WhiteWolf McBride
02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Ah...

I know Reg's are solid (just saw them) but think of a 'cap' that could be added like this... but they all don't have to be as fancy...

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/RCP57/IMG_0174.jpg

And dabears: Um, so they make 'em that big? You're looking at bigger than an inch in diameter... I don't think I've ever seen snap-covers that big. DIY button-making, yes (yanno, pin-on, etc) Gotta pic or source?

There... finally got image to show up... and sweet work Reg, VERY sweet.

doodlebug
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Look em up in mc master Carr, and see if you can supersize them?
Cheers, Neil.

dabears
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Oh you want to make psh on hub caps like on cars.... Why? I was talking 1/2" hubs to cover the axle nut not full out hub caps.. Why dont you just cut a circle out of styrene and make them that way then?