PDA

View Full Version : Stahl 922 help

Kaf343
02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
This has most likely been covered here somewhere but I have not found and answer yet. I bought a Stahl 922 escavator recently and just recieved it today. looks great, however it did not come with a radio so I need to install my Spetrum in it tonight but not sure what servos plug into what chanel. In addition I am looking for the instructions for this 922 in English or German put have not been able to find anywhere.

If anyone out there first of all can tell me what servos to hook where on my reciever and secondly if someone has the origanal instructions or new ones converted to English that I could buy a copy of, please let me know.

Lil Giants
02-19-2013, 03:23 PM
boom - throttle
swing - rudder
eleveron - stick
aileron - bucket

DX8 you are using? And what esc for the tracks? Probably best to use Aux 1 & Aux 2.

You putting an esc on the pump too? ch Aux 3 (should be the knob dial)

Instructions are nothing like Tamiya or wdc with any sort of detailed script or drawings, just some dark blk/wht photos & very little script... you're not missing out on anything.

Kaf343
02-19-2013, 06:09 PM
boom - throttle
swing - rudder
eleveron - stick
aileron - bucket

DX8 you are using? And what esc for the tracks? Probably best to use Aux 1 & Aux 2.

You putting an esc on the pump too? ch Aux 3 (should be the knob dial)

Instructions are nothing like Tamiya or wdc with any sort of detailed script or drawings, just some dark blk/wht photos & very little script... you're not missing out on anything.

Thanks Joe,

Yes I'm using a Dx8, I set up the boom, swing, stick and bucket per your recommendation. I'm not sure of the ESC that came with it, here is a pic.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q564/kaf343/Escavator/3cb75a2599745304d41fc686c52c34a0.jpg

I've set up the two wires coming off the ESC as aux1 and aux2, and it drives with both tracks forward and backwards when I use aux1. When I switch aux2 on and off the right track drops out and it steers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I assumed on my DX8 aux1 would control left track and aux2 would control right track. Any help would be appreciated. As for the pump it runs continuos when the switch is on.

Tp_hofmann
02-19-2013, 08:23 PM
This has most likely been covered here somewhere but I have not found and answer yet. I bought a Stahl 922 escavator recently and just recieved it today. looks great, however it did not come with a radio so I need to install my Spetrum in it tonight but not sure what servos plug into what chanel. In addition I am looking for the instructions for this 922 in English or German put have not been able to find anywhere.

If anyone out there first of all can tell me what servos to hook where on my reciever and secondly if someone has the origanal instructions or new ones converted to English that I could buy a copy of, please let me know.

Have a look here:

http://www.leimbach-modellbau.de/Anleitungen/Kettenbagger/Baggeranleitung_2010.pdf

Lil Giants
02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
That's Liembach's esc, it always works in mix mode, can't turn it off for individual ch function like the choice you'd have with a Sabertooth.

I'd move from Aux 1 to Aux 3 so the knob will give proportional control for/rev. Then Aux 2 used for steering.

With the 3pos switch centered on Aux 2, it should drive straight, and up or down should steer lt/rt... is it doing that?

I was using some 9amp Banebot esc's for pump control, but Robotmarketplace no longer can get them. But this one from E-flite seems to be a suitable replacement and even has a lipo cut off should you choose to use one... although the lower voltage of 9 to 12.6 will slow down the hyd speed vs a 10 cell @13.4v fully charged.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-EFLA105.html

Then setting up the mix on the radio is super simple & will extend batt run times greatly not having the pump run wide open all the time. ;)

Kaf343
02-20-2013, 05:15 AM
Have a look here:

http://www.leimbach-modellbau.de/Anleitungen/Kettenbagger/Baggeranleitung_2010.pdf

Tp, thank you very much. I was ale to download and print. Now off to my buddy to interpolate to English.

Thanks again

Kaf343
02-20-2013, 07:56 AM
That's Liembach's esc, it always works in mix mode, can't turn it off for individual ch function like the choice you'd have with a Sabertooth.

I'd move from Aux 1 to Aux 3 so the knob will give proportional control for/rev. Then Aux 2 used for steering.

With the 3pos switch centered on Aux 2, it should drive straight, and up or down should steer lt/rt... is it doing that?

I was using some 9amp Banebot esc's for pump control, but Robotmarketplace no longer can get them. But this one from E-flite seems to be a suitable replacement and even has a lipo cut off should you choose to use one... although the lower voltage of 9 to 12.6 will slow down the hyd speed vs a 10 cell @13.4v fully charged.

Then setting up the mix on the radio is super simple & will extend batt run times greatly not having the pump run wide open all the time. ;)

Joe, Thanks for the help again. OK, I switched the aux1 to aux3 and yes that seems to run straight and yes that way I can control th espeed as well. I ordered one of the ESC's you recomended and I am going to try to mix my radio so the pump only energizes with a call for function.

I have a Stahl WA500 as well but it has Servonaut for ESC and hydraulic control and the pump shuts off after a few seconds of no stick control. I would like to add sound to both machines as well, I am assuming the WA500 will be no problem as it already has Servonaut so I can just add a SMX.

What do you think the best option for the 922 would be considering the existing ESC? or should I just cahnge everything to Servonaut?

Thanks in advance.

Kaf343
02-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Im wondering if I can use this power supply to run my 922 when its sitting in one location? Any thoughts?

http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-12V.htm

Lil Giants
02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I've used a 600+amp car batt with these models before without trouble, your choice of supply should be fine.

Do you have the endless spin slip ring for the tracks? If so, then you can't run the power supply wires through the pivot point, but rather they'll be coming out the top engine hood.

I was running two AA 2700NiMH in my 922 hoe, but only with the basic electronics, it was a tight fit on the left side... might be room for just a sound system too. One 2700 would power the hyd pump for about 40 mins, the 2nd one would last for hours running everything else.

I don't mess around with the extras. Somebody else will need to answer your Servonaut question, if the sound system will work by itself or does it need Servonaut speed control as well.

fhhhstix
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
You can use the Servonaut with the electronics you have and it will work just fine. I have the SMX in my dozer with the sabertooth ESC. I have the SMT in my track loader with the sabertooth ESC and I also have an SMT in a truck with other brands of electronics and all three work fine.

If you have any questions just ask.

Travis

Kaf343
02-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Joe, just tried switching the aux1 to aux3, and now with aux2 three position switch centered the left track moves slow in either direction when moving aux 3 knob. When aux2 switch is up or down both tracks move in either direction when turning aux3 knob.

I tried switching aux2 with aux3 as well and that's worse when switching aux2 one track goes forward and the other backward.

Sorry to bother you, but any thoughts?

Kaf343
02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
You can use the Servonaut with the electronics you have and it will work just fine. I have the SMX in my dozer with the sabertooth ESC. I have the SMT in my track loader with the sabertooth ESC and I also have an SMT in a truck with other brands of electronics and all three work fine.

If you have any questions just ask.

Travis

Thanks Travis, I'm trying to get a SMX from Ric. As soon as he gets them in from Servonaut I'll get one and then try it. I'm surveillance be asking for help if that's OK.

fhhhstix
02-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks Travis, I'm trying to get a SMX from Ric. As soon as he gets them in from Servonaut I'll get one and then try it. I'm surveillance be asking for help if that's OK.

Yep no problem I will be glad to help.

Travis

Lil Giants
02-20-2013, 09:43 PM
No bother, we'll get you squared up & running smoothly.

Sounds like you need to adjust "center" for aux 2 so both tracks travel equal speed, same direction when moving Aux 3 for/rev.

Go to menu - servo adjustment - (travel will appear, click it) scroll to sub trim to fine tune center of Aux 2.

Also under servo adjustment, you may want to adjust turning speed of Aux 2, being that the 3pos switch is +100% > 0% > -100%. Go back to Travel to lower + - for both directions for slower control... but much less than +-100 and the tracks won't spin opposite each other when Aux 3 is engage, rather one track will just slow down. Your preference how you'd like it to work. ;)

I was hoping to get my 2x25 Sabertooth in my JD850 to work just like your's is now, but it didn't... I had to incorporate the flight mode switch & jiggle with the subtrim & travel of both Aux 1 & 3... it's so complicated I can't remember how I did it. :confused: So be real careful to never short out that dual esc you have b/c they're extremely pricy to replace. :)

Kaf343
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
No bother, we'll get you squared up & running smoothly.

Sounds like you need to adjust "center" for aux 2 so both tracks travel equal speed, same direction when moving Aux 3 for/rev.

Go to menu - servo adjustment - (travel will appear, click it) scroll to sub trim to fine tune center of Aux 2.

Also under servo adjustment, you may want to adjust turning speed of Aux 2, being that the 3pos switch is +100% > 0% > -100%. Go back to Travel to lower + - for both directions for slower control... but much less than +-100 and the tracks won't spin opposite each other when Aux 3 is engage, rather one track will just slow down. Your preference how you'd like it to work. ;)

I was hoping to get my 2x25 Sabertooth in my JD850 to work just like your's is now, but it didn't... I had to incorporate the flight mode switch & jiggle with the subtrim & travel of both Aux 1 & 3... it's so complicated I can't remember how I did it. :confused: So be real careful to never short out that dual esc you have b/c they're extremely pricy to replace. :)

Well I will mess around with it tonight, but as of this morning still no go. I think part of my problem is not knowing which of the two plugs coming from the ESC should be Aux2 or Aux3, I have tried switching them but still cant get Aux3 to control direction and Aux2 to control steering. Ive tried centering Aux2. There are three adjustment pots on top of the ESC, they seem to fine tune the speed but do not help with the direction.

The best I've gotten so far is Aux3 to control speed forward and reverse, but Aux 2 has to be in the up position. When its in the midle position the ESC does nothing. When putting Aux2 in the lower position the tracks reverse direction. When putting Aux3 in the center position one track goes forward fast and the other goes in reverse faster.

So having said that I think i'm just spinning wheels or tracks (LOL) until I understand what the actual function of the ESC is, in specific there are two wires coming from the ESC that will be plugged into the Reciever, which one gets plugged into Aux2 and which one into Aux3 and is one for forward and reverse and the other for steering or is one for the left track and one for the right track. And lastly what are the three trim pots on the ESC used for? :confused::confused:

Lil Giants
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
The best I've gotten so far is Aux3 to control speed forward and reverse, but Aux 2 has to be in the up position. When its in the midle position the ESC does nothing. When putting Aux2 in the lower position the tracks reverse direction. When putting Aux3 in the center position one track goes forward fast and the other goes in reverse faster.

This sounding like how my Sabertooth behaved in mix mode... your earlier post I thought it was working differently.

So you have been messing with the 3 pots too?

The 2 rx leads from the esc are not marked, but yes, 1 is for for/rev & the other is steering. Can't turn off mix for individual control of each motor.

In order to get the 3 pots properly calibrated again & figure which rx lead does what... plug the two rx leads into throttle & rudder, which will be your left gimbal if the radio is set in Mode 2 configuration.

With two fully proportional chs you should then be able to make the esc perform properly with calibrating the 3 pots on the esc.

Once you know which rx lead is for direction (for/rev), plug that into Aux 3. Steering will be Aux 2.

Then try again to see if Aux 2 will behave properly for steering.

Kaf343
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Ok, tried that. When rudder is turned left one track goes forward and one goes backward, when turned right the tracks turn opposite. But when I move throttle up or down, nothing happens.

As far as the pots, I only turned them about a quarter turn and then back to there original position. I'm starting to think there is a problem with the ESC, I switched the throttle and rudder for each other and still the steering works but no forward or reverse. The lights on the ESC come on and off when I move the stick for throttle but no track movement.

Lil Giants
02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Who did you buy this from & what radio were they using? Did they ever have it operational or did they give up in the build of it?

Ok, tried that. When rudder is turned left one track goes forward and one goes backward, when turned right the tracks turn opposite. But when I move throttle up or down, nothing happens.

I would say from the script above that rudder is direction for/rev, but the power wires need to be reversed on one motor, either motor, so both motors will then travel same direction together.

Unlike the Sabertooth, the Leimbach esc will not steer without directional movement, you have to moving forward or reverse to engage steering.

While travelling forward (for instance), if you move the steering ch 15% throw, one of the tracks slow down a bit, 30% - slower movement yet. Perhaps at 50% throw that one particular track stops while the unaffected one keeps spinning at its original speed. At 75% throw the stopped track starts going opposite direction, 100% throw it's travelling the same speed reversed as the other going forward.

Kaf343
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Who did you buy this from & what radio were they using? Did they ever have it operational or did they give up in the build of it?

I would say from the script above that rudder is direction for/rev, but the power wires need to be reversed on one motor, either motor, so both motors will then travel same direction together.

Unlike the Sabertooth, the Leimbach esc will not steer without directional movement, you have to moving forward or reverse to engage steering.

While travelling forward (for instance), if you move the steering ch 15% throw, one of the tracks slow down a bit, 30% - slower movement yet. Perhaps at 50% throw that one particular track stops while the unaffected one keeps spinning at its original speed. At 75% throw the stopped track starts going opposite direction, 100% throw it's travelling the same speed reversed as the other going forward.

I bought this from a guy out in Cali. It was never used outside of his hobby room from what he said and certainly from the way it looks. I will reach out to him tomorrow to see if he ever drove it. I know he dug with it in a little sand box he had in his room.

Your thought on the motor wires make sense, I'll give that a shot over the weekend. It looks like they terminate on the left side of the ESC.

Thanks Joe

Lil Giants
02-21-2013, 07:12 PM
If it's not working precisely this way, then try adjusting the 3 pots... I can't remember what pot does what, some experimenting for you to do. ;) And do this esc calibrating with the gimbal chs (throttle/rudder).

Once it does work properly, then put for/rev rx lead into Aux 3 and steering rx lead into Aux 1 or 2 (your choice), then tell me what happens. :)

Lil Giants
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Your thought on the motor wires make sense, I'll give that a shot over the weekend. It looks like they terminate on the left side of the ESC.

There's a motor terminal on the lower left & another on the lower right.

Kaf343
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
I think we got er Joe, I switched the two leads on the small terminal strip for the right drive motor. Got both tracks going in the same direction. Messed with the pots a little more and no it seems to be functioning correctly. With Aux3 in either direction both tracks move in the same direction. When Aux2 is switched from center position to either up or down one track drops out.

The only thing I think I need to work on now is getting both tracks to turn at the same speed when moving forward or reverse. I've tried to fine tune with the pots but its still a little off, not to bad though. I marked both tracks in the same spot and ran them one full revolution and I've got it down to the tape marks ending up about two tracks off, not bad.

Thanks again for your help in getting me here. I really appreciate it.

Lil Giants
02-22-2013, 08:09 PM
You're welcome Keith, happy to help if I'm able. :)

I think sub trim of Aux 2 needs a little a tweaking which ever side to even out track speed.

Good to know that the Leimbach esc is capable of using a 3pos switch for steering... it makes sense to me now why the Sabertooth does not. Thank you. ;)