PDA

View Full Version : Taps and dies... source/type?

WhiteWolf McBride
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Guys...

I've looked about locally, and haven't had much luck in finding a set of small-size metric taps and dies, so as usual, its to eBay I head...

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier? I'm looking for M2, 2.5, 3, 4 & 5, all the standard Tamiya sizes. Mebbe even an M1. What are the pitches of the ones used by Tamiya?

I'd also like recommendations on the drill bits needed to make the holes before tapping, and the sizes needed to make a hole clear of the threads (is there a chart somewhere?)

I'm asking as I've got a few minor projects that are assembled out of keystock, and I don't have the facilities/money to get the pieces welded/braised/whatever.

Thanks in advance,
WhiteWolf

buzzy16
02-23-2013, 07:04 PM
I found a good ebay store, and they also have a website, i'm pretty sure you can contact them and ask if they dont have what you need.

ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Eastadd-Products-Ltd/Tap-Die-/_i.html?_fsub=2253534014&_sid=990579604&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

website: http://www.eastadd.co.uk/hand-tap-die-category-40.html?osCsid=f3c549a4b29d9730eac43a118734dc7b

RCP57
02-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Acklands Grainger sells some good quality small taps but in my opinion(doesn't mean much) they are very expensive. I agree with Sharkey that the Crappy Tire stuff is junk. I bought a set last year because it was 70% off and I wanted some spares. The dies work OK but the taps don't thread Aluminum very well. I guess that's why one good tap costs as much as a whole set from China. The majority of my stuff was made by Greenfield and it works very nice. I was lucky enough to have purchased most of mine from a fellow modeller that was getting out of the hobby so I didn't have to pay the big price for quality.

Reg

Izzy
02-24-2013, 05:33 AM
If your in the states - I suggest Reid Tool Supply. I prefer the Greenfield tooling - I've tapped hundres of hole with the same tap.

BTW - proper lubricant is essencial.....:)

pugs
02-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Myself, I have never liked the taps that come in the kits and prefer to build my own set.

If using cut style taps I highly recommend getting ones with spiral points, sometimes called gun taps. I typically prefer OSG brand. If you can get use to using different size tap drills, form taps can be amazing in aluminum and low carbon steel. For form taps I prefer Balax brand and have a M2 tap that has done around 5k holes and still looks like new, granted that is rigid tapping in a cnc but they work good for me by hand as well. Only thing to watch out for on form taps other than the larger drill size is to countersink the hole a bit as the first thread will be pushed up above the top of the hole a little bit from the forming process.

Dies, the choices are limited more. I'm usually single pointed threads on the cnc so can't give much advice on them.

And yes get some good tap and die lube to use, there are several out there.

scalelover
02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
If you are looking more for a decent price set that will work the IRWIN brand is not bad, most places don't stock the small sizes like we use but they can be ordered and they have a kit from 1.5-5.0mm. I get all mine from a machine tool shop but have used the Irwin's at home in the past with good success.

Balax would be the brand I'd recommend for quality but pricing is definitely higher than most like, but buy it once and done is what's nice. They also have really nice hand use taps made out of hexagon rod so you don't necessarily need to buy holders for them.

As stated above get some good quality lube, it makes all the difference with any tap.

--Dan

ihbuilder
02-24-2013, 10:24 AM
but what are we to use if you can't get moly dee any more :confused: I guess IH's formula will suffice yet ;)