PDA

View Full Version : Problems with ESC and Receiver connections

farmhauler
03-27-2013, 08:29 AM
I am new at this and ignorant when it comes to electronics so please have patience :D
I recently bought an ESC and receiver for my king hauler. In the instruction manual, it has a large switch coming out of the ESC that gets installed in the chrome plate behind the sleeper cab. My ESC does have a switch, but it is much too small and the wire is much too short. The receiver came with a switch that fits perfectly into the chrome plate, however I am not sure how to properly connect this to the receiver and ESC. Also, am I able to leave the ESC switch on? It is in a tight spot and getting at it from the sleeper cab would be a hassle. Thanks!

dabears
03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Have any pics or specs as to which ones your using ? From the sound of it yes you should be able to leave one in and turn the other off but I'm not too sure in the receiver having a switch usually the esc does? Usually the esc gives the power to the receiver and the esc switch cuts all off... Could cut a hole in the sleeper floor for the esc switch to be toggled. Pics or part numbers would help a lot

farmhauler
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Im using a Futaba R2004GF 4 channel receiver with a Li-Po TAZER 12T ESC.

farmhauler
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Dynamite Li-Po TAZER 12T ESC***

dabears
03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
The receiver shouldn't have a switch... The ESC though should and switching that on and off will shut of your receiver. I have both of those here and my receiver does not have a switch... May be an optional piece maybe? what I would do if you want is just make the esc switch longer... Cut it off get a bigger switch (if you want to mount in the plate) and extend the wires. It'll take some soldering if you know how as I wouldn't recommend using electrical tape to keep them together. Just my .02
just remember to cut the wires near the middle and not too close to the switch or the esc, and never cut them with the battery connected.... ( the sparks are little not worth trying....)

farmhauler
03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Ya it must be some sort of optional piece. I am just going to hide the switch under the cab or something and disregard the chrome plate. I left the other switch alone and hooked everything up and it seems fine. thanks!

Espeefan
03-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I think the switch that came with your radio and receiver is actually an on/off switch that you would use, if you were to run a separate receiver battery pack. Typically Futaba includes a bigger switch like that, but since you can power your receiver off the speed controller, you don't need to use the switch that came with the radio and receiver. But, if you really wanted to use it, you could. Just swap it out on your speed controller. You'd have to de-solder, or cut the wires off the ESC switch, then do the same for the larger receiver switch, and solder the ESC's wires back on to the bigger switch. Not very hard to do at all.

onestepbehind
03-28-2013, 06:22 AM
The more switches ya have in line the more connections to come loose in the Long run

farmhauler
03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
okay that makes sense. thanks guys

dabears
03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Glad we could help!

Espeefan
03-28-2013, 09:41 PM
The more switches ya have in line the more connections to come loose in the Long run

Agreed. That's why I suggested he replace the ESC switch with the other, larger switch, if he wanted. Not tie them in series.